Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 37

Frisbee

ForceTen said:
All day? Must be 100 pounder.
No, just from like 10 or 11am-5pm (we eat dinner around 5 at my house), so I make pies the day before so I’m not rushing around in the morning.

Betta'sAnonymous

Unknown9182 said:
I’m an expert at sunny side up, perfect method to wake my parents up. I’m still trying to master scrambled eggs.
Scrambled are way easier IMO.

Frisbee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Scrambled are way easier IMO.
Scrambled eggs are by far the easiest way to make them. And it has pretty much the same outcome as a chopped up omelette.

Betta'sAnonymous

Frisbee said:
Scrambled eggs are by far the easiest way to make them. And it has pretty much the same outcome as a chopped up omelette.
I struggle mightily with omelettes for some reason. Though the last time i attempted to make them, they actually turned out pretty decent.

Frisbee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I struggle mightily with omelettes for some reason. Though the last time i attempted to make them, they actually turned out pretty decent.
Yeah, omelettes are just fancy scrambled eggs. I just sauté mushrooms, unions and bell peppers in pan, then pour in a few scrambled eggs and mix it every couple minutes until it’s cooked. Tastes the same as an omelette and it’s way easier. You can even top it with avocados, tomatoes, cheese, etc after it’s cooked. I don’t see much of a point in omelettes other than to find a harder way to cook eggs, lol.

Coradee

My first attempt at a banana loaf, I used to do a lot of baking when my daughter was little but I haven’t done any in years. It’s a little dark on top, I’m dying to taste this once it’s cooled but it’s only just come out of the oven.

smee82

Coradee said:
My first attempt at a banana loaf, I used to do a lot of baking when my daughter was little but I haven’t done any in years. It’s a little dark on top, I’m dying to taste this once it’s cooled but it’s only just come out of the oven.
I can never wait for that first bite of the crust when its fresh from the oven, i always without fail end up burning my tongue.

Coradee

Haha, I was good & let it cool.
It tastes pretty good but next time I’ll add a bit less ginger

V1K

Talking about ginger, why didn't I think of buying some when I was at a shop today... It's that time of year again, time to make some ginger cookies .

Betta'sAnonymous

Coradee said:
If you ever need a test subject....!

Coradee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
If you ever need a test subject....!
Haha, thanks but I think I’ll manage to eat all of it myself

This is the next one on my baking list, I haven’t done this one for years & this recipe is probably older than me! For those of you who don’t like a heavy Christmas cake type of fruit cake this is a deliciously lighter but sticky fruit cake.
It’s a tray bake so use a roasting tin or similar & please check my temperature conversions.

Cup o’ tea cake

3 cups of fruit,(raisins, sultanas or mixed fruit)
I cup of margarine
1 cup strong tea
1 cup sugar (brown preferably)
2-3 cups of self raising flour
2 eggs
2-3 dessert spoons dark treacle
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
Pinch salt

First make a cup of strong black tea
Put fruit & tea in a pan & bring slowly to boil, simmer gently for 3-5 mins.
Take off the heat, add margarine & mix well, leave to cool.
Mix the dry ingredients (hold back some of the flour, it can be added later if needed) & add to fruit mixture stirring well.
Add beaten eggs & treacle & mix well, mixture should be dropping consistency, if too runny add more flour.
Pour into a roasting tin & bake for approx 1 1/2 hours
Gas mark 3, 325F, 160c (double check this, I only use the gas one)

Betta'sAnonymous

Some one remind me to post my grandma's apple cake recipe when i am not at work.

StarGirl

I have a Blueberry picnic cake thats fab too.

AggressiveAquatics

Just made these banana bread cookies yesterday they were so good

StarGirl

Coradee said:
Haha, thanks but I think I’ll manage to eat all of it myself

This is the next one on my baking list, I haven’t done this one for years & this recipe is probably older than me! For those of you who don’t like a heavy Christmas cake type of fruit cake this is a deliciously lighter but sticky fruit cake.
It’s a tray bake so use a roasting tin or similar & please check my temperature conversions.

Cup o’ tea cake

3 cups of fruit,(raisins, sultanas or mixed fruit)
I cup of margarine
1 cup strong tea
1 cup sugar (brown preferably)
2-3 cups of self raising flour
2 eggs
2-3 dessert spoons dark treacle
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
Pinch salt

First make a cup of strong black tea
Put fruit & tea in a pan & bring slowly to boil, simmer gently for 3-5 mins.
Take off the heat, add margarine & mix well, leave to cool.
Mix the dry ingredients (hold back some of the flour, it can be added later if needed) & add to fruit mixture stirring well.
Add beaten eggs & treacle & mix well, mixture should be dropping consistency, if too runny add more flour.
Pour into a roasting tin & bake for approx 1 1/2 hours
Gas mark 3, 325F, 160c (double check this, I only use the gas one)
3,325 f? what is treacle?

Coradee

StarGirl said:
3,325 f? what is treacle?
325 Fahrenheit
I think you call it molasses?

Betta'sAnonymous

Coradee said:
325 Fahrenheit
I think you call it molasses?
I have seen treacle mentioned in various reading and i never even thought to look it up! Thanks!!

ForceTen

Frisbee said:
No, just from like 10 or 11am-5pm (we eat dinner around 5 at my house), so I make pies the day before so I’m not rushing around in the morning.
A 25 pound turkey takes 4 - 4.5 hours at 325F.
So your turkey is bigger than 25 pounds or your turkey is over cooked.

Prest12

AggressiveAquatics said:
Just made these banana bread cookies yesterday they were so good
Banana bread cookies?! You can’t mention something like that and not share a recipe.

AggressiveAquatics

Prest12 said:
Banana bread cookies?! You can’t mention something like that and not share a recipe.

I didn’t add walnuts because I didn’t have any and I didn’t refrigerate the batter like the recipe said to and they turned out amazing. The batter is supposed to be kinda sticky but they turn into really soft muffin consistency when you bake them. They are also still soft next day unlike some cookies that get stale.
Also only bake them for 9-10 minutes

Bettamay

I don't bake/cook, but me and my sister sometimes watch the GBBO. (Great British Bake Off)

Frisbee

ForceTen said:
A 25 pound turkey takes 4 - 4.5 hours at 325F.
So your turkey is bigger than 25 pounds or your turkey is over cooked.
Yeah, that was what we estimated. The turkey actually finished around 3:30. We had an early dinner...

my mom overestimated the time we needed, because last year we had a 26 pound turkey and it took forever. Yes, 26 pounds. It didn’t really fit in the roasting pan. That was one big turkey.

StarGirl

The Allspice is the secret ingredient dont skip it. So yummy. The best coffee cake ever.

ForceTen

Frisbee said:
Yeah, that was what we estimated. The turkey actually finished around 3:30. We had an early dinner...

my mom overestimated the time we needed, because last year we had a 26 pound turkey and it took forever. Yes, 26 pounds. It didn’t really fit in the roasting pan. That was one big turkey.
Finally this year I bought a new roasting pan with really nice rack.
I had been using a V rack on a roaster that it did not fit. Was sort of dangerous especially because I roast the turkey breast side down for the first half of cooking time. So I have to turn it over.
Really helps keep the breast meat juicy.

BettasAreSuperior

Turkey roulades are great, I highly recommend them. Amazing. So soft and still retains the moisture. Tho, I love cooking.

Betta'sAnonymous

I like deep fried turkeys....especially when injected with hot sauce

Mhamilton0911

I've been smoking our Turkey, every year, for 4 years now. Never turning back. Tastes awesome, juicy, and frees up the oven for other goodness. Mmmmm...

V1K

V1K said:
Talking about ginger, why didn't I think of buying some when I was at a shop today... It's that time of year again, time to make some ginger cookies .
Made some today .

V1K

Today I tried to bake a pumpkin pie for the first time. I found all the recipes to be overly complikated, so I skipped a few steps like pre-baking the crust, covering the edges of the crust with foil, and also realized I havo no cream for the filling and didn't feel like waiting in line outside the shop (quarantine measures) just for it, so skipped it too. It turned out quite good looking, despite of some cracks. All the recipes said to let it cool off completely, or at least for an hour, but who has that kind of self control, that's insanity. So I cut it after half an hour. The insides are a complete mush, I wonder if they solidify as it completely cools off. Despite it, somehow, it was really delicious. I topped it with sweetened greek yoghurt with vanilla, it was great. I think I'll go have some more.

StarGirl

Im going to make Banana bread today I think!

Mhamilton0911

V1K said:
All the recipes said to let it cool off completely, or at least for an hour, but who has that kind of self control, that's insanity
Answer, no one.

Coradee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Some one remind me to post my grandma's apple cake recipe when i am not at work.
Reminder

Betta'sAnonymous

Coradee said:
Thanks! But i am at work again for another 2-3 hrs. Hopefully i remember AND can find that recipe book this evening!

Hugooo

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Thanks! But i am at work again for another 2-3 hrs. Hopefully i remember AND can find that recipe book this evening!
Don't worry! I'll remind you in 4 hours

Mhamilton0911

You know you've got a baking problem when the regular 8oz. size is not enough... presenting the 2lbs container

Betta'sAnonymous

Mhamilton0911 said:
You know you've got a baking problem when the regular 8oz. size is not enough... presenting the 2lbs container
2 lbs is still not enough....

StarGirl

Fresh out of the oven.

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
Fresh out of the oven.
I volunteer for guinea pig!!!

Prest12

Betta'sAnonymous I see that you’re on this thread, but I’m giving you a reminder anyway.

Betta'sAnonymous

Prest12 said:
@Betta’sAnonymous I see that you’re on this thread, but I’m giving you a reminder anyway.
I will get it in a bit. Smells like meatloaf is about done!

Lorli

V1K said:
Today I tried to bake a pumpkin pie for the first time. I found all the recipes to be overly complikated, so I skipped a few steps like pre-baking the crust, covering the edges of the crust with foil, and also realized I havo no cream for the filling and didn't feel like waiting in line outside the shop (quarantine measures) just for it, so skipped it too. It turned out quite good looking, despite of some cracks. All the recipes said to let it cool off completely, or at least for an hour, but who has that kind of self control, that's insanity. So I cut it after half an hour. The insides are a complete mush, I wonder if they solidify as it completely cools off. Despite it, somehow, it was really delicious. I topped it with sweetened greek yoghurt with vanilla, it was great. I think I'll go have some more.
I always make my late mother's recipe but this year I used a packaged crust from the store for the very first time. My mother would be horrified if she knew.

I believe some people used tinned evaporated milk instead of cream.

Sorry to butt in here but I love baking and couldn't resist.

aoiumi

Just made a simple supper of spaghetti, fresh tomato, cooked chicken, diced onion, fresh garlic, and olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes until beautifully brown, add the thin-sliced chicken and tomatos, cook a few more minutes, than add salt, pepper, some lemon juice, spaghetti, toss it all together, then plate and top with grated hard cheese and some fresh herbs. (today was asiago and basil, as they were what I had on hand) Love what you can make with some simple ingredients and a bit of time. And so tasty!

Betta'sAnonymous

Ok.

Apple Cake

4 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp melted butter or margarine
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix apples and nuts in large mixing bowl. Sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.

Combine eggs, vanilla, butter and sugar. Add to apples and nuts and mix well. Mix in dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Batter will be stiff. Spread in a bittered and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 F until toothpick comes out clean, around 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of batter in the pan before baking.

V1K

aoiumi said:
Just made a simple supper of spaghetti, fresh tomato, cooked chicken, diced onion, fresh garlic, and olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes until beautifully brown, add the thin-sliced chicken and tomatos, cook a few more minutes, than add salt, pepper, some lemon juice, spaghetti, toss it all together, then plate and top with grated hard cheese and some fresh herbs. (today was asiago and basil, as they were what I had on hand) Love what you can make with some simple ingredients and a bit of time. And so tasty!
Sounds delicious! But this reminds me - I don't get frying/sauteeing garlic. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but fried garlic smells bad, as soon as it makes contact with hot oil, it's ruined. Whenever a recipe says I should fry it until brown, I don't do that and just add crushed garlic near the end of cooking, along with herbs.

Coradee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Ok.

Apple Cake

4 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp melted butter or margarine
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix apples and nuts in large mixing bowl. Sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.

Combine eggs, vanilla, butter and sugar. Add to apples and nuts and mix well. Mix in dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Batter will be stiff. Spread in a bittered and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 F until toothpick comes out clean, around 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of batter in the pan before baking.
thank you, will definitely give this one a try, probably after Christmas now though

Prest12

V1K said:
Sounds delicious! But this reminds me - I don't get frying/sauteeing garlic. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but fried garlic smells bad, as soon as it makes contact with hot oil, it's ruined. Whenever a recipe says I should fry it until brown, I don't do that and just add crushed garlic near the end of cooking, along with herbs.
I find that brown = burnt. However long it says to cook the garlic, cut that time in half.

StarGirl

I always see it say "sauté until fragrant". I can't smell so that doesn't help me. But if it smells as soon as hits the oil IDK what to tell you there. I guess do what you do!

PascalKrypt

V1K said:
I think it is related to 'burning' spices (not sure what the proper english culinary translation would be). If you fry things like garlic and chili flakes as well as most ground spices briefly at a very hot temperature they change structure which strongly affects the scent, flavour and even the texture they add to food later. I failed miserably at cooking curries from scratch until someone gave me that tip. The trick though is briefly. Which for garlic and e.g. sambal is very, very briefly and not at max temperature. My electric stove has 17 settings, I put garlic on at the 14th or 15th for maybe 10 seconds straight after I can feel the oil packing heat. Then immediately add sliced or diced onion to soak up the rest of the oil so the garlic and sambal doesn't go black.
Smells really, really great if you can get it right

ForceTen

V1K said:

Personally I prefer tater pie. Its a southern thing. Sweet potato pie. Easy as can be. And yes, no issue with a frozen pie shell.

V1K said:
The reason recipes and instructions advise to saute the garlic in oil is to flavor the oil and to bloom the garlic. You will hear a chef say to saute only long enough to smell the fragrance.
Never saute garlic to dark brown. Slightly browned is fine. And is the key to many dishes.
Many people including myself like the smell of garlic fried or fresh.
In fact I smell garlic right now. I have a pork roast marinating in a Cuban Mojo. Mojo is loaded with garlic.
Some people don't like garlic. Hard to believe but true.

StarGirl

ForceTen said:
Personally I prefer tater pie. Its a southern thing. Sweet potato pie. Easy as can be. And yes, no issue with a frozen pie shell.

The reason recipes and instructions advise to saute the garlic in oil is to flavor the oil and to bloom the garlic. You will hear a chef say to saute only long enough to smell the fragrance.
Never saute garlic to dark brown. Slightly browned is fine. And is the key to many dishes.
Many people including myself like the smell of garlic fried or fresh.
In fact I smell garlic right now. I have a pork roast marinating in a Cuban Mojo. Mojo is loaded with garlic.
Some people don't like garlic. Hard to believe but true.
Ohhhh I love Cuban pork......Theres a place in the Keys that has a fantastic Cuban Pulled Pork sandwich. Thats what I get there every time.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom