Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 39

V1K

I haven't heard of beer bread or cracker pie before. Now that I googled it, the bread sounds as an easy recipe to try. The pie recipes seem to ask for egg whites without using the yolks and I always skip the recipes that only use part of the eggs, can't be bothered to think of ways to use the other part
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Fresh baked bread is ALWAYS a great thing! I am also a great fan of my mom's quick-breads, i.e. banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread, rhubarb bread, etc
Carrot and banana breads are my go-to breads, I love to add fruit or nuts to them, great stuff.

Another recipe I use really really often is cheesecake, I like that it's mostly protein and not that much carbs.

UmNick

DemonicZeroYT said:
Really your great grandma found that recipe, WOW. It’s awesome that after all this your still making it! Also I’m so sorry for your loss.
P.s I’m going find some recipes for that and make it.
Hey that's alright, I have an endless amount of GREAT memories with her! She passed away when I was around 10 years old and right up to the end she loved me very much! When you look for beer bread recipes use the one from food.com I have had the best results with that one. Also 12 ounces of beer for some reason isn't quite enough so I would recommend getting at least a 16 ounce can!
V1K said:
I haven't heard of beer bread or cracker pie before. Now that I googled it, the bread sounds as an easy recipe to try. The pie recipes seem to ask for egg whites without using the yolks and I always skip the recipes that only use part of the eggs, can't be bothered to think of ways to use the other part
After looking up "Cracker pie" it seems like Grandma's recipe is a little different! I use 2 cups, water, a cup of sugar, a "Spoonful" of cream of tartar (I use about a table spoon and a half), and a sleeve of ritz. No nuts, egg whites, or anything like that. You heat up the water, add the sugar and cream of tartar, and add the crackers just till they are soft. Then you pour all that into a pie crust, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and bake it till it sets up. I don't have the exact recipe that she wrote here at my place, but by now I just have it memorized.

Betta'sAnonymous

V1K said:

Carrot and banana breads are my go-to breads, I love to add fruit or nuts to them, great stuff.

Another recipe I use really really often is cheesecake, I like that it's mostly protein and not that much carbs.
CHEESECAKE!!!

FrogLegged

English muffin appetizers by my grandmother - known online as melted olive cheese appetizers or olive cheese melts. They are easy to make and always disappear *quick-like* during the holidays. And +1 to banana bread!

Fishlover001

Banana bread
Yum!

Coradee

Finally got round to doing the Cup ‘o tea cake, it smells like I remember I hope when it’s cooled it tastes like I remember too

Betta'sAnonymous

Coradee said:
Finally got round to doing the Cup ‘o tea cake, it smells like I remember I hope when it’s cooled it tastes like I remember too
That sounds interestingly delicious!!

P.S.- i have a casserole recipe to share when i am not at work. Somebody remind me after 2021 starts!

Coradee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
P.S.- i have a casserole recipe to share when i am not at work. Somebody remind me after 2021 starts!
I will, I love a good casserole

V1K

Fresh from the oven.

DemonicZeroYT

UmNick said:
Hey that's alright, I have an endless amount of GREAT memories with her! She passed away when I was around 10 years old and right up to the end she loved me very much! When you look for beer bread recipes use the one from food.com I have had the best results with that one. Also 12 ounces of beer for some reason isn't quite enough so I would recommend getting at least a 16 ounce can!

After looking up "Cracker pie" it seems like Grandma's recipe is a little different! I use 2 cups, water, a cup of sugar, a "Spoonful" of cream of tartar (I use about a table spoon and a half), and a sleeve of ritz. No nuts, egg whites, or anything like that. You heat up the water, add the sugar and cream of tartar, and add the crackers just till they are soft. Then you pour all that into a pie crust, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and bake it till it sets up. I don't have the exact recipe that she wrote here at my place, but by now I just have it memorized.
Okay thanks for the tips I’ll be getting the ingredients soon

UmNick

FrogLegged said:
English muffin appetizers by my grandmother - known online as melted olive cheese appetizers or olive cheese melts. They are easy to make and always disappear *quick-like* during the holidays. And +1 to banana bread!
If this is anything like the "English muffin pizzas" my momma makes I bet they are delicious!

DemonicZeroYT

UmNick said:
If this is anything like the "English muffin pizzas" my momma makes I bet they are delicious!
English muffin pizzas pure purfection!
The brownies I made this morning turned into this in an hour!

qldmick

We finally got some decent rain to put water back in the creeks.
Picked up this lot, they don't come to too much once their cooked and peeled, but made fore a couple of yummy sandwiches.

Betta'sAnonymous

Just put 4 dozen buffalo wings in the oven. Starting 2021 off in fine style!

CHJ

At new years I fed our 2 guests (covid and all) cranberoons. These are a food mutation of macaroons using dried cranberries instead of coconut. I did have to add some coconut to soak up the extra egg. Oh yeah the white spots are white chocolate chips.

Those guests are now cranberoon junkies.

Betta'sAnonymous

CHJ said:
At new years I fed our 2 guests (covid and all) cranberoons. These are a food mutation of macaroons using dried cranberries instead of coconut. I did have to add some coconut to soak up the extra egg. Oh yeah the white spots are white chocolate chips.
Those guests are now cranberoon junkies.
Yeah, cranberries can be absolutely AMAZING in things!

Nessaf

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Yeah, cranberries can be absolutely AMAZING in things!
Indeed! I add about a quarter cup of dried cranberries to my stuffing when I make it.

Frisbee

I would post a picture of my beautiful gluten free, dairy free cheescake... but I already ate it...

Betta'sAnonymous

Frisbee said:
I would post a picture of my beautiful gluten free, dairy free cheescake... but I already ate it...
That is the only proper way to treat cheesecake!

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Not sure about the gluten free dairy free.....but cheesecake sounds really good right now.

Mhamilton0911

Did you make it, or buy? If you made it, what did you use for a crust? I am gluten free too!

Frisbee

Mhamilton0911 said:
Did you make it, or buy? If you made it, what did you use for a crust? I am gluten free too!
I made it. I just made some gluten free cookies, then crumpled them up and added butter and packed it into the pie pan like a graham cracker crust.

CHJ

Betta'sAnonymous said:
My vacuum pump died so I can't make a proper "fire it through a brick wall" cheese cake any more.
In terms of "fluffy" cheese cake I did make my wife a 9" cake for her birthday. One layer of brownie in the spring form, one layer of chocolate cheese cake, one layer of fudge. Then chocolate coat the whole thing. All in all, it weighed ~10 Lbs.
You have to hate yourself to eat it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I hate me.
Frisbee said:
Citric acid and cashew milk?

Betta'sAnonymous

CHJ said:
My vacuum pump died so I can't make a proper "fire it through a brick wall" cheese cake any more.
In terms of "fluffy" cheese cake I did make my wife a 9" cake for her birthday. One layer of brownie in the spring form, one layer of chocolate cheese cake, one layer of fudge. Then chocolate coat the whole thing. All in all, it weighed ~10 Lbs.
You have to hate yourself to eat it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I hate me.

Citric acid and cashew milk?
I hate myself enough to eat that too!!!

StarGirl

Does anyone know how long the frozen cooked shrimp are good once you thaw them? I thawed them on New Years eve are they still good? I can't smell and hubs doesn't like them so he says they always stink. :cool:

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
Does anyone know how long the frozen cooked shrimp are good once you thaw them? I thawed them on New Years eve are they still good? I can't smell and hubs doesn't like them so he says they always stink. :cool:
Let him know he has my vote as well!

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Let him know he has my vote as well!
A lot of help you are......lol

Nessaf

StarGirl said:
If they were kept properly chilled I would say yes, but not much more.

StarGirl

Nessaf said:
If they were kept properly chilled I would say yes, but not much more.
They were put in the fridge once they were thawed. Been in there since. I really don't think I want food poisoning from bad seafood. :confused: I would have eaten them already but we were gone last night.

minervalong

Did this thread morph from the one about butter going bad? Anyway, I'll put this info here for those who might like it.

Sweese is a company that makes kitchenware. And they make a butter crock that will hold a whole pound. I got it when I was feeding hordes of people (aka The Girls' College Years) and it's a dandy.

minervalong

StarGirl said:
No birth....lol
Reminds me of a story from James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. There was a farting boxer and it was bad stinky. No one knew what to do with him, other than that, he was a perfect fellow. Well, the gardener who had charge of his playtime loved him. Everyone just thought the fella loved him despite his affliction. Turns out, the old gardener never could smell, though he had lovely flowers for the local show every year. Cedric the Farting Boxer lived a long and happy life with Con the gardener.

Betta'sAnonymous

Beef and Cabbage Casserole (aka Runza Casserole)

2 tubes crescent rolls
2 pounds ground beef
1 pound package shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
2 chopped onions
1 8 oz package shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef, onion and cabbage. Add soup and cheese. Spread 1 tube of crescent rolls in bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Spoon meat mixture on top of rolls. Spread other tube of rolls on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Jojo205

I love baking, mostly cake decorating, but i got too busy after I got a dog and mostly forgot about it lol. but way up high in a cabinet i have a ton of specialty cake decorating tools I never use tht i’ve been wanting to see if i remember anything (it’s only been a few years but i have a terrible memory). I took all 3 or 4 available wilton classes at my local michaels, as well as taking cookie decorating classes from my moms college friend. This is the most recent cake I made (Dec. 2019):

And my most recent cookie I decorated. Not my best work LOL(I think Jan 2020. Part of a family cookie decorating contest!)

Betta'sAnonymous

Jojo205 said:
I love baking, mostly cake decorating, but i got too busy after I got a dog and mostly forgot about it lol. but way up high in a cabinet i have a ton of specialty cake decorating tools I never use tht i’ve been wanting to see if i remember anything (it’s only been a few years but i have a terrible memory). I took all 3 or 4 available wilton classes at my local michaels, as well as taking cookie decorating classes from my moms college friend. This is the most recent cake I made (Dec. 2019):

And my most recent cookie I decorated. Not my best work LOL(I think Jan 2020. Part of a family cookie decorating contest!)
Don't keep cakes like that near me unless you want to see a magic act!

Jojo205

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Don't keep cakes like that near me unless you want to see a magic act!
LOL I never eat anything I bake. Not because it’s bad I just don’t like sweet stuff, and havent since i was like 10. Yet I’m the one in the family who likes to bake and decorate the most

AcornTheBetta

Yay I think we're having Popcorn Chicken tonight!

Betta'sAnonymous

Baked Eggs. This was something my grandma made a lot when my mom was a kid and when i was a kid as well.

Place 1 tbsp. of cream or half and half in bottom of each hole in muffin pan. Crack one egg into each hole. Sprinkle the tops with salt and pepper and crushed cornflakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Watch closely at 10 minute mark.

minervalong

Jojo205 said:

Nice work. My 2nd girl is a professional. Or she was lol. Said she got tired of it so went into logistics until she gets her Masters in Archaeology and can get a job there.

Betta'sAnonymous

Didn't feel like baking today, but i feel like eating baked goods. Got a pan of pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting at the grocery store...there are some things their bakery does really well at!

EllsAquarium

Hi!! I absolutely love to bake and decorate, I’m not extremely good but everything is most certainly made with love (and real butter, which are basically the same thing).
I also enjoy watching Sam the Cooking Guy on YouTube.
Most everything in my home is made from scratch, my daughter and I especially love any excuse to make yeast risen dough of any kind, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, breads etc.

Here are two cakes I’ve done this year.

StarGirl

EllsAquarium said:
Hi!! I absolutely love to bake and decorate, I’m not extremely good but everything is most certainly made with love (and real butter, which are basically the same thing).
I also enjoy watching Sam the Cooking Guy on YouTube.
Most everything in my home is made from scratch, my daughter and I especially love any excuse to make yeast risen dough of any kind, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, breads etc.

Here are two cakes I’ve done this year.
That spider cake is adorable!

EllsAquarium

Thanks StarGirl! My nephews birthday is on Halloween so naturally he got a ‘spooky’ cake.

Mike999

I've been dabbling with soups lately.

Made a really good Minestrone soup a month ago (letting the soup simmer with a real chunk of parmesan rind makes a difference). A recipe my sister gave me, **** thing is 3 pages long. Tasty with crusty buttered bread.

A few times last year I made some keto diet soup (could care less about the keto and diet part lol) - but the soup was delicious. Beef/cabbage/leek/celery/carrot/a few other things I don't recall. Super tasty.
But you know - if I eat it, you need to clear the room....

Soups are rather labor intensive, but considering the quantity you get of leftovers, well worth it
------------------
My mother made a turkey soup recently (boiled the xmas turkey carcass for the broth). That's something I could do, pretty easy ingredients (turkey/carrots/celery, sage/thyme I think). Rather tasty and makes me want to buy a turkey once in awhile just to make soup lol.

V1K

Mike999 said:
Soups are rather labor intensive, but considering the quantity you get of leftovers, well worth it
Well if you're making high-end soups with 3 page recipes, sure. But normal soups are really easy... Might take time if you're making the broth from scratch, but most of that time is spent chilling and waiting.

Frisbee

My homemade, gluten free, dairy free pizza just came out of the oven. Oh my goodness, that was sooooo goood. I already ate almost half a pizza as you can see.

StarGirl

OMG my favorite soup is from a brewery in Colorado. Seafood Chowder. I have the recipe but it is in restaurant portions....lol I make a mean Broccoli Cheese Soup.

EllsAquarium

I had a cauliflower crust pizza once at a work potluck and I was actually extremely surprised how good it was

Betta'sAnonymous

EllsAquarium said:
I had a cauliflower crust pizza once at a work potluck and I was actually extremely surprised how good it was
I still pass. Cauliflower makes me super gassy.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom