Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 40

ryanr

Chilli chicken with ginger and coriander

V1K

I made doughnuts, but I didn't do good enough job of making them the same shape and size and they look like baked potatoes . Delicious nonetheless.

ryanr

V1K said:
I made doughnuts, but I didn't do good enough job of making them the same shape and size and they look like baked potatoes . Delicious nonetheless.
They look like they need a good coating of cinnamon sugar

V1K

ryanr said:
They look like they need a good coating of cinnamon sugar
Yeah, normally people cover them in sugar powder, but I'm not a fan of big amounts of sugar, and the amount they have in the dough is enough for me. If I were making them for guests I'd do it so that they're prettier, but now that they're all for me, why bother . Also makes them less messy to eat. BTW these are cottage cheese doughnuts, which apparently is European-Slavic thing, so you probably never tried them . IMO better than American style doughnuts .

Coradee

ryanr said:
That looks delicious, can I come to yours for dinner?

Prest12

V1K said:
BTW these are cottage cheese doughnuts
Now why would you ruin a perfectly good doughnut with cottage cheese?

V1K

Prest12 said:
Now why would you ruin a perfect good doughnut with cottage cheese?
Everything is better with cottage cheese. Also it's not precisely cottage cheese, Americans don't even have that exact type of cheese, it's more like curd/quark/pot cheese. It's complicated.

ryanr

V1K said:
BTW these are cottage cheese doughnuts, which apparently is European-Slavic thing, so you probably never tried them .
Actually, I have tried them when I was in Europe
Quite delicious, the cheese makes them more savoury, which suits me.
Coradee said:
That looks delicious, can I come to yours for dinner?
For sure, I saved you some :cool:

Prest12

V1K said:
Everything is better with cottage cheese. Also it's not precisely cottage cheese, Americans don't even have that exact type of cheese, it's more like curd/quark/pot cheese. It's complicated.
I just looked it up, and it seems a lot better than cottage cheese. Makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking of stuffed in a doughnut. It’s still probably not something I would like much, but I’m just weird.

StarGirl

ryanr said:
As always I just like looking at your food!
V1K said:
Is it kind of like cream cheese?

ryanr

StarGirl said:
As always I just like looking at your food!
Here's another from a few nights ago, homemade lamb kebab with a homemade tangy sauce (so delicious, I was a little oink oink and ate it all)

[don't get me started on xmas dinner, that was a treat ]

V1K

StarGirl said:
Is it kind of like cream cheese?
No, it's not creamy, it's crumbly and more dry than cottage cheese.

StarGirl

ryanr said:
Here's another from a few nights ago, homemade lamb kebab with a homemade tangy sauce (so delicious, I was a little oink oink and ate it all)

[don't get me started on xmas dinner, that was a treat ]
It depends on what size shell that is
I bet your spread was as good as last year....lol You sure eat in style!

ryanr

StarGirl said:
It depends on what size shell that is
I bet your spread was as good as last year....lol You sure eat in style!
Haha, it was normal size, but there was enough to make 3, and I ate all 3 hahaha.

And thanks, I spend way too much time watching cooking shows, particularly Gordon and Gino

Here's Christmas dinner:

Appetizer: prawn and avocado aioli bruschetta
Entree: pan-seared scallops with apple salad
Main: slow roasted pork belly with fennel, dauphonoise potatoes and veg
Desert was a tiramisu, but it didn't look pretty enough to photograph LOL

StarGirl

ryanr said:
Haha, it was normal size, but there was enough to make 3, and I ate all 3 hahaha.

And thanks, I spend way too much time watching cooking shows, particularly Gordon and Gino

Here's Christmas dinner:

Love the sea shell plates!

ryanr

StarGirl said:
Love the sea shell plates!
Thanks, they're the scallop shells

CHJ

I'm considering making kiwi brittle. Not sure if that will work.

EllsAquarium

ryanr said:

Here's Christmas dinner:

Why am I suddenly starving?? :eek:

Frisbee

My first pizza was such a success that I’m making another one. I altered it a little so this time it will have a fluffier and butterier crust.

Again, I forgot to take a picture before me and the family ate half of it...

Mhamilton0911

I tried a copycat Panda Express Orange Chicken recipe, SO GOOD.
I can link to it if anyone's interested. I changed mine to gluten free

Frisbee

Mhamilton0911 said:
I tried a copycat Panda Express Orange Chicken recipe, SO GOOD.
I can link to it if anyone's interested. I changed mine to gluten free
I’m interested!

EllsAquarium

Just me over here with more cake things...

AcornTheBetta

EllsAquarium said:
Just me over here with more cake things...
WOW! That cake is amazing!

smee82

My daughter always asks if we can buy lobster when she sees them and yesterday she finally got lucky as they were on sale so we got her one.

Her little brother made sure she shared with him, he couldn't get enough of it.

Mhamilton0911

Technically a recipie...

Home made 3 ingredient Dog Treats
1 1/2 cups quick oats, blended into rough flour
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup peanut butter
-preheat oven to 325f.
-Using a blender or food processor, add oats and blend/chop until a flour like result.
- mash banana with a fork in medium bowl. Add peanut butter, mix well. Add oat flour. Mix well until thick dough forms.
- line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and use a teaspoon to form little marble sized balls onto sheet, using wet fingers, gently press flat until less than 1/2".
- bake for 10-12 minutes or just barely brown on the edges.

My father in law's little old doggo had a recent emergency, and I worked out a few recipes for the pooch with his vet. I now make all his food and treats Good thing he's small and easy to cook for!

Oh, and the container was half the fun, lol.

------‐-------‐-----------------------

Frisbee said:
I’m interested!

I used less chicken than the recipe called for, and about 1/3 of the batter recipe (plus substituted gluten free flour), but used the full sauce like the reviews say, and loved it.

Frisbee

Mhamilton0911 said:
Technically a recipie...

Home made 3 ingredient Dog Treats
1 1/2 cups quick oats, blended into rough flour
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup peanut butter
-preheat oven to 325f.
-Using a blender or food processor, add oats and blend/chop until a flour like result.
- mash banana with a fork in medium bowl. Add peanut butter, mix well. Add oat flour. Mix well until thick dough forms.
- line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and use a teaspoon to form little marble sized balls onto sheet, using wet fingers, gently press flat until less than 1/2".
- bake for 10-12 minutes or just barely brown on the edges.

My father in law's little old doggo had a recent emergency, and I worked out a few recipes for the pooch with his vet. I now make all his food and treats Good thing he's small and easy to cook for!

Oh, and the container was half the fun, lol.

------‐-------‐-----------------------

I used less chicken than the recipe called for, and about 1/3 of the batter recipe (plus substituted gluten free flour), but used the full sauce like the reviews say, and loved it.
I am definitely going to try that chicken recipe. I’m gluten free as well, so I’ll probably mess around with the flours and corn starch a bit.

sav023

I do! My favorite thing to make is any type of chicken or pasta dish. Making bread is always fun too but hard to get right hahaa.

Prest12

sav023 said:
I do! My favorite thing to make is any type of chicken or pasta dish. Making bread is always fun too but hard to get right hahaa.
Do you have any favorite pasta recipes? I’m kind of obsessed with the stuff.

ryanr

Prest12 said:
Do you have any favorite pasta recipes? I’m kind of obsessed with the stuff.
Oh, so many great pasta recipes.

My all time fav is a family secret bolognese, so can't share that one

Gordon Ramsay's Linguine is awesome.

Gino D'Acampo's Crab & Prosecco linguine:

A proper Carbonara (no milk, just egg)

In fact, most of Gino's pasta recipes are great, his bolognese is pretty good too (yes, you need to add the milk )

Prest12

Apparently that video isn’t available in my country, but the other two recipes look amazing. I’ll look up some more of those recipes sometime in the future when I’m not being lazy.

ryanr

Prest12 said:
Apparently that video isn’t available in my country, but the other two recipes look amazing. I’ll look up some more of those recipes sometime in the future when I’m not being lazy.
The Gordon recipe is called Bloody Mary Linguine, with grilled lobster. I've done it with lobster, and have also substituted for prawns/shrimp, langoustine would also work. Or just leave the seafood out. Lobster is too expensive here in Aus to use all the time

Prest12

ryanr said:
The Gordon recipe is called Bloody Mary Linguine, with grilled lobster. I've done it with lobster, and have also substituted for prawns/shrimp, langoustine would also work. Or just leave the seafood out. Lobster is too expensive here in Aus to use all the time
Yea I’d probably have to leave seafood out of these. I don’t think it would be easy to find around here, especially at a decent price.

qldmick

Some home made kebabs and homemade rice.

V1K

I made kibinai - traditional pastries filled with mutton and onion, originating from ethnic minority in , but now popular all over the country. Eaten with broth and pickled cucumbers. Ate 4, very delicious.

Frisbee

I did end up trying that orange chicken recipe. Mmmm. I breaded it with pure cornstarch (not the batter recipe). Cornstarch makes really good chicken breading.

kanzekatores

Strawberry Sufganiyot

shrimpyay

kanzekatores, those look amazing. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Also: Does anyone have a good tutorial on kneading bread dough they'd share? I've been baking bread (sourdough and regular) for about 2 years now and have never really felt confident in my kneading technique. I feel like I never really get a smooth soft dough, it's always a little rough and sticky no matter what. I'm worried that I'm over-kneading, but can't tell for sure. The bread always tastes good, but spreads out and doesn't rise a whole lot. Not too dense, and the crumb definitely does have holes (mostly uniform, small holes, but occasionally bigger irregular ones, mostly at the top). This is consistent across recipes, so I'm sure it's me, not the recipes. I do tend to buy all-purpose rather than bread flour, which I know is a no-no, but often it's just what I have available...protein content for my brand is 11.7%, and I often mix in some whole wheat that's around 13% to try and improve the protein content. Any help would be appreciated!!

CHJ

I just got a Nemco waffle cone maker.
took several days to clean it with a power drill (I should have just pulled the plates and run them through an oven clean cycle). All I need now is some no stick spray to season it with.
Once that is done I can make more freak food... Like a Kit Kat cake.

kanzekatores

shrimpyay said:
kanzekatores, those look amazing. Would you be willing to share the recipe?
Ingredients
MAKES ABOUT 16 SERVINGS
DOUGH
1 1/4-oz. envelope active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp.)
3-4 cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for surface
1 tablespoon plus ¼ cup sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1/2 cup warm whole milk
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces, plus more
Vegetable oil (for frying; about 8 cups)
1/2 cups strawberry jam
Powdered sugar (for dusting)

Preparation
Step 1

Combine yeast, 1 Tbsp. flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar, and 2 Tbsp. warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer*; let stand until yeast starts to foam, about 5 minutes.
Step 2
Whisk in egg yolks, whole egg, milk, orange zest, orange juice, brandy, if using, salt, vanilla, 2 cups flour, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Mix on low speed with dough hook until combined, about 2 minutes.
Step 3
Add 6 Tbsp. butter 1 piece at a time, mixing well between additions. (Any small lumps of butter will get worked into dough when more flour is added.) Gradually add remaining 2 cups flour (you may not need all of it), mixing until mostly combined between additions, until dough is soft, smooth, and shiny—the dough will begin to pull away from the sides of bowl and climb up dough hook.
Step 4
*Don’t have a stand mixer? You can get the same results by mixing the dough with a sturdy wooden spoon and kneading on a lightly floured surface.
Step 5
Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead, adding more flour as needed, until no longer sticky, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a buttered bowl, turn to coat, and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Step 6
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 3/4" thick. Using a floured cutter, cut out rounds of dough, twisting cutter to release the dough (this strengthens the edges so the dough puffs when frying). Reroll scraps once.
Step 7
Transfer rounds of dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover loosely with another kitchen towel. Let rise until not quite doubled in size, 40–50 minutes.
Step 8
If you are not ready to fry dough, refrigerate rounds up to 3 hours.
Step 9
Fit a large heavy saucepan with thermometer; pour in vegetable oil to measure 4" and heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 350°. Working in batches, fry dough until golden, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined baking sheet and let cool slightly before filling.
Step 10
Pulse jam in a food processor until smooth (this will make it easier to pipe). Scrape jam into piping bag fitted with 1/4" tip. Insert tip into top of sufganiyot and gently fill until jam just pokes out of hole. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.

NeonUnicorn

I love to cook, but baking cakes is my favorite! So many fun combinations, flavors and decorations! The minion is from my sons 10th birthday and the floral tiered is from my little sister's 16th!

Betta'sAnonymous

NeonUnicorn said:
I love to cook, but baking cakes is my favorite! So many fun combinations, flavors and decorations! The minion is from my sons 10th birthday and the floral tiered is from my little sister's 16th!
Sure get fancier with the cakes than i do! I think i am too much of a "utilitarian eater"

qldmick

BBQ plum pork rashers, stuffed baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

StarGirl

qldmick said:
BBQ plum pork rashers, stuffed baked potatoes and corn on the cob.
Whats a rasher? Like a rib? Looks yummy!

Betta'sAnonymous

My lunch for tomorrow

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
Those look spicy.....you got ranch?
I did pick up ranch at the store. I prefer them as-is.

qldmick

StarGirl said:
Whats a rasher? Like a rib? Looks yummy!
Its pork belly slices.

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
Those look spicy.....you got ranch?
And yeah, they got some kick to them. Not insane, but enough to let you know it is buffalo sauce.

Frisbee

Gluten free white sauce pizza just came out of the oven. Yum

Frisbee

I think I cracked the code to the perfect dairy free caramel. The kind of caramel that is so stringy you could tie knots with it. It gets stuck in your teeth for hours, the kind of caramel oozing out of a Milky Way.

1/2 cup brown sugar (heaping or packed with a little extra on top)
About 2 tablespoons coconut oil or dairy free butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A dash of salt
1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cups (I estimated a little) silk vanilla flavor oat milk.

put everything except milk in sauce pan, heat on medium heat till sugar begins to melt and bubbles a lot
Very slowly add milk while sugar is cooking (very very slowly, otherwise caramel will get weird).

simmer till it reaches 250 or so. Take off heat and ta da, beautiful caramel.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom