Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 36

Splunji

Lchi87 said:
I can't be the only one! Thought it might be fun to start this thread; I'd love to swap recipes or have others share tips and tricks.

Made some really great roast chicken awhile back!

EDIT:
Here's the recipe!

Preheat oven to 375

Halve some heads of garlic
Slice potatoes, onions, carrots, celery (turnips work well here too)
Coat the bottom of your roasting pan in olive oil. Line it with your sliced potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic heads. Make a bed of rosemary and thyme.

Chicken:
Dry your thighs THOROUGHLY. In a small bowl, mix a package of italian seasoning, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp baking powder ( secret to crispy skin!). Combine well. Season chicken with mixture.

Lay chicken on your bed of veggies and aromatics. Halve a lemon, squeeze over veggies and put the halves in the roasting pan with the veggies. Season the veggies with any leftover chicken seasoning.

Place in oven on middle rack and roast uncovered for about an hour, then raise temperature to 400 and bake for another 15 minutes to an internal temp of at least 165F.

If its lacking color, broil on high for a few minutes but watch it like a hawk!

Let rest 5-10 minutes and enjoy! The potatoes and veggies will absorb any chicken fatty goodness and the garlic heads should be roasted enough to squeeze out and spread on some bread. Yum....
I know a little hibachi. I also know how to spin the spatula and do tricks, like the guy at the hibachi restaurants lol.

ElysiumPlants

I’m a former line cook/personal chef/private chef. Just want to say based on the pictures posted that you guys can cook for me ANY day.

For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of working with an immersion circulator, I very highly recommend the Anova Precision Cooker. Best $150 you’ll ever spend, especially if (like me) you’re picky about the doneness of something like a nice, thick ribeye. I’m a medium-rare - not rare, not medium, and if it’s medium-well, it’s going in the trash. The immersion circulator nails it every time because it’s literally impossible to overcook anything because you’re programming it for the target internal temperature. The food can’t overcook because it never goes past that temp, so you can literally leave that steak in overnight and still have medium-rare ribeye for steak and eggs the next morning. Very cool piece of technology.

Betta'sAnonymous

ElysiumPlants said:
I’m a former line cook/personal chef/private chef. Just want to say based on the pictures posted that you guys can cook for me ANY day.

For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of working with an immersion circulator, I very highly recommend the Anova Precision Cooker. Best $150 you’ll ever spend, especially if (like me) you’re picky about the doneness of something like a nice, thick ribeye. I’m a medium-rare - not rare, not medium, and if it’s medium-well, it’s going in the trash. The immersion circulator nails it every time because it’s literally impossible to overcook anything because you’re programming it for the target internal temperature. The food can’t overcook because it never goes past that temp, so you can literally leave that steak in overnight and still have medium-rare ribeye for steak and eggs the next morning. Very cool piece of technology.
Nice! I usually have a pretty good eye for the putside of beef steak(all bets are off on pork,chicken).

Elysium almost sounds like a reference to a game i play...

StarGirl

ElysiumPlants said:
you can literally leave that steak in overnight and still have medium-rare ribeye for steak and eggs the next morning.
How is this even possible? Sorry Im a skeptic. Just curious.

AquaticQueen

I bake, but more simple things. Here's one of the more impressive cakes my sister has baked in the past few months (at least it wowed me)

Betta'sAnonymous

Filet mignon, anyone?

ElysiumPlants

Just going to put this out there. Worked most of my life in food service (line cook, personal chef, private chef). There are things like keeping fish that I know a little bit about. When it comes to food, I don’t know everything, but I’ll admit that I know a lot.

I’ve eaten my way through some of the supposed culinary epicenters of the country (NY and CA come to mind first) and have generally been underwhelmed.

I’m going to let you guys in on my dirty little secret: once a year, the wife and I entrust our plants and animals to friends, rent a car and a hotel room, and drive four hours, and four hours back the next morning, just to go to dinner.

Did I mention we’re serious about food?

This place boasts the most creative, nuanced, perfectly-executed, jaw-droppingly perfect food I’ve ever experienced. Everything about this place is an experience. You’ll find exotic animal proteins, unusual heirloom vegetables, innovative preparations, an absolutely brilliant juxtaposition of different flavors and textures. The menu changes frequently, and is dictated by the ingredients. Fresh and seasonal are the rules here. Service is beyond amazing. Cocktails are amazing. Epic beer and wine as well. We’re not talking Bud Light here. If you’re after a good, earthy, crisp schwarzbier, a bright, energetic Barbera, or an ice-cold, tart vinho verde, this is the place to go. Their offerings change often, but that’s the best thing about this place: whatever is really amazing, right now, that’s what’s on the menu.

This is the place that good cooks go when they die.

Best part: Chef-Proprietor Marty Blitz is one of the most kind, humble, affable people I’ve ever met. Guy’s in it to nourish peoples’ souls as well as their bodies. He completely defies the (sadly, often all too true) stereotypes of professional chefs as shallow, temperamental, abusive, egotistical, effete, know-it-all types who haven’t worked the stations in their own house in years because they don’t have to.

The guy just loves food, loves what amazing food does to people. I think that, ultimately, it’s the secret to his genius. He doesn’t seem to realize he’s a genius, he just loves making beautiful things that bring people joy.

The restaurant is Mise en Place, in Tampa, Florida. I have no real reason to go to Tampa, aside from this, but it’s good enough to be worth checking the price of plane tickets if we lived too far away to make the drive.

Yes, it’s THAT good. If you’re lucky enough to live closer than we do, you need to try this place out. Haven’t looked or asked, but Marty’s smart as $h1+. I have no doubt they’ve got the proper protocols in place and are somehow slinging amazing food as takeout. Prices are beyond reasonable, given the experience.

fishyfriends876

Mmmm that chicken looks delicious!

NBettas83

AND NOW I CAN COOK PIZZA FROM SCRATCH WOOHOO (I've also made a lot of bread and some pasta.

DoubleDutch

Just a little proud of myself.
Living alone since some months now and still "staying alive".

AquaticQueen

My sister's geode cake.

DoubleDutch

AquaticQueen said:
My sister's geode cake.
My first thought : wrong forum for a geode hahaha

Betta'sAnonymous

AquaticQueen said:
My sister's geode cake.
This really looks awesome! Make sure to tell yiur sister. Guessing it tastes pretty good, too!

Betta'sAnonymous

Saturday night, pork sirloin chops with a rib rub and some hot dogs for one of the kids:

Last night, NY strips, cheesy garlic bread and hot dogs:

SanDiegoRedneck

Betta'sAnonymous said:
This really looks awesome! Make sure to tell yiur sister. Guessing it tastes pretty good, too!
Those cakes are pretty cool. I see alot of cakes in my industry. And I get bored. But the goe cakes I love

Betta'sAnonymous

Burgers tonight seasoned with a steak rub.

StarGirl

Making my first batch of Broccoli Cheese Soup for the fall. I have been dickering with this recipe for a long time and this is my best concoction.

4 C. chicken broth
1 Med. chopped Onion
Chopped carrots. I use baby carrots use desired amount
Boil until onion and carrots are tender.

I only use frozen broccoli flourettes and cook them in the microwave first. That way it doesn't disintegrate and add more water. I use 2 small bags or by desired amount in a big bag. Drain well.

When onion and carrots are done add 2 c. water and bring back to boil. Reduce heat to low and add:

1 16 oz box of Velveeta cheese. The small one.
1 stick of butter
1 tsp. Minced Garlic (or more)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp. Accent. Skip if you choose.

When cheese is melted I add:

1 c. 1/2 and 1/2 mixed well with 2 Tbls. Cornstarch. When cooked If it is too thick add some milk to thin it down and if too thin add some more cornstarch mixed with a small amount of milk. Make sure to mix well or it will clump.
EDIT: I used 6 Tbls cornstarch.......We like it thicker...

Last I add my broccoli and make sure its heated good. We like chunky Broccoli.

This is NOT a low calorie soup for sure but it is so good! Happy Fall Ya'll

julifhy

I made creamy scrambled eggs for breakfast today

This made me realize I’ve been cooking my eggs wrong for all these years lol. They tasted completely different! (I’m a very delicious way )

I also made mahi mahi with pineapple last month. It was sooo good

SanDiegoRedneck

julifhy said:
I made creamy scrambled eggs for breakfast today

This made me realize I’ve been cooking my eggs wrong for all these years lol. They tasted completely different! (I’m a very delicious way )

I also made mahi mahi with pineapple last month. It was sooo good
Beautiful presentation on first plate. Plus looks delicious.

Betta'sAnonymous

No pictures, but going back to basics tonight. Pigs in a blanket!

StarGirl

Anyone have a Instant Pot recipe that they though was super good? It's getting comfort food season. I'm making Beef Broccoli tonight.

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
Anyone have a Instant Pot recipe that they though was super good? It's getting comfort food season. I'm making Beef Broccoli tonight.
I got her an instant pot a few years ago but we only used it once. Then gave it to my sister because she wanted to try one out and uses it all the time!

I agree with comfort food season...we have been making chili dogs alot and i am going to be making breaded porkchops and stuffing in next couple of days.

Frisbee

Due to some health issues, I’ve been getting into gluten free, dairy free, potato free and legume free recipes. Yeah... I know that’s a lot of... frees.

basically, I’ve become a master at baking with almond flour and rice flour. I now make the best all-those-things-free chocolate cake.

I also made really good rice flour tortillas the other day that the whole family loved. Along with lemon pound cake, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, apple pie, cream pie and a few other things. My biggest goal right now is to try and make a diary free cheese-cake, yeah... that might be a little difficult, but I think I can do it.

I also have a few other things that I want to master, like gluten free and potato fee bread (all the gluten free store bought bread has potato flour in it).

I’m pretty sure gluten free donuts is a hopeless cause though. I’ve tried like a half dozen times and it just doesn’t work.

Betta'sAnonymous

Dinner is almost served!

Betta'sAnonymous

Dinner is served.

Demeter

Did an experiment today. Smoked deer ham! Not bad at all.

Side note: no idea why my photos are loading sideways today. Something must be up with the forum

Betta'sAnonymous

Dinner is served! Quite tasty, too

Mhamilton0911

Omg, I've made the best pumpkin cupcakes with chai spiced brown sugar frosting SO GOOD.

And yesterday I smoked my own homemade snack stick sausages. Also so good.

StarGirl

Were having rotisserie chicken. gross..... not my favorite but hubs likes it.

julifhy

I couldn’t find this thread for some reason

Here’s my first attempt on cloud eggs

I accidentally slightly over cooked it because I couldn’t tell if it was cooked or not. I also didn’t know you had to cook it in an oven lol. It was still really good though! And fluffy

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous do you have a recipe for Runza's? Every time I see your Nebraska I want one....lol

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Saturday was the bbq bacon runza. Surely there is a recipe online. Or maybe lincolnjournalstar.com

They have published recipes for them in the past.

Frisbee

Thanksgiving pie is in the oven! This one is dairy free and gluten-free for me. The regular one for the rest of the family is going in later today. I’ve also got gluten free stuffing to make. I’m getting all ready today because the turkey will be in the oven all day tomorrow.

Mhamilton0911

I too am gluten free so I usually buy premade gluten things (for everyone else) and homemake all my gluten free goodies

Frisbee

Mhamilton0911 said:
I too am gluten free so I usually buy premade gluten things (for everyone else) and homemake all my gluten free goodies
Pro tip, Almond flour makes really good pie crusts, better then rice flour in my opinion. Almond flour crusts are kind of gooy and you can’t really roll them out (I just press it into the pie dish), but after you bake it, it’s really flaky and yummy.

maverick26x

I love baking breads, pizzas, focaccia and the like! Love the smell of my kitchen while baking, puts me in a good mood

Mhamilton0911

Frisbee said:
Pro tip, Almond flour makes really good pie crusts, better then rice flour in my opinion. They are kind gooy and you can’t really roll them out (I just press it into the pie dish), but after you bake it, it’s really flaky and yummy.
I'm assuming almond flour alone, not in a mix? I currently use a mix, but my local store actually has almond flour and I can go get some.

I usually get strapped for time and just make apple crisp, but I love pies all year round. I am gifting myself a stand mixer this year so I will be eager to try it out.

Since you are GF, do you also bake your own bread? I'm struggling...

Frisbee

Mhamilton0911 said:
I'm assuming almond flour alone, not in a mix? I currently use a mix, but my local store actually has almond flour and I can go get some.

I usually get strapped for time and just make apple crisp, but I love pies all year round. I am gifting myself a stand mixer this year so I will be eager to try it out.

I just use plain blanched almond flour from Costco and add a little arrowroot and an egg to help the crust hold together. The egg isn’t really necessary, it just helps the texture in my opinion. My ratio is about 1 1/4 cups almond flour and 1/4 cup arrowroot for a one crust pie.For a regular two crust pie you can just double that.

The only problem with an almond flour pie crust is that for some strange reason it won’t cook in a stoneware dish. They come out amazing in glass pie dishes (what I use), but they just don’t work with stoneware. I don’t really know why.

I haven’t been able to make good bread yet. I tried making rice flour bread once, but it didn’t really rise properly because it is too cold in my house and I don’t have a rise setting on my oven. Bread is on my list of thing I need to experiment with though.

Frisbee

Mhamilton0911 said:

Oh btw, I made some gluten free stuffing that was pretty good. Just cut up onions and celery really small, sautéed them in a pan, then threw them in a bowl and mixed in an egg, some turkey dripping (just fatty broth that accumulates under the turkey), and a 50/50 mixture of rice flour and almond flour with some poultry seasoning and salt. Put it in a small casserole dish and put some tin foil over it and baked in the oven at 350 for a probably about a half hour (stirring every 10 minutes or so). Turned out quite nice!

Prest12

Didn’t really expect to decorate the pies, but I was bored.

And of course there are more.

AquaBaby

Saw this today... might try it

Cinnamon Swirl Apple Pie

AggressiveAquatics

I love cooking and baking here was tonight’s dinner

StarGirl

AggressiveAquatics said:
I love cooking and baking here was tonight’s dinner
Is that mayo?

AggressiveAquatics

StarGirl said:
Is that mayo?
Eeeeeewww no Mayo is gross lol. It’s sour cream, I love sour cream and steak

Masspanic

Guinness Stew!
Ingredients:
2-3 lbs lamb or beef (chunks should be about an inch cubed)
24 oz Guinness Stout
6 oz tomato paste
3/4 box of beef stock
Carrots (about 10 large sticks cut up--you should try to get an even ratio with the meat)
Celery (same as carrots)
4 boiled potatoes (cut after boiling)
Olive oil and flour should be handy
Salt (literally a pile of it on top of your stew, its a lot more than you think before you mix it)
Pepper (same as salt)
Parsley (if fresh, get a small bag and use half; if its a shaker, use about half of what you did for salt and pepper)
Thyme (same as parsley)
Basil (half of thyme/parsley)
2/3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 chopped onion
24 oz beef gravy
1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions
1. Cut up anything that needs to be cut so that you have it ready. Then start by pouring olive oil into frying pan (don't turn the stove on yet)
2. Coat cubed meat in flour and toss them in the pan
3. Once all meat is in the pan, then turn it to medium heat. You're trying to brown the meat, so flip it around a lot. If it starts burning (it shouldn't) pour in a bit of beef stock. When its browned, turn it on low.
4. Throw all ingredients that aren't these ^^ or the potatoes and gravy into your biggest pot. Start with Guinness, then tomato paste, then brown sugar. End with beef stock. Everything else it doesn't matter what order they go in.
5. Put this big pot on the stove on high for 15-20 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
6. In a separate (medium) pot, boil potatoes on high for 20-25 minutes. Feel free to toss in some salt and pepper
7. Once potatoes and the big pot are both done, drain water from potato pot, cut up potatoes into one inch cubes, and put them in the pot with everything else.
8. Put gravy in with the meat and mix it, then pour contents of pan into big pot and mix it. If it looks low/like there's not enough liquid, add more beef stock. Put on low heat for 4-6 hours.
9. You're done! Enjoy with soda bread for best results

V1K

It's not that I like cooking much, but I like the food I cook. I want my food to be delicious, healthy and cheap, and cooking is the only way to get all 3.

ForceTen

Frisbee said:
I’m getting all ready today because the turkey will be in the oven all day tomorrow.
All day? Must be 100 pounder.

Unknown9182

I’m an expert at sunny side up, perfect method to wake my parents up. I’m still trying to master scrambled eggs.

FishGirl115

I just finished no bake cookies and pumpkin brownies

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom