Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 44

emeraldking

I can cook, I can bake.... but I love to eat... ;)

aoiumi

SanDiegoRedneck said:
I work in the industry and can kinda bake. They are two different beasts, bakers love to measure and like perfection because you HAVE to measure when baking.
People who cook in general are more off their rockers, dash of this pinch of that. Just enough to taste. Lol.
Even in the catering industry usually not always but normally a company does one or the other. Cook or bake
I am normally forced to cook because I can't eat everything I would bake, (the /carbs/,) but while I'm fairly good at both, they are very different beasts.

qldmick

Pistachio and parmesan crusted chicken breasts, just coat chicken in plain yogurt and finely process parmesan, pistachio and salt, then crumb. Oven bake.
P7220707.JPG

qldmick

Was very tasty.
P7220709.JPG

SanDiegoRedneck

Ok so I have cooked for a while. Ran catering companies and just found this out. If you put %100 honey in water and swirl the honey will go into a honey comb shape!!

Mind blown.
20200727_051924.jpg
20200727_051937.jpg
20200727_051959.jpg

Gh05t

I love to cook...baking to a lesser degree; however I still do bake. I have taken a more health conscious approach to life over the last 2 years and it is interesting making "normal" food into lower calorie healthier versions. Tonight's menu is crispy buffalo chicken tenders and garlic green beans with banana pudding :)

Gh05t

Double post.

Pariah

Gh05t said:
Double post.
I'm the master of double posting and I try to refrain myself, but it happens... often... I normally do pretty good.

Our daughter wanted to cook tonight. Collard greens is what's on the menu. I may be from the great white north, but my roots are as southern as can be. I did the knife work since she's only 6 and my knives are scary sharp. Ingredients... oops, forgot the garlic.
20200727_174342.jpg
There it is. More than enough to ward off any vampires within a 60 mile radius.
20200727_182147.jpg
She wanted to try the apple cider vinegar... again... I tried to remind her of last time, but you can't reason with kids...
20200727_184105.jpg

Boiling away for a minute.
20200727_185814.jpg

Just mixed up some cornbread. I forgot chipotle peppers in adobo from Walmart, so we're having cornbread with just some sharp Troyer's Lightning Jack inside.

More pics as things progress...

Nothing fancy, but kind grinds.20200727_200747.jpg

Basil

Just joining this thread. Meant to a while ago. :) Love to cook and bake. And well, “summertime and the living is easy”.
Today is my day off so I’m running around doing stuff (tank water changes and meeting the equine vet/chiropractor for my horse) so I totally threw together this lunch: avocado, tomatoes from my garden, fresh mozzarella cheese, drizzled with some avocado oil (cause one can never get enough avocado!) and everything bagel seasoning. Turned out better than I thought it would!ADAB64C1-AE36-4C2C-ABFE-89D5A8C63381.jpeg

Pariah

Redneck chicken parmesan and sauteed zucchini.

Those cheap Walmart breaded chicken chicken patties covered in jarred pasta sauce and mozzarella.

Zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic, Italian seasoning mix, extra basil (I love basil!), salt and pepper and parmesan cheese.

Edit: I've created a monster. My son saw me putting extra basil on my food so he wanted to try some. Then wanted more. And more.

20200728_194712.jpg

Nickguy5467

i wonder if cooking fish is like taboo or something on this site?

Pariah

Nickguy5467 said:
i wonder if cooking fish is like taboo or something on this site?
Nope. Lots of us here eat fish and we also love going fishing.

Edit: The kids insisted on trying a prickly pear, which they surprisingly had at our Walmart. It was actually the sweetest one I've ever had, but neither of them liked it. I don't care for them, either.

Gh05t

Ribeye for humans...tilapia for the dogs.

Attachments

julifhy

Basil said:
Just joining this thread. Meant to a while ago. :) Love to cook and bake. And well, “summertime and the living is easy”.
Today is my day off so I’m running around doing stuff (tank water changes and meeting the equine vet/chiropractor for my horse) so I totally threw together this lunch: avocado, tomatoes from my garden, fresh mozzarella cheese, drizzled with some avocado oil (cause one can never get enough avocado!) and everything bagel seasoning. Turned out better than I thought it would!ADAB64C1-AE36-4C2C-ABFE-89D5A8C63381.jpeg
That looks so good! I would definitely eat that for lunch, but it’s 12 and I just had breakfast :oops:

julifhy

julifhy said:
I’m almost done with school, so that means I’ll have a lot of more time to so many other things (like cooking and baking :joyful:)

This is a Popeye’s Chicken Sandwhich Recipe (keep in mind this probably isn’t the exact same recipe and doesn’t taste exactly the same as the actual sandwich, but it is still really good :)):

Ingredients:
Chicken breast
Tabasco
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Eggs
Buttermilk
Flour
Paprika
Oil (I used olive oil)
Mayonnaise
Dill picked
Jalapeños (optional)
Any white bread will be fine

Chicken seasoning:
Tabasco
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Let marinate until you‘re ready to fry it

Crust:
Dip in:
1-2 eggs
Buttermilk (you can also you normal milk, but it tastes a lot better with buttermilk imo)

Next dip in:
1-2 cups flour
Cayenne
Paprika
Salt
Pepper

Put oil in pan and fry (I used medium heat and fried until it was a golden color)

Mayo spread:
Mayonnaise
Paprika
Cayenne
Tabasco

Finish with:
Dill pickles
Jalapeños (the sandwich itself is spicy, but if you like your food extra spicy, then you can add the jalapeños)

I do not have the exact measurements, but in this recipe it doesn’t really matter because you decide how much of the ingredients you want to add anyways :)

Here’s how mine turned out:
D1C9C1BC-A76C-4198-BB3D-58DE6F5E7D8E.jpeg
Unfortunately, I suck at taking food pictures lol. I was also really hungry, so I just snapped a quick picture and ate it hilarious
If I get a better picture, I’ll make sure to update.
Anddddd here’s the better picture :p:
8FFB33CD-3262-4B57-B577-1ECDCF43F602.jpeg

StarGirl

Pariah said:
Redneck chicken parmesan and sauteed zucchini.

Those cheap Walmart breaded chicken chicken patties covered in jarred pasta sauce and mozzarella.

Zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic, Italian seasoning mix, extra basil (I love basil!), salt and pepper and parmesan cheese.

Edit: I've created a monster. My son saw me putting extra basil on my food so he wanted to try some. Then wanted more. And more.

20200728_194712.jpg
I love basil too. Ever try the tube of basil in the produce section? So good. I just had a burger earlier this week with melted motz and just tube basil and it was amazing.

Pariah

StarGirl said:
I love basil too. Ever try the tube of basil in the produce section? So good. I just had a burger earlier this week with melted motz and just tube basil and it was amazing.
I have not, honestly. Always dried or plucked right off the plant. But a basil burger sounds amazing. In the near future...

StarGirl

I use this whenever I use basil. So much flavor instantly. Lol
20200730_191453.jpg

Betta'sAnonymous

What's on your plate?

Attachments

alx

All these tomatoes were grown this summer. Its like no tomatoes for months then BOOM, tomatoes everywhere.

Paired with some penne. A very nice veggie dinner.

Attachments

alx

StarGirl said:
I use this whenever I use basil. So much flavor instantly. Lol
20200730_191453.jpg
I love the italian herbs and chunky garlic ones of this brand. Haven't tried basil. They pack a big punch and were both used in my tomato sauce up there ^^. Super easy way to add great flavor.

Betta'sAnonymous

Food coma incoming

Attachments

SanDiegoRedneck

Since catering in shut down due to covid, helping open a new garden restuarant in la Jolla ca. Fri, sat, Sunday 14 tables.

Just finishing working on menu I will chef.

Ps. Only deserts made by someone else. A local master baker

blennylover2323

this is so cool!!
I personally don't bake but my friend does, she makes cakes and slices in a bakery. this is her Carmel slice and cupcakes. I am her personal taster!!IMG_0656.JPGIMG_0654.jpgIMG_0602.jpg

Betta'sAnonymous

blennylover2323 said:
this is so cool!!
I personally don't bake but my friend does, she makes cakes and slices in a bakery. this is her Carmel slice and cupcakes. I am her personal taster!!IMG_0656.JPGIMG_0654.jpgIMG_0602.jpg
I would be even fatter than i already am!! Lol

NBettas83

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Food coma incoming
Is... Is tha... Is that GARLIC BREAD?

Tell me where you live I'm coming.

Betta'sAnonymous

NBettas83 said:
Is... Is tha... Is that GARLIC BREAD?

Tell me where you live I'm coming.
Yes it was. Usually i do cheesy garlic bread, switched up for this one

Betta'sAnonymous

Last night's fare. Who's hungry?

Attachments

Cold&warm

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Kinda cruel, huh? Looks delicious!!! On the other hand, also due to the fact that I am a terribly poor cook, I managed to lose over 20 kg (>44 lbs) since New Year :joyful::joyful::happy::happy:...
(BTW I get real hungry watching your culinary art...)

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Pork steaks? I love them but never grilled em :confused: Those look so good! We're having Ribeye's tonight drool.....lol I love me some steak!

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
Pork steaks? I love them but never grilled em :confused: Those look so good! We're having Ribeye's tonight drool.....lol I love me some steak!
Do love my ribeyes, too!! Yeah, i always put a rub on my pork steaks, usually famous daves rib rub

Betta'sAnonymous

Cold&warm said:
Kinda cruel, huh? Looks delicious!!! On the other hand, also due to the fact that I am a terribly poor cook, I managed to lose over 20 kg (>44 lbs) since New Year :joyful::joyful::happy::happy:...
(BTW I get real hungry watching your culinary art...)
I just call it an excuse to play with fire, not art!

Cold&warm

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I just call it an excuse to play with fire, not art!
Hahaha, call it the way you prefer. For sure I would in no time regain the weight I lost if I had access to such delicious food...

Betta'sAnonymous

Cold&warm said:
Hahaha, call it the way you prefer. For sure I would in no time regain the weight I lost if I had access to such delicious food...
At work, people ask me all the time of i want some food when they come through my gate. My usual reply is "well, i didn't get fat because i turn down yummy food!" It is definitely a weakness.

Splunji

Lchi87 said:
I can't be the only one! Thought it might be fun to start this thread; I'd love to swap recipes or have others share tips and tricks.

Made some really great roast chicken awhile back!
2a28d71d54eaf3b4eb1b790b86b0ce2d.jpg

EDIT:
Here's the recipe!

Preheat oven to 375

Halve some heads of garlic
Slice potatoes, onions, carrots, celery (turnips work well here too)
Coat the bottom of your roasting pan in olive oil. Line it with your sliced potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic heads. Make a bed of rosemary and thyme.

Chicken:
Dry your thighs THOROUGHLY. In a small bowl, mix a package of italian seasoning, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp baking powder ( secret to crispy skin!). Combine well. Season chicken with mixture.

Lay chicken on your bed of veggies and aromatics. Halve a lemon, squeeze over veggies and put the halves in the roasting pan with the veggies. Season the veggies with any leftover chicken seasoning.

Place in oven on middle rack and roast uncovered for about an hour, then raise temperature to 400 and bake for another 15 minutes to an internal temp of at least 165F.

If its lacking color, broil on high for a few minutes but watch it like a hawk!

Let rest 5-10 minutes and enjoy! The potatoes and veggies will absorb any chicken fatty goodness and the garlic heads should be roasted enough to squeeze out and spread on some bread. Yum....
I know a little hibachi. I also know how to spin the spatula and do tricks, like the guy at the hibachi restaurants lol.

ElysiumPlants

I’m a former line cook/personal chef/private chef. Just want to say based on the pictures posted that you guys can cook for me ANY day.

For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of working with an immersion circulator, I very highly recommend the Anova Precision Cooker. Best $150 you’ll ever spend, especially if (like me) you’re picky about the doneness of something like a nice, thick ribeye. I’m a medium-rare - not rare, not medium, and if it’s medium-well, it’s going in the trash. The immersion circulator nails it every time because it’s literally impossible to overcook anything because you’re programming it for the target internal temperature. The food can’t overcook because it never goes past that temp, so you can literally leave that steak in overnight and still have medium-rare ribeye for steak and eggs the next morning. Very cool piece of technology.

Betta'sAnonymous

ElysiumPlants said:
I’m a former line cook/personal chef/private chef. Just want to say based on the pictures posted that you guys can cook for me ANY day.

For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of working with an immersion circulator, I very highly recommend the Anova Precision Cooker. Best $150 you’ll ever spend, especially if (like me) you’re picky about the doneness of something like a nice, thick ribeye. I’m a medium-rare - not rare, not medium, and if it’s medium-well, it’s going in the trash. The immersion circulator nails it every time because it’s literally impossible to overcook anything because you’re programming it for the target internal temperature. The food can’t overcook because it never goes past that temp, so you can literally leave that steak in overnight and still have medium-rare ribeye for steak and eggs the next morning. Very cool piece of technology.
Nice! I usually have a pretty good eye for the putside of beef steak(all bets are off on pork,chicken).

Elysium almost sounds like a reference to a game i play...

Nickguy5467

i like to eat things people cook or bake. does that count?

StarGirl

ElysiumPlants said:
you can literally leave that steak in overnight and still have medium-rare ribeye for steak and eggs the next morning.
How is this even possible? Sorry Im a skeptic. :p Just curious. ;)

Top Bottom