Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It was my wifes bday today and last week when we went out for dinner we had lamb chops and they tasted like they were par boiled the chucked in the fridge before being cooked (cooked is being generous more like warmed up) so i told her i would cook dome real chops for her birthday.

I ended up cooking spicy cabbage and garlic asparagus to go with it and a basic chocolate cake for desert. The chops were dry rubbed with salt, pepper, zi ran (i think its cumin in english but i could be wrong) and paprika (i ran out of sichuan peppers). I never had zi ran on lamb before i came to china but its a common lamb dish and really goes well with lamb. My favoutite lamb dish here is zi ran, chillies, onions and lamb.

I love my cast iron cookware theyre as good as a bqq except for the fact you have too cook indoors.

Attachments

YATT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
My wife made traditional chinese medicine for me as she is a doctor and it is seriously the most disgusting thing ive ever had. Chinese medicine tastes that bad you get better just so you dont have to have anymore.
Yes, I too have had to much Chinese medicine for my liking from my MIL. good for kidney, good for liver, good for blood, etc. always something. Almost all absolutely terrible. There was always this one she would make that wasn’t bad. It was corn silk, “chicken bone” (not chicken but some stick blend) and sugar.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

YATT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
stella1979 said:
Yay!!!... I mean yuk:sour:... I mean YAY YATT!!:woot: I understand being a little disappointed but it's still super awesome that you made sushi!

:wideyedinsert sweaty emoji):hungry: Put a little too much sriracha in the stir fry sauce tonight but it was yummy!
Mrs YATT and I love sushi and my 8 year old does too. Spend way too much on it. Mrs YATT doesn’t let me get to involved in the preparation. I told her nicely she’s using to much rice, but....anyway it was great. Next step is to get a wood bowl to mix the rice/vinegar and another knife (sushi specific because I like knives). She seems intent on making restaurant grade but I’m reminding her they work for years before they are allowed in a restaurant. Regardless or presentation, it is great.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
YATT said:
Mrs YATT and I love sushi and my 8 year old does too. Spend way too much on it. Mrs YATT doesn’t let me get to involved in the preparation. I told her nicely she’s using to much rice, but....anyway it was great. Next step is to get a wood bowl to mix the rice/vinegar and another knife (sushi specific because I like knives). She seems intent on making restaurant grade but I’m reminding her they work for years before they are allowed in a restaurant. Regardless or presentation, it is great.
Well, good job Mrs YATT then. In my defense, I have given sushi a fair shot more than once and it's just not for me. This islander loooves fish, just usually prefer it cooked. The only rare preparation I'm actually fond of is sesame seared yellowfin... and yep, it's yellowfin to me. Lol, I remember once googling what ahi tuna was and laughing to myself after finding out it's the same fish as one of our own prize catches 'round here. :hilarious: Never gave Uni a try and I'm fairly certain I don't want to... but I know it is prized by many a fine chef, so still, I say... good job! I'm so glad the family enjoyed a fine Sunday dinner.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was informed in no uncertain terms by my 2yr old daughter that she was having honey and soy chicken wings for dinner tonight. Lucky there were a few wings in the freezer. Made garlic broccoli and pizza with leftover beef ribs to go with it.

Attachments

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Has anyone a suggestion for a simple-to-make sauce to pour over pan-fried yellowfin tuna?
A nearby supermarket sells deepfrozen "steaks" about 0.8 inch high..

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lemon garlic butter sauce is my very favorite on fish (and chicken and I can't deny a greater love of batter-dipped and fried white fish with tartar sauce.) I've never had the following on tuna (because it's not my favorite and when I do eat it, I prefer it sesame seared, rare, and with a sweet & spicy Asian sauce) but I cannot imagine not liking garlic lemon butter sauce on any fish. It also meets the requirements of quick and easy.

The link leads to a sauce which is pretty close to how I make it. I'd just add, I think it's important that the butter used near the end is added slowly. I stir it in about a half tablespoon at a time, whisking lightly to incorporate fully before adding the next bit. Also, add some capers if you'd like. That sauce with capers was served over very delicately battered and browned yellow-tail snapper, and this was a favorite of my Mom's at a Key Largo restaurant that was a favorite of the whole family... the very restaurant where my 'step' dad (I don't think of him that way) proposed to my mom in the presence of family when I was just a tiny girl. This is a dear memory, the restaurant is still very popular, (The Fish House, Key Largo Florida) and trying this dish there when I was very young made me a life-long lover of, (and a bit of a snob about:hilarious well-cooked fresh fish.
https://lovefoodies.com/lemon-and-garlic-butter-sauce/

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, here's a family favourite, a recipe passed down through generations.

It's a northern Italian Pasta al forno accompagnate da insalata con condimento al vino cotto (Baked pasta/Lasgana with a Vino Cotto dressed salad)

I won't be sharing the recipe, as it's a bit of a family secret (but you might be able to figure it out )

c_oc=AQlacTwv-uB5rvynyA9x5uP7icxfiEhKTgNPWXRcKNxZKxAC2LtNmwEJ0KEZ_rjNez8&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

c_oc=AQnO6t6oRChSI7Bfxt5YyRRW_IJlPAWp8mFqRl3Wi1jPYlCWHt-uw_G8XurVptebocA&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

c_oc=AQmjBwvqYWJ_m0ONhIhcqk5GNLCyVszzj7F67HCq4DQzdTRNV4artcYiXSV626oWFPQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

c_oc=AQk3T-wS2Rp7ue5GdPdBZPNIjjmWpEpzmirBP5oSDPH15Ln4skP0-0amq7uJiFtkNjE&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

c_oc=AQkoL6i-xU-w1snVgywMT28igARKIS7j9jeftbm31MQGZP9oPao-akzgg-D-I0TfTqU&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, everyone must be starving, no updates for a couple of weeks :hilarious:

Anyway, here's tonight's Bloody mary linguine with chilli/garlic butter prawns
c_oc=AQlkCJ3RMNyTEjaMXbXDsXFIZmoYdcj37UzZboT-GIm6wppXAFfJg685nH3_f1QY3ss&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

The recipe is from Gordon Ramsay's cookbok, but just google the recipe, you'll find it
He uses lobster for this recipe, but it's so dang expensive here, that I opted for king prawns.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tonight, I give you Lamb chops with minty yoghurt accompanied by a chargrilled broccoli and bulghar wheat salad

c_oc=AQkJmoUYH9D9L4w-YQUg9E3HKbC0BBpTwzXB6BgLop3SvP4V3jcdtGRcXUORhjoKaEA&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

c_oc=AQlJRcsJvebNNHO7tH6Bhx6d1wJSSnncMCYlxq1TrncIwRDgIPmtJpnjCiXofbzYpW4&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

Recipe

Mrtonytyl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ummmm WOW!! First let me say I’m new to Fishlore so I had no idea threads like this were made here... But I’m so glad that people everywhere are cooking good hardy meals at home instead of going out and eating! Very happy!
I happen to be a Chef and am passionate about food and fish! Now seems like the perfect combination being here! Anyway last night testing a new meal; Teriyaki surf & Turf w/ sesame seaweed and sautéed cabbage on top of a bed of sushi rice, garnished with dried pineapples and cilantro. I was pretty happy with the outcome. How do you guys think it sounds, looks?

Attachments

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mrtonytyl said:
Ummmm WOW!! First let me say I’m new to Fishlore so I had no idea threads like this were made here... But I’m so glad that people everywhere are cooking good hardy meals at home instead of going out and eating! Very happy!
I happen to be a Chef and am passionate about food and fish! Now seems like the perfect combination being here! Anyway last night testing a new meal; Teriyaki surf & Turf w/ sesame seaweed and sautéed cabbage on top of a bed of sushi rice, garnished with dried pineapples and cilantro. I was pretty happy with the outcome. How do you guys think it sounds, looks?
Welcome brother! There's all kinds of threads here on Fishlore!
And that looks delicious ! Sounds amazing too!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mrtonytyl said:
Anyway last night testing a new meal; Teriyaki surf & Turf w/ sesame seaweed and sautéed cabbage on top of a bed of sushi rice, garnished with dried pineapples and cilantro. I was pretty happy with the outcome. How do you guys think it sounds, looks?
Hiya, welcome to Fishlore!
Your recipe sounds, umm, interesting. The dried pineapple and coriander (sorry, cilantro for Americans ) sounds interesting.

Tonight, I did baked chicken breast marinated in buttermilk, garlic and parsley. Roast carrots, and duck fat roasted potato and sweet potato.
c_oc=AQlV2RqrRgPHR8NAJHPuBQzc49eNxBeCDpYr0NrEAKbKOKj0py1dZsVvvfHvpA68R-o&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.jpg

Recipes are nothing fancy.
For the chicken marinade (for two large breasts), about 1 1/2 cup of butternilk, good handful of fresh chopped parsley, couple of cloves of crushed garlic, mix, and pour over chicken for minimum 1hr. (for best results, 24 hour marinating). You could also put chicken in a ziplock bag and marinade that way... whatever suits you.

For the veggies, same old roast veggie recipes I've used previously.

The chicken took about 40 mins at 400F/200C, but depending on size, yours might be quicker/longer. If you have a meat thermometer, use it. Check at 25-30 mins, if it's about 65C/150F, if not, put it back in and check again in about 10 minutes. Don't open the oven too often, as you're just letting heat out. If you have an in oven thermometer, perfect.

When done, pull it out and let it rest, for minimum 10 mins (It will reach the FDAA temp while resting). The rule of thumb is let it rest as long as you cook it. If you don't have a thermometer, you can by touch (if you know what you're doing), or wait until it feels firmish and the juices run clear. Unlike other proteins, you can't serve chicken under-cooked.

Breasts are notoriously difficult to cook properly, but this recipe, the buttermilk helps tenderise the chicken and keep it moist, so don't be afraid to cook a little longer to be sure, as it will still be succulent, moist and delicious.

Last note: if you don't have buttermilk, you could probably use natural yoghurt.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom