Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 38

ForceTen

StarGirl said:
Ohhhh I love Cuban pork......Theres a place in the Keys that has a fantastic Cuban Pulled Pork sandwich. Thats what I get there every time.
My grandparents lived in Key West. I lived in Miami for many years.
Yes, the Cuban pork roast is really good. I will make sure the skin gets good and crispy.
I am also making black beans and rice, plantains, tossed green lettuce salad and garlic bread.

aoiumi

V1K said:
Sounds delicious! But this reminds me - I don't get frying/sauteeing garlic. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but fried garlic smells bad, as soon as it makes contact with hot oil, it's ruined. Whenever a recipe says I should fry it until brown, I don't do that and just add crushed garlic near the end of cooking, along with herbs.
Some other people have said stuff about this too. I love garlic, and browning it, but the key is to not burn it. I know it sounds silly but, to misquote something I read, you have to be careful because browned garlic tastes very good, but burnt(or charred) garlic is very bitter.

When you do toss garlic in oil, it does smell odd - I find it smells almost fruity, or floral. Not garlicky and definitively not burnt. It still tastes super garlicky, but it smells, again, almost floral. It's a very distinct scent.

If the garlic does burn, then it will taste horrid. I think it's different sometimes with grilling meat and whatnot, but when it comes to putting just garlic in hot oil, you want to avoid burning at all costs.

Actually, do you think it's that floral scent you were thinking was bad? Or does it smell like something else entirely?

V1K

aoiumi said:
Some other people have said stuff about this too. I love garlic, and browning it, but the key is to not burn it. I know it sounds silly but, to misquote something I read, you have to be careful because browned garlic tastes very good, but burnt(or charred) garlic is very bitter.

When you do toss garlic in oil, it does smell odd - I find it smells almost fruity, or floral. Not garlicky and definitively not burnt. It still tastes super garlicky, but it smells, again, almost floral. It's a very distinct scent.

If the garlic does burn, then it will taste horrid. I think it's different sometimes with grilling meat and whatnot, but when it comes to putting just garlic in hot oil, you want to avoid burning at all costs.

Actually, do you think it's that floral scent you were thinking was bad? Or does it smell like something else entirely?
i couldn't remember the smell enough to tell if it's floral or not, so I decided to do an experiment and just fry a small piece of garlic in order to mindfully observe the change of its smell. I set the fire extra low in order to be able to follow the change better and... managed to fry it without it stinking up. Then for the second round I threw some into a fully heated pan, and yeah, instant change of smell to the worse. It sort of reminds me of a stove gas smell. I guess you just can't fry garlic on the same intensity you'd fry onion?

Prest12

So, even though every recipe says to cook the garlic over medium high heat, they really mean low heat? I should try that next time.

BettasAreSuperior

Also, has anyone made mango pie? I have never but I am apprehensive to try making it.

Betta'sAnonymous

Sweet potato pie is good, but buttermilk pie takes the cake!!

Prest12

I have some leftover shredded chicken from last nights dinner. Anybody have ideas on what I can do with it?

StarGirl

Prest12 said:
I have some leftover shredded chicken from last nights dinner. Anybody have ideas on what I can do with it?
How much? White chicken chili? BBQ pulled chicken sandwich?

Prest12

About 2 cups. Chili sounds good. Sandwich was my first thought, but I don’t have bread.

StarGirl

Prest12 said:
About 2 cups. Chili sounds good. Sandwich was my first thought, but I don’t have bread.
I guess it depends if you have White beans or not then?

Betta'sAnonymous

Prest12 said:
Bake some bread! Problem solved!

Prest12

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Bake some bread! Problem solved!
Well I was going to just make the soup, but now you’ve made me want bread with it. Guess it’s dinner at midnight today.

AquaBaby

Prest12 said:
Chicken pot pie
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken & dumplings
Chicken over a salad
Chicken vegetable soup
Chicken & potato chowder
Chicken salad on crackers
Chicken Alfredo with steamed veggies
Chicken fried rice

I love left over chicken. There's so much you can do with it!

AcornTheBetta

AquaBaby said:
Chicken pot pie
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken & dumplings
Chicken over a salad
Chicken vegetable soup
Chicken & potato chowder
Chicken fried rice

Yup! I also love chicken! Best protein.

AquaBaby

AcornTheBetta said:
Yup! I also love chicken! Best protein.

Oooo I though of something fun, everyone list their top 3 favorite proteins
For me, it goes like:
  1. Chicken
  2. Beef
  3. Bacon
I love it... all chicken. all beef. Only this one very specific single kind of pork!!!

Hmmm. For me, no particular order:
• chicken (that includes eggs, right?! I mean eggs do come from chickens...)
• beef (and that includes milk/dairy?)
• beans/legumes.

I like pork, nuts, cereals/grains, and fish/shellfish, and quite a few others - but if I had to remove one of the first 3 to replace with any of those, I wouldn't. I like cheese but not huge on it. Don't really care for soy.

Prest12

AquaBaby said:
Chicken pot pie
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken & dumplings
Chicken over a salad
Chicken vegetable soup
Chicken & potato chowder
Chicken fried rice

These all sound amazing. Chicken and dumplings as actually where the leftover chicken came from.

Prest12

Bread. You happy?

This is my first time making a yeast bread in the oven, so don’t expect it to look perfect.

And chili.

V1K

Prest12 said:
Might sound like a weird question, but it's unusual around these parts - why do you shred chicken? What's the function of shredded chicken? We either eat it in large chunks, or, if we want to add it to things like spagetti etc., we cut it in small pieces.

Prest12

V1K said:
Might sound like a weird question, but it's unusual around these parts - why do you shred chicken? What's the function of shredded chicken? We either eat it in large chunks, or, if we want to add it to things like spagetti etc., we cut it in small pieces.
I’m not the person to be answering this question. The best thing I can think of is that is provides a different texture.

Lorli

I only shred it for the dogs!

Coradee

Please let’s not sidetrack this thread with a lot of chit chat it’s for sharing recipes & tips, we don’t want to have to scroll though dozens of chat posts to find them, thanks.

AggressiveAquatics

Prest12 said:
Bread. You happy?

This is my first time making a yeast bread in the oven, so don’t expect it to look perfect.

And chili.
Do you have a recipe for that? It looks really good, my favorite type of bread is the type with the crunchy outside which this looks like it has

Prest12

AggressiveAquatics said:
Do you have a recipe for that? It looks really good, my favorite type of bread is the type with the crunchy outside which this looks like it has
The recipe is here:
The top isn’t really crunchy, but it’s still very good. It’s also super fast to make.

V1K

Prest12 said:
The recipe is here:
The top isn’t really crunchy, but it’s still very good. It’s also super fast to make.
I put your recipe to use yesterday. I added an egg to it because I think it makes things less crumbly. I also added sunflower seeds, oats and some herbs for more taste and texture. Good stuff!

Fishnpups

Yall are making me hungry and i feel my cooking is no longer superior

V1K

Fishnpups said:
Yall are making me hungry and i feel my cooking is no longer superior
Well if you were looking at the posts like "lol noobs", there would be nothing for you to learn here. Now you can get some new ideas, which I believe is the main point of this thread .

Fishnpups

V1K said:
Well if you were looking at the posts like "lol noobs", there would be nothing for you to learn here. Now you can get some new ideas, which I believe is the main point of this thread .
Oh for sure definitely agree with that. But these all look so good.

Im also having to relearn how to cook all the things because a recent allergy test revealed I'm allergic to everything from garlic to mustard to mayonaise to broccoli to sauces, etc. so ill just sit here and appreciate the aesthetics and yalls brilliance

But i will add: anyone that makes spaghetti squash, cut it into circles instead of half way and youll get more evenly/faster cooked "noodles"

V1K

Fishnpups said:
Oh for sure definitely agree with that. But these all look so good.

Im also having to relearn how to cook all the things because a recent allergy test revealed I'm allergic to everything from garlic to mustard to mayonaise to broccoli to sauces, etc. so ill just sit here and appreciate the aesthetics and yalls brilliance

But i will add: anyone that makes spaghetti squash, cut it into circles instead of half way and youll get more evenly/faster cooked "noodles"
Aw, to work around so many allergies must be a real nuisance...

Fishnpups

V1K said:
Aw, to work around so many allergies must be a real nuisance...
Yes girl, yes. But all yalls food looks so yummy! Ill taste through the screen and appreciate it. They all look great

Prest12

V1K said:
I put your recipe to use yesterday. I added an egg to it because I think it makes things less crumbly. I also added sunflower seeds, oats and some herbs for more taste and texture. Good stuff!
It’s nice hearing from people who actually know what they’re doing. I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

Cold&warm

I bought beef for the upcoming feast days:

I also bought a bottle of very sweet Italian aromatic sparkling wine.
But ... browsing on the internet I have not found one single recipe that combines any type of meat with sweet wine, be it sparkling or not, white or not. My sweet spumante is made of moscato grapes:

The wines mentioned in online recipes (not only Italian) are always dry or brut. Could anyone of you, experienced cooks give me information as to what type of wine I should use to prepare this slow cooking type of beef?
Mind you, I am not inquiring about what type of wine I should drink with the beef: I do not drink alcoholic beverages. Which is a shame, really, in a wine producing country.
Any supermarket here offers an array of wines that, I guess, many countries can only dream of. And at incredible prices: the bottle in the picture came at a mere 2.39 euro.

Many thanks in advance!
And a Merry (preparation of) Christmas, in and outside the kitchen...

AcornTheBetta

Don't have any pics (sorry) but I made sheet pan sausages with bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Tomorrow, I am going to make pulled chicken sliders in the slow cooker.

AggressiveAquatics

AcornTheBetta said:
Don't have any pics (sorry) but I made sheet pan sausages with bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Tomorrow, I am going to make pulled chicken sliders in the slow cooker.
Oooh make sure to take a picture of those.
also what is everyone making for Christmas?

AcornTheBetta

AggressiveAquatics said:
Oooh make sure to take a picture of those.
I'll get a pic of the chicken.
I think we're doing homemade pasta...

V1K

AggressiveAquatics said:
It's just me and my cat this year, and he doesn't like human food, so not much. I'll make herring with stewed carrots and onions, I'll bake ginger cookies, and I'll make poppy milk which I'll eat with kūčiukai (traditional Lithuanian Christmas Eve cakes/cookies, they're small, crunchy, have poppies in them, you throw them into poppy milk and eat them like cereal). I bought those, although I could bake them myself, but I suspect I'll be lazy to bake both these and ginger cookies, and I cannot buy ginger cookies as good as mine, so I made a choice.

I also bought some oyster mushrooms, never tried them, no idea what to do with them, so that'll be an adventure. But I'll use those before Christmas, because they'd get spoiled until then.

Nessaf

I made french onion soup for dinner today.
When I make a prime rib roast, I save the bones and make a bone stock and shred up the meat between the bones and add that in. I then take about 3-4 Tbsp of butter and sauté a large onion in it, until slightly carmelized. Add a few Tbsp of flour to make a roux, then add the stock. It’s usually about 8-12 cups, but I don’t measure anything really. Then I add some beef soup base to add salt and flavor, to taste. Also add a few sprinkles of Herbs de Provence and some fresh ground white pepper. Simmer a bit to blend the flavors. To serve, spoon up into ceramic bowls, add a toasted slice of my homemade bread (I usually bake bread weekly) and cover with a slice of cheese. Usually I use provolone, but my spouse forgot it so I used havarti. You can then pop the bowls under the broiler to bubble the cheese or hit it with a torch (like used for creme brûlé). Photo of the soup is the leftover that’s going into the refrigerator.

V1K

Ginger cookies with blueberry filling. I tried one, 10/10

SanDiegoRedneck

made a SMALL batch of short rib chili. I love how commercial pots dwarf home stoves. that is a 12 in cast iron pan next to rondo pot. lol but it did BAIRLY fit in my oven to braise

Nessaf said:
I made french onion soup for dinner today.
When I make a prime rib roast, I save the bones and make a bone stock and shred up the meat between the bones and add that in. I then take about 3-4 Tbsp of butter and sauté a large onion in it, until slightly carmelized. Add a few Tbsp of flour to make a roux, then add the stock. It’s usually about 8-12 cups, but I don’t measure anything really. Then I add some beef soup base to add salt and flavor, to taste. Also add a few sprinkles of Herbs de Provence and some fresh ground white pepper. Simmer a bit to blend the flavors. To serve, spoon up into ceramic bowls, add a toasted slice of my homemade bread (I usually bake bread weekly) and cover with a slice of cheese. Usually I use provolone, but my spouse forgot it so I used havarti. You can then pop the bowls under the broiler to bubble the cheese or hit it with a torch (like used for creme brûlé). Photo of the soup is the leftover that’s going into the refrigerator.
i want the fresh bread. yum

Betta'sAnonymous

V1K said:
Where's mine? :'(

Prest12

V1K said:
That looks amazing. Do you have a recipe?

V1K

Prest12 said:
That looks amazing. Do you have a recipe?
180 g butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp balsamic or apple vinegar
1 egg
Fresh ginger the size of an egg
5 ground clovers, 1 ground allspice, 1/2 teaspoon of cardamon and nutmeg
~750 ml wheat flour
1 teasp. of baking soda (leveled)

Cut butter in peaces, let it warm up. Grind the ginger in food processor, grind the spices if they're not ground already. Mix everything with sugar, honey, vinegar, egg. Put the flour and soda in. Knead till uniform. Roll to 0,5-1 cm thickness, cut in shapes. Bake 15 mintutes at 180 C.

That the basic batter recipe, but today I went extra step, cut one batch of cookies without holes, and then cut anouther one with holes (conveniently I have cutters of same shape and different size), put those on top, squeezed a bit so they stick together, and filled the holes with ground blueberries with sugar.

I only used half of the batter for the cookies in the photo, I froze the rest for the next time, the full recipe is too much for me alone.

Mhamilton0911

Jerky dry seasoning, or dry rub for any meat.

1/2 cup Sugar, white granulated mixes best
1/2 cup salt, regular table salt mixes best
2-4 tablespoons black pepper (depending on how peppery you like it. I go for 4.)
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For jerky, slice meat in 1/4 inch thick strips, as uniform as possible for even cooking. Sprinkle rounded tablespoon of seasoning per pound of meat. Mix well. Leave to marinate for at least an hour. Lay out on single layer on smoking racks, and smoke at 160-175 for 3-6 hours, depending on meat thickness. Check at hour intervals. When testing, let peice cool completely. Target texture bends and breaks just a little. Can be done in a dehydrator or oven but I don't know how long.

I prefer venison, and back leg works best for easy slicing, but any cut will work. With venison, remove any fat and silver skin/connective tissues for best end texture and flavor.

For beef cuts, bottom round is best, but London broil is good too. With the bottom round, I usually quarter it first, then cut half of the strips against the grain, and the other half with the grain. The against ther grain jerky is easier for kids to eat, and I like the long strips you get with going with the grain. Enjoy!!

Marinating:

Just loaded into smoker

Finished

DemonicZeroYT

I was thinking the other night what maybe favorite things to bake are, and I came to the conclusion that I love to bake everything so I came to ask y’all what yours are.

UmNick

Beer bread. I make it for EVERY family gathering, and I have never met someone who didn't love it. I also like making cracker pies with ritz crackers. My grandma used to make it, and it is almost indistinguishable from apple pie!

DemonicZeroYT

UmNick said:
Beer bread. I make it for EVERY family gathering, and I have never met someone who didn't love it. I also like making cracker pies with ritz crackers. My grandma used to make it, and it is almost indistinguishable from apple pie!
Cracker pie and beer bread? I have never heard of that before but that sounds really good. Is that like a commen treat around you?

Betta'sAnonymous

Fresh baked bread is ALWAYS a great thing! I am also a great fan of my mom's quick-breads, i.e. banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread, rhubarb bread, etc

DemonicZeroYT

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Fresh baked bread is ALWAYS a great thing! I am also a great fan of my mom's quick-breads, i.e. banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread, rhubarb bread, etc
I LOVE fresh bread as well and I love pumpkinbread it’s gotta be my favorite dessert bread!

UmNick

DemonicZeroYT said:
Cracker pie and beer bread? I have never heard of that before but that sounds really good. Is that like a commen treat around you?
Well the beer bread recipe I actually found online a few years ago, and I have made it almost weekly ever since! The cracker pie I learned from an old recipe book of my grandmothers (Great grandma, but we just called her grandma ). She was born in 1918 so at some point in her life she found it, and liked it enough to write down the recipe. Unfortunately she passed away a long time ago so I wont be hearing the full story of the pie anytime soon. I bet she would get a kick out of me still making it years later though!
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Pumpkin bread is where its at! I bet that rhubarb bread is pretty awesome too!

DemonicZeroYT

UmNick said:
Well the beer bread recipe I actually found online a few years ago, and I have made it almost weekly ever since! The cracker pie I learned from an old recipe book of my grandmothers (Great grandma, but we just called her grandma ). She was born in 1918 so at some point in her life she found it, and liked it enough to write down the recipe. Unfortunately she passed away a long time ago so I wont be hearing the full story of the pie anytime soon. I bet she would get a kick out of me still making it years later though!
Really your great grandma found that recipe, WOW. It’s awesome that after all this your still making it! Also I’m so sorry for your loss.
P.s I’m going find some recipes for that and make it.

FishSupreme

Tried and true banana bread.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom