Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 45

AquaticQueen

I bake, but more simple things. Here's one of the more impressive cakes my sister has baked in the past few months (at least it wowed me)

20200724_132231.jpg
20200724_132235.jpg20200724_132224.jpg

Betta'sAnonymous

Filet mignon, anyone?

Attachments

Cold&warm

Nickguy5467 said:
i like to eat things people cook or bake. does that count?
I came down from the same type of tree as you did ... ;):(:happy: .

Cold&warm

AquaticQueen said:
I bake, but more simple things. Here's one of the more impressive cakes my sister has baked in the past few months (at least it wowed me)

20200724_132231.jpg
20200724_132235.jpg20200724_132224.jpg
It wows me too.
BTW an oven called frigidaire is another wow-wow-wow... :eek: .

StarGirl

Cold&warm said:
It wows me too.
BTW an oven called frigidaire is another wow-wow-wow... :eek: .
My stove is Frigidare too :p It matches my Fridge.

Cold&warm

StarGirl said:
My stove is Frigidare too :p It matches my Fridge.
How is it possible ... Wow, wow, wow and once more wow ... !!
I feel so delightfully backward, as if I am still living in a cave. I surmise part if my European ancestors actually did (those who were contemporaries to Neanderthal man), but that was a long time ago ...
Fishlore is somethimes such a humbling experience, wonderful....:):(:D:eek::oops::happy:!!
On the other hand, having no oven and not being able to get one is kind of a handicap.
Oven-cooked food is healthy and delicious ...

StarGirl

Cold&warm said:
How is it possible ... Wow, wow, wow and once more wow ... !!
I feel so delightfully backward, as if I am still living in a cave. I surmise part if my European ancestors actually did (those who were contemporaries to Neanderthal man), but that was a long time ago ...
Fishlore is somethimes such a humbling experience, wonderful....:):(:D:eek::oops::happy:!!
On the other hand, having no oven and not being able to get one is kind of a handicap.
Oven-cooked food is healthy and delicious ...
I guess Im wowed too by you not being able to get a oven! Wow. Why?

Cold&warm

StarGirl said:
I guess Im wowed too by you not being able to get a oven! Wow. Why?
Why?
For the most boring, elementary, and (possibly) embarrassing of reasons - although I think it is nothing to be ashamed of: lack of funds.
BTW, although I continue to be in awe for the advanced country you live in, I may have seen things larger than they really are. Frigidaire is the French word for refrigerator/fridge. My late (and educated/cultured) mum used it interchangeably with "koelkast" (which was inspired by our German neighbors ("Kuehlschrank"). I had understood your stove was also a fridge. Now it dawns upon me that Frigidaire is probably simply a brand name (for electrical equipment).

StarGirl

Yes its a brand name.

Turtle1

KinsKicks said:
OMG I love this idea! Ok at cooking. Baking is much more fun! This was a birthday cake (and that chicken looks super good!)
Very nice

Turtle1

Cold&warm said:
Why?
For the most boring, elementary, and (possibly) embarrassing of reasons - although I think it is nothing to be ashamed of: lack of funds.
BTW, although I continue to be in awe for the advanced country you live in, I may have seen things larger than they really are. Frigidaire is the French word for refrigerator/fridge. My late (and educated/cultured) mum used it interchangeably with "koelkast" (which was inspired by our German neighbors ("Kuehlschrank"). I had understood your stove was also a fridge. Now it dawns upon me that Frigidaire is probably simply a brand name (for electrical equipment).
Yes American brand name by Electrolux, only because I Was repairing my oven this morning.

Cold&warm

Turtle1 said:
Yes American brand name by Electrolux, only because I Was repairing my oven this morning.
Electrolux sells (still?) a lot in North West Europe. I remember it is pricy and good, like Whirlpool. Here a lot of Japanese/Chinese stuff in the supermarkets...
Pity I lack your skill: I hardly ever used my oven. It was the last thing me mum bought (together with the fridge/"frigidaire"/koelkast/Kuehlschrank). It must be eay to fix for anyone who has any technical preparation... The oven was the last piece nationwide of thi model made by a well-known brand so my mum got a discount plus another one. It came in the end a little more than 50% of the price. And it is 100% stainless steel. Pretty rare and normally out of reach for her/our budget.

Betta'sAnonymous

Cold&warm said:
Electrolux sells (still?) a lot in North West Europe. I remember it is pricy and good, like Whirlpool. Here a lot of Japanese/Chinese stuff in the supermarkets...
Pity I lack your skill: I hardly ever used my oven. It was the last thing me mum bought (together with the fridge/"frigidaire"/koelkast/Kuehlschrank). It must be eay to fix for anyone who has any technical preparation... The oven was the last piece nationwide of thi model made by a well-known brand so my mum got a discount plus another one. It came in the end a little more than 50% of the price. And it is 100% stainless steel. Pretty rare and normally out of reach for her/our budget.
I spent awhile as an appliance salesman...i couldn't BELIEVE the prices on especially the higher end stuff

Cold&warm

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I spent awhile as an appliance salesman...i couldn't BELIEVE the prices on especially the higher end stuff
When you were visiting in Europe, I presume?
My visiting the USA made it clear to me that in a richer country things are cheap ...

Betta'sAnonymous

Cold&warm said:
When you were visiting in Europe, I presume?
My visiting the USA made it clear to me that in a richer country things are cheap ...
I never looked at stuff like that in the EU. I was more interedted in women, historical sites and booze

ElysiumPlants

Just going to put this out there. Worked most of my life in food service (line cook, personal chef, private chef). There are things like keeping fish that I know a little bit about. When it comes to food, I don’t know everything, but I’ll admit that I know a lot.

I’ve eaten my way through some of the supposed culinary epicenters of the country (NY and CA come to mind first) and have generally been underwhelmed.

I’m going to let you guys in on my dirty little secret: once a year, the wife and I entrust our plants and animals to friends, rent a car and a hotel room, and drive four hours, and four hours back the next morning, just to go to dinner.

Did I mention we’re serious about food?

This place boasts the most creative, nuanced, perfectly-executed, jaw-droppingly perfect food I’ve ever experienced. Everything about this place is an experience. You’ll find exotic animal proteins, unusual heirloom vegetables, innovative preparations, an absolutely brilliant juxtaposition of different flavors and textures. The menu changes frequently, and is dictated by the ingredients. Fresh and seasonal are the rules here. Service is beyond amazing. Cocktails are amazing. Epic beer and wine as well. We’re not talking Bud Light here. If you’re after a good, earthy, crisp schwarzbier, a bright, energetic Barbera, or an ice-cold, tart vinho verde, this is the place to go. Their offerings change often, but that’s the best thing about this place: whatever is really amazing, right now, that’s what’s on the menu.

This is the place that good cooks go when they die.

Best part: Chef-Proprietor Marty Blitz is one of the most kind, humble, affable people I’ve ever met. Guy’s in it to nourish peoples’ souls as well as their bodies. He completely defies the (sadly, often all too true) stereotypes of professional chefs as shallow, temperamental, abusive, egotistical, effete, know-it-all types who haven’t worked the stations in their own house in years because they don’t have to.

The guy just loves food, loves what amazing food does to people. I think that, ultimately, it’s the secret to his genius. He doesn’t seem to realize he’s a genius, he just loves making beautiful things that bring people joy.

The restaurant is Mise en Place, in Tampa, Florida. I have no real reason to go to Tampa, aside from this, but it’s good enough to be worth checking the price of plane tickets if we lived too far away to make the drive.

Yes, it’s THAT good. If you’re lucky enough to live closer than we do, you need to try this place out. Haven’t looked or asked, but Marty’s smart as $h1+. I have no doubt they’ve got the proper protocols in place and are somehow slinging amazing food as takeout. Prices are beyond reasonable, given the experience.

fishyfriends876

Mmmm that chicken looks delicious!

NBettas83

StarGirl said:
It rained all day here too. Gloomy doomy day.
Guess what? Here, it's snowing lol. In September.

AND NOW I CAN COOK PIZZA FROM SCRATCH WOOHOO (I've also made a lot of bread and some pasta.

AquaticQueen

My sister's geode cake.
IMG_20200909_194354.jpg

DoubleDutch

AquaticQueen said:
My sister's geode cake.
IMG_20200909_194354.jpg
My first thought : wrong forum for a geode hahaha

Betta'sAnonymous

AquaticQueen said:
My sister's geode cake.
IMG_20200909_194354.jpg
This really looks awesome! Make sure to tell yiur sister. Guessing it tastes pretty good, too!

Betta'sAnonymous

Saturday night, pork sirloin chops with a rib rub and some hot dogs for one of the kids:

Last night, NY strips, cheesy garlic bread and hot dogs:

Attachments

SanDiegoRedneck

Betta'sAnonymous said:
This really looks awesome! Make sure to tell yiur sister. Guessing it tastes pretty good, too!
Those cakes are pretty cool. I see alot of cakes in my industry. And I get bored. But the goe cakes I love

Betta'sAnonymous

Burgers tonight seasoned with a steak rub.

Attachments

StarGirl

Making my first batch of Broccoli Cheese Soup for the fall. I have been dickering with this recipe for a long time and this is my best concoction.

4 C. chicken broth
1 Med. chopped Onion
Chopped carrots. I use baby carrots use desired amount
Boil until onion and carrots are tender.

I only use frozen broccoli flourettes and cook them in the microwave first. That way it doesn't disintegrate and add more water. I use 2 small bags or by desired amount in a big bag. Drain well.

When onion and carrots are done add 2 c. water and bring back to boil. Reduce heat to low and add:

1 16 oz box of Velveeta cheese. The small one.
1 stick of butter
1 tsp. Minced Garlic (or more)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp. Accent. Skip if you choose.

When cheese is melted I add:

1 c. 1/2 and 1/2 mixed well with 2 Tbls. Cornstarch. When cooked If it is too thick add some milk to thin it down and if too thin add some more cornstarch mixed with a small amount of milk. Make sure to mix well or it will clump.
EDIT: I used 6 Tbls cornstarch.......We like it thicker... ;)

Last I add my broccoli and make sure its heated good. We like chunky Broccoli.

This is NOT a low calorie soup for sure but it is so good! :D Happy Fall Ya'll ;)20200919_192603.jpg

julifhy

I made creamy scrambled eggs for breakfast today :)
4AE0DC55-944E-4EB9-830D-695D733DB19F.jpeg
This made me realize I’ve been cooking my eggs wrong for all these years lol. They tasted completely different! (I’m a very delicious way :p)

I also made mahi mahi with pineapple last month. It was sooo good :joyful:
357D78AF-0544-4A18-8F91-CBCC555E7225.jpeg

SanDiegoRedneck

julifhy said:
I made creamy scrambled eggs for breakfast today :)
4AE0DC55-944E-4EB9-830D-695D733DB19F.jpeg
This made me realize I’ve been cooking my eggs wrong for all these years lol. They tasted completely different! (I’m a very delicious way :p)

I also made mahi mahi with pineapple last month. It was sooo good :joyful:
357D78AF-0544-4A18-8F91-CBCC555E7225.jpeg
Beautiful presentation on first plate. Plus looks delicious.

Betta'sAnonymous

No pictures, but going back to basics tonight. Pigs in a blanket!

Top Bottom