Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake?

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ryanr said:
I was invited to join a birthday party in an Asian restaurant two days ago.
Small portions (surprisingly for a Chinese-Indonesian-Japanese restaurant), but the food was delicious.
I was shocked, though, when they served cangaroo meat. At first I thought it was a joke, but the waitresses said it really and truly was cangaroo.

I did not eat any of it.
Are cangaroos considered a plague in Australia?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cold&warm said:
I did not eat any of it.
Are cangaroos considered a plague in Australia?
Kangaroo is delicious, if served properly. It has to be rare, otherwise it gets too tough to eat. It's a delicious, lean meat.

In some areas, Kangaroo are considered to be over-populated, but I don't believe they're considered to be plague levels.

We also eat the other animal on our coat of arms, the emu.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mrtonytyl said:
Ummmm WOW!! First let me say I’m new to Fishlore so I had no idea threads like this were made here... But I’m so glad that people everywhere are cooking good hardy meals at home instead of going out and eating! Very happy!
I happen to be a Chef and am passionate about food and fish! Now seems like the perfect combination being here! Anyway last night testing a new meal; Teriyaki surf & Turf w/ sesame seaweed and sautéed cabbage on top of a bed of sushi rice, garnished with dried pineapples and cilantro. I was pretty happy with the outcome. How do you guys think it sounds, looks?
Hey welcome!

Dish looks and sounds delicious, so glad you shared it. Yeah this forum is crazy that way (in a good way) , incredible amount of info etc on a wide variety of topics. And lots of really nice and cool people who like to share and help each other out. I have asked questions about a lot of non fish related stuff and gotten some great advice. I have a question or need an opinion etc. I generally come here 1st. Keep posting pictures of dishes like that there will be lots of growling tummies on here

ThePetPavilion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nada Mucho said:
Cook yes, bake no. Baking takes way too much attention and timing of which I am in short supply. My best recipe is probably Baked Ziti and I've attached the recipe to this comment. Finding the pasta can sometimes be a challenge on the West Coast but you are in Jersey (my old stomping ground) and you'll find it easily.

View attachment 314825
I LOVE Baked Ziti!!!

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I ended up getting a pellet smoker this year to go along with my Blackstone griddle. The combination of the two are great.

Pork butt smoked over a fruit wood blend, injected with a garlic, butter, an apple butter rub, and some JD honey bourbon. Outside was a Dijon mustard and a apple garlic rub.
IMG_1111.JPG

Smoked grouper with butter, garlic, lemon, fresh rosemary and basil.

IMG_1102.JPG

Pork lion once again injected with an apple juice and some seasonings, I don’t remember which ones I used.

IMG_1098.JPG

Tri Tip with a Mexican style rub called Margarita Lime, injected with a beef broth, some of the rub and bourbon.

IMG_1093.JPG

One from the Blackstone Teriyaki Alligator, turned out great.

IMG_1100.JPG

Attachments

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@max h that looks delicious! Makes my dinner of homemade tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwich look pathetic.

Speaking of grilled cheese, does anyone else put yellow or spicy brown mustard in their grilled cheese?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had my mum come visit last month and she asked me for some photos and i found these pics of a chinese feast i cooked up for her.

I hit post instead of upload so if one of our lovely mods could merge it for me please.

1st pic is a potato eggplant and capsicum dish
2nd is sweet and sour potato
3rd is beef and mushrooms in a black pepper sauce
4th is spicy chicken in a weird split style photo
5th is leek and lamb
6th is chinese style stewed pork ribs.

Edit. I so clever i just realised i could of edit my original post

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
I hit post instead of upload so if one of our lovely mods could merge it for me please.

1st pic is a potato eggplant and capsicum dish
2nd is sweet and sour potato
3rd is beef and mushrooms in a black pepper sauce
4th is spicy chicken in a weird split style photo
5th is leek and lamb
6th is chinese style stewed pork ribs.

Edit. I so clever i just realised i could of edit my original post
Only the first picture initial showed up in Tapatalk. First thought on first sight : "Mmmmmm that's quite a sick looking Corydoras".

Appeares to be a delicious looking meal hahaha pffffffff.

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Soy-sake marinated salmon nigiri
44B0F075-2CAB-4A64-8AF1-5085CA95A93D.jpeg

I've also made rolls (California roll w/ tuna, spicy mayo, and eel sauce on top)
A11FB199-5D8D-4F2F-B293-8A16DD7FEBD0.jpeg

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
YATT said:
@smee82 and @DylanM serious skills and thanks for sharing! Yum
Thanks i love food, i definitely live to eat.

Going away tomorrow for a couple of days so i got a small bit of pork belly for a roast dinner tonight fresh from the market. Add in a few roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin/winter squash, carrots and perfect crackle on top and it doest get much better for a sunday roast.

The only problem was i had to share the crackle with my wife and daughter. I only got one bit my daughter pulled out "i love you more daddy can i have yours" and my wife claimed the baby in her belly wanted some too. At least i didnt have to share my beer other then my daughter sticking her finger in the head when my wife wasnt looking

Attachments

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It was my daughters birthday yesterday and she decided she wanted spicy lamb with a bone in it or lamb chops as its more commonly known. I put the plate of chops on the table and whent to get the rest if the dish3s and when i came back i found my daughter has gone through the pile of chops grabbed the biggest one and started chomping away. Little rat didnt even wait till anyone else was even seated.

Attachments

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Happy Birthday, Lil Miss Smee!!! :D:D A belated one I suppose and I regret not posting this when I first saw Dad's post. What a little beauty you are and you've got a great dad to boot.

This really brought a smile to my face.:) I also have a little carnivore on my hands and she just turned 7 a few weeks ago. She ate a whole ribeye by herself!:D Her sister is her polar opposite (though they are like two peas in a pod) and we have a very hard time getting protein into her, particularly lean protein. The lil ones bday is on Halloween so... Mom and Dad are giving in and she'll have hot dogs wrapped up like mummies that night.:confused::rolleyes::p

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
Happy Birthday, Lil Miss Smee!!! :D:D A belated one I suppose and I regret not posting this when I first saw Dad's post. What a little beauty you are and you've got a great dad to boot.

This really brought a smile to my face.:) I also have a little carnivore on my hands and she just turned 7 a few weeks ago. She ate a whole ribeye by herself!:D Her sister is her polar opposite (though they are like two peas in a pod) and we have a very hard time getting protein into her, particularly lean protein. The lil ones bday is on Halloween so... Mom and Dad are giving in and she'll have hot dogs wrapped up like mummies that night.:confused::rolleyes::p
Ive got a second in the oven now about half cooked and hopefully she eats like her big sister. Theres nothing she wont eat and believe me everyone in my family has tried to find something. She eats it all from anchovies to wasabi even eats stinky tofu and durian and will steal raw onions of the chopping board when im prepping dinner.

Tried my hand at a winter squash stuffed with spicy chilli fried rice last night, wasnt to bad but i forgot to buy onions.

Attachments

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Y'all know I'm a Gordon Ramsay fanboy, and he just released a new cookbook (called Quick and Delicious), and every meal takes about 30 mins! Perfect for those weeknight meals when you don't really want to cook, but don't want takeout. And a lot of them you probably already have the ingredients in the pantry/fridge.

It's been awhile, but tonight, pan-seared duck breast with pak choy and orange sauce
I can't find the recipe online, but seriously, check out the book, so many easy, great recipes.

Oh, and whilst not in the recipe, I infused the rice with Star Anise and clove (absorption method)... Better than plain old white rice. And added some orange zest strands and spring onion (scallions in the USA?)

1572427103043.png

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A few recent creations.....

Crispy skin duck with blueberry sauce, served on a bed of carrot, pumpkin and ginger puree, and a side of duck fat roasted potatoes.
1572946676686.png

Fish and chips with an orange and basil beurre blanc
1572946808897.png

A warm kangaroo salad (sorry Skippy but a man’s gotta eat) - and yes, kangaroo needs to be rare, max med-rare
1572946903305.png

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@ryanr your dishes always look pretty i can never be bothered, everything gets its own plate here so its never sexy. I never used a set recipe ive always just gone with whatever i had in the cupboard, but theres a few of yours i wouldnt mine trying.

I finally got off my backside after a year and seasoned my cast iron work and christened it with carrots with leek and chilli. Also made honey soy chicken and air fried potato gems

Attachments

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ryanr said:
A few recent creations.....

Crispy skin duck with blueberry sauce, served on a bed of carrot, pumpkin and ginger puree, and a side of duck fat roasted potatoes.
View attachment 633287

Fish and chips with an orange and basil beurre blanc
View attachment 633288

A warm kangaroo salad (sorry Skippy but a man’s gotta eat) - and yes, kangaroo needs to be rare, max med-rare
View attachment 633289
You won me over at “Crispy skin duck”

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom