Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 47

Lorli

Today I tried to bake a pumpkin pie for the first time. I found all the recipes to be overly complikated, so I skipped a few steps like pre-baking the crust, covering the edges of the crust with foil, and also realized I havo no cream for the filling and didn't feel like waiting in line outside the shop (quarantine measures) just for it, so skipped it too. It turned out quite good looking, despite of some cracks. All the recipes said to let it cool off completely, or at least for an hour, but who has that kind of self control, that's insanity. So I cut it after half an hour. The insides are a complete mush, I wonder if they solidify as it completely cools off. Despite it, somehow, it was really delicious. I topped it with sweetened greek yoghurt with vanilla, it was great. I think I'll go have some more.
I always make my late mother's recipe but this year I used a packaged crust from the store for the very first time. My mother would be horrified if she knew.

I believe some people used tinned evaporated milk instead of cream.

Sorry to butt in here but I love baking and couldn't resist.

aoiumi

Just made a simple supper of spaghetti, fresh tomato, cooked chicken, diced onion, fresh garlic, and olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes until beautifully brown, add the thin-sliced chicken and tomatos, cook a few more minutes, than add salt, pepper, some lemon juice, spaghetti, toss it all together, then plate and top with grated hard cheese and some fresh herbs. (today was asiago and basil, as they were what I had on hand) Love what you can make with some simple ingredients and a bit of time. And so tasty!

BigManAquatics

Ok.

Apple Cake

4 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp melted butter or margarine
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix apples and nuts in large mixing bowl. Sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.

Combine eggs, vanilla, butter and sugar. Add to apples and nuts and mix well. Mix in dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Batter will be stiff. Spread in a bittered and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 F until toothpick comes out clean, around 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of batter in the pan before baking.

V1K

Just made a simple supper of spaghetti, fresh tomato, cooked chicken, diced onion, fresh garlic, and olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes until beautifully brown, add the thin-sliced chicken and tomatos, cook a few more minutes, than add salt, pepper, some lemon juice, spaghetti, toss it all together, then plate and top with grated hard cheese and some fresh herbs. (today was asiago and basil, as they were what I had on hand) Love what you can make with some simple ingredients and a bit of time. And so tasty!
Sounds delicious! But this reminds me - I don't get frying/sauteeing garlic. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but fried garlic smells bad, as soon as it makes contact with hot oil, it's ruined. Whenever a recipe says I should fry it until brown, I don't do that and just add crushed garlic near the end of cooking, along with herbs.

Coradee

Ok.

Apple Cake

4 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp melted butter or margarine
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix apples and nuts in large mixing bowl. Sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.

Combine eggs, vanilla, butter and sugar. Add to apples and nuts and mix well. Mix in dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Batter will be stiff. Spread in a bittered and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 F until toothpick comes out clean, around 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of batter in the pan before baking.

thank you, will definitely give this one a try, probably after Christmas now though

Prest12

Sounds delicious! But this reminds me - I don't get frying/sauteeing garlic. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but fried garlic smells bad, as soon as it makes contact with hot oil, it's ruined. Whenever a recipe says I should fry it until brown, I don't do that and just add crushed garlic near the end of cooking, along with herbs.
I find that brown = burnt. However long it says to cook the garlic, cut that time in half.

StarGirl

I always see it say "sauté until fragrant". I can't smell so that doesn't help me. But if it smells as soon as hits the oil IDK what to tell you there. I guess do what you do!

PascalKrypt

I think it is related to 'burning' spices (not sure what the proper english culinary translation would be). If you fry things like garlic and chili flakes as well as most ground spices briefly at a very hot temperature they change structure which strongly affects the scent, flavour and even the texture they add to food later. I failed miserably at cooking curries from scratch until someone gave me that tip. The trick though is briefly. Which for garlic and e.g. sambal is very, very briefly and not at max temperature. My electric stove has 17 settings, I put garlic on at the 14th or 15th for maybe 10 seconds straight after I can feel the oil packing heat. Then immediately add sliced or diced onion to soak up the rest of the oil so the garlic and sambal doesn't go black.
Smells really, really great if you can get it right

ForceTen

Today I tried to bake a pumpkin pie for the first time. I found all the recipes to be overly complikated, so I skipped a few steps like pre-baking the crust, covering the edges of the crust with foil, and also realized I havo no cream for the filling and didn't feel like waiting in line outside the shop (quarantine measures) just for it, so skipped it too. It turned out quite good looking, despite of some cracks. All the recipes said to let it cool off completely, or at least for an hour, but who has that kind of self control, that's insanity. So I cut it after half an hour. The insides are a complete mush, I wonder if they solidify as it completely cools off. Despite it, somehow, it was really delicious. I topped it with sweetened greek yoghurt with vanilla, it was great. I think I'll go have some more.

Personally I prefer tater pie. Its a southern thing. Sweet potato pie. Easy as can be. And yes, no issue with a frozen pie shell.

The reason recipes and instructions advise to saute the garlic in oil is to flavor the oil and to bloom the garlic. You will hear a chef say to saute only long enough to smell the fragrance.
Never saute garlic to dark brown. Slightly browned is fine. And is the key to many dishes.
Many people including myself like the smell of garlic fried or fresh.
In fact I smell garlic right now. I have a pork roast marinating in a Cuban Mojo. Mojo is loaded with garlic.
Some people don't like garlic. Hard to believe but true.

StarGirl

Personally I prefer tater pie. Its a southern thing. Sweet potato pie. Easy as can be. And yes, no issue with a frozen pie shell.

The reason recipes and instructions advise to saute the garlic in oil is to flavor the oil and to bloom the garlic. You will hear a chef say to saute only long enough to smell the fragrance.
Never saute garlic to dark brown. Slightly browned is fine. And is the key to many dishes.
Many people including myself like the smell of garlic fried or fresh.
In fact I smell garlic right now. I have a pork roast marinating in a Cuban Mojo. Mojo is loaded with garlic.
Some people don't like garlic. Hard to believe but true.
Ohhhh I love Cuban pork......Theres a place in the Keys that has a fantastic Cuban Pulled Pork sandwich. Thats what I get there every time.

ForceTen

Ohhhh I love Cuban pork......Theres a place in the Keys that has a fantastic Cuban Pulled Pork sandwich. Thats what I get there every time.

My grandparents lived in Key West. I lived in Miami for many years.
Yes, the Cuban pork roast is really good. I will make sure the skin gets good and crispy.
I am also making black beans and rice, plantains, tossed green lettuce salad and garlic bread.

aoiumi

Some other people have said stuff about this too. I love garlic, and browning it, but the key is to not burn it. I know it sounds silly but, to misquote something I read, you have to be careful because browned garlic tastes very good, but burnt(or charred) garlic is very bitter.

When you do toss garlic in oil, it does smell odd - I find it smells almost fruity, or floral. Not garlicky and definitively not burnt. It still tastes super garlicky, but it smells, again, almost floral. It's a very distinct scent.

If the garlic does burn, then it will taste horrid. I think it's different sometimes with grilling meat and whatnot, but when it comes to putting just garlic in hot oil, you want to avoid burning at all costs.

Actually, do you think it's that floral scent you were thinking was bad? Or does it smell like something else entirely?

V1K

Some other people have said stuff about this too. I love garlic, and browning it, but the key is to not burn it. I know it sounds silly but, to misquote something I read, you have to be careful because browned garlic tastes very good, but burnt(or charred) garlic is very bitter.

When you do toss garlic in oil, it does smell odd - I find it smells almost fruity, or floral. Not garlicky and definitively not burnt. It still tastes super garlicky, but it smells, again, almost floral. It's a very distinct scent.

If the garlic does burn, then it will taste horrid. I think it's different sometimes with grilling meat and whatnot, but when it comes to putting just garlic in hot oil, you want to avoid burning at all costs.

Actually, do you think it's that floral scent you were thinking was bad? Or does it smell like something else entirely?
i couldn't remember the smell enough to tell if it's floral or not, so I decided to do an experiment and just fry a small piece of garlic in order to mindfully observe the change of its smell. I set the fire extra low in order to be able to follow the change better and... managed to fry it without it stinking up. Then for the second round I threw some into a fully heated pan, and yeah, instant change of smell to the worse. It sort of reminds me of a stove gas smell. I guess you just can't fry garlic on the same intensity you'd fry onion?

Prest12

So, even though every recipe says to cook the garlic over medium high heat, they really mean low heat? I should try that next time.

BettasAreSuperior

Also, has anyone made mango pie? I have never but I am apprehensive to try making it.

BigManAquatics

Sweet potato pie is good, but buttermilk pie takes the cake!!

Prest12

I have some leftover shredded chicken from last nights dinner. Anybody have ideas on what I can do with it?

StarGirl

I have some leftover shredded chicken from last nights dinner. Anybody have ideas on what I can do with it?
How much? White chicken chili? BBQ pulled chicken sandwich?

Prest12

About 2 cups. Chili sounds good. Sandwich was my first thought, but I don’t have bread.

StarGirl

About 2 cups. Chili sounds good. Sandwich was my first thought, but I don’t have bread.
I guess it depends if you have White beans or not then?

BigManAquatics

Bake some bread! Problem solved!

Prest12

Bake some bread! Problem solved!
Well I was going to just make the soup, but now you’ve made me want bread with it. Guess it’s dinner at midnight today.

AquaBaby

Chicken pot pie
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken & dumplings
Chicken over a salad
Chicken vegetable soup
Chicken & potato chowder
Chicken salad on crackers
Chicken Alfredo with steamed veggies
Chicken fried rice

I love left over chicken. There's so much you can do with it!

AcornTheBetta

Chicken pot pie
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken & dumplings
Chicken over a salad
Chicken vegetable soup
Chicken & potato chowder
Chicken fried rice

Yup! I also love chicken! Best protein.

AquaBaby

Yup! I also love chicken! Best protein.

Oooo I though of something fun, everyone list their top 3 favorite proteins
For me, it goes like:
  1. Chicken
  2. Beef
  3. Bacon

I love it... all chicken. all beef. Only this one very specific single kind of pork!!!

Hmmm. For me, no particular order:
• chicken (that includes eggs, right?! I mean eggs do come from chickens...)
• beef (and that includes milk/dairy?)
• beans/legumes.

I like pork, nuts, cereals/grains, and fish/shellfish, and quite a few others - but if I had to remove one of the first 3 to replace with any of those, I wouldn't. I like cheese but not huge on it. Don't really care for soy.

Prest12

Chicken pot pie
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken & dumplings
Chicken over a salad
Chicken vegetable soup
Chicken & potato chowder
Chicken fried rice

These all sound amazing. Chicken and dumplings as actually where the leftover chicken came from.

Prest12

Bread. You happy?

33F77A3A-242F-4172-A35F-F7A791F5C2E3.jpeg
This is my first time making a yeast bread in the oven, so don’t expect it to look perfect.

And chili.

94D857E7-C918-41A9-BB0B-AF54E6570FED.jpeg

V1K

Might sound like a weird question, but it's unusual around these parts - why do you shred chicken? What's the function of shredded chicken? We either eat it in large chunks, or, if we want to add it to things like spagetti etc., we cut it in small pieces.

Prest12

Might sound like a weird question, but it's unusual around these parts - why do you shred chicken? What's the function of shredded chicken? We either eat it in large chunks, or, if we want to add it to things like spagetti etc., we cut it in small pieces.
I’m not the person to be answering this question. The best thing I can think of is that is provides a different texture.

Lorli

I only shred it for the dogs!

Coradee

Please let’s not sidetrack this thread with a lot of chit chat it’s for sharing recipes & tips, we don’t want to have to scroll though dozens of chat posts to find them, thanks.

AggressiveAquatics

Bread. You happy?

33F77A3A-242F-4172-A35F-F7A791F5C2E3.jpeg
This is my first time making a yeast bread in the oven, so don’t expect it to look perfect.

And chili.

94D857E7-C918-41A9-BB0B-AF54E6570FED.jpeg
Do you have a recipe for that? It looks really good, my favorite type of bread is the type with the crunchy outside which this looks like it has

Prest12

Do you have a recipe for that? It looks really good, my favorite type of bread is the type with the crunchy outside which this looks like it has
The recipe is here: EASY HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPE
The top isn’t really crunchy, but it’s still very good. It’s also super fast to make.

V1K

The recipe is here: EASY HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPE
The top isn’t really crunchy, but it’s still very good. It’s also super fast to make.
I put your recipe to use yesterday. I added an egg to it because I think it makes things less crumbly. I also added sunflower seeds, oats and some herbs for more taste and texture. Good stuff!

Attachments

• DSC_1354.JPG
    DSC_1354.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 15

Fishnpups

Yall are making me hungry and i feel my cooking is no longer superior

V1K

Yall are making me hungry and i feel my cooking is no longer superior
Well if you were looking at the posts like "lol noobs", there would be nothing for you to learn here. Now you can get some new ideas, which I believe is the main point of this thread .

Fishnpups

Well if you were looking at the posts like "lol noobs", there would be nothing for you to learn here. Now you can get some new ideas, which I believe is the main point of this thread .
Oh for sure definitely agree with that. But these all look so good.

Im also having to relearn how to cook all the things because a recent allergy test revealed I'm allergic to everything from garlic to mustard to mayonaise to broccoli to sauces, etc. so ill just sit here and appreciate the aesthetics and yalls brilliance

But i will add: anyone that makes spaghetti squash, cut it into circles instead of half way and youll get more evenly/faster cooked "noodles"

V1K

Oh for sure definitely agree with that. But these all look so good.

Im also having to relearn how to cook all the things because a recent allergy test revealed I'm allergic to everything from garlic to mustard to mayonaise to broccoli to sauces, etc. so ill just sit here and appreciate the aesthetics and yalls brilliance

But i will add: anyone that makes spaghetti squash, cut it into circles instead of half way and youll get more evenly/faster cooked "noodles"
Aw, to work around so many allergies must be a real nuisance...

Fishnpups

Aw, to work around so many allergies must be a real nuisance...
Yes girl, yes. But all yalls food looks so yummy! Ill taste through the screen and appreciate it. They all look great

Prest12

I put your recipe to use yesterday. I added an egg to it because I think it makes things less crumbly. I also added sunflower seeds, oats and some herbs for more taste and texture. Good stuff!
It’s nice hearing from people who actually know what they’re doing. I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Mike

Latest Aquarium Threads