Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 35

Pariah

Having a 4th of July cookout at my mother's place and I've been tasked with making sides. Her boyfriend recently got a smoker and he wants to char the flesh, so I've been demoted to sides and dessert.

I am making: BBQ baked beans because they are a classic, smoked sweet potato salad and pecan pie. My wife is making her regular potato salad (yuck!) that I have no clue how she makes it because I despise regular potato salad, but word is is that it's fire.

BBQ beans:

2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell or poblano pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced or Lil Smokies
Three 15-ounce cans pork and beans, drained
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup light molasses
1/4 cup light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mustard
Hot sauce or diced hot peppers to taste

Mix ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, hot sauce and vinegar in a bowl.

Saute onions and peppers until good and tender. Add garlic and cook a minute or so until it smells amazing. Put in sauce bowl.

Meanwhile, fry up your sliced smoked sausage until crispy. Add to to sauce.

Add drained beans to sauce and mix. Pour into pan. Throw on smoker until bubbly, or cook in oven at 350° until bubbly, about 45ish minutes. If cooking in oven, a little liquid smoke (sin) is a good idea.

Smoked sweet potato salad:

Rub:
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Aioli/sauce:
2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
3/4 cup crispy bacon crumbles
2 green onions, thinly sliced
3/4 cup mayo
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard

Sweet potatoes:
2 large sweet potatoes (2#), 1/3" diced
1 tablespoon olive oil

Mix rub ingredients.

Mix aioli ingredients.

Parboil your sweet potatoes until just barely tender. Drain. Toss in oil. Add rub and toss to coat.

Smoke over moderate heat until tender like you would for potato salad. If not smoking, boil until potato salad tender tender and add a little liquid smoke (still a sin) to aioli.

Mix everything together and chill.

Pariah

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Boo!!! I wanted pictures. Lol
Just sat down for dinner (seared ahi tuna and Hawaiian rice). I'll post some pics later. Honestly, beans and sweet potato salad isn't much to look at.

mrjohn

I enjoy cooking but for some reason I cannot bake. Prepared and grilled some shrimp earlier for the 4th. We wanted to do something different. No burgers, dogs, chicken, etc.... Also plan on grilling a pizza in a little bit.

SanDiegoRedneck

mrjohn said:
I enjoy cooking but for some reason I cannot bake. Prepared and grilled some shrimp earlier for the 4th. We wanted to do something different. No burgers, dogs, chicken, etc.... Also plan on grilling a pizza in a little bit.

My favorite way to eat shrimp. Looks delicious.

Pariah

Awe darn, I forgot to take a picture. I'll go beat myself with the rubber hose now.

SanDiegoRedneck

Helping my neighbor at the bar she owns, doing patio seating in la Mesa CA. Cooked about 30 tickets alone even though was only patio seating due to covid. Limited bar style menu. Here is the Poke salad.

Come get your burgers there done. Lol

SanDiegoRedneck

mrjohn said:

I work in the industry and can kinda bake. They are two different beasts, bakers love to measure and like perfection because you HAVE to measure when baking.
People who cook in general are more off their rockers, dash of this pinch of that. Just enough to taste. Lol
Even in the catering industry usually not always but normally a company does one or the other. Cook or bake

Mhamilton0911

To bad San Diego is so far away cuz I'm hungry and that looks delicious!!
Jealous!

SanDiegoRedneck

Mhamilton0911 said:
To bad San Diego is so far away cuz I'm hungry and that looks delicious!!
Jealous!
Ok last one from this bar. (Not my catering company, but helping my neighbor cook the rest of her product before shutdown) My favorite from this bar
short rib nachos.
4hr braised short ribs
Fresh made chips
Jalapenos
Green onions
Then I made from scratch
Cheese sauce
Pico
Cilantro cream
Charred salsa

alanarb

I love baking especially chocolate chip cookies and pie. My favorite recipe isn't super complicated either.
Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie!

5 Granny Smith Apples
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 cup Sugar
2 cans of Cinnamon Rolls
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a circular pan with nonstick oil.
  2. Cut the apples into thin slices and place in a bowl.
  3. Add sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch to apples and stir.
  4. Cut each cinnamon roll in half and roll out with flour until thin.
  5. Layer the bottom of the pie dish with the flattened cinnamon rolls to create a bottom crust.
  6. Add the apples and layer the rest of the rolls on top to create a closed crust, pinch any holes together with your fingers.
  7. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
  8. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes uncovered.
  9. Allow the pie to cool and drizzle with icing.
It's so yummy haha

marmaaa

Yum food. I love to bake and cook especially Mediterranean food!

SanDiegoRedneck

marmaaa said:
Yum food. I love to bake and cook especially Mediterranean food!
I just got a book on Mediterranean. I'm excited to try new food

KeresKim

I love to bake and learning to cook. I stil have issues with my macarons cracking/not developing feet so if anyone can trouble shoot lemme know lol

marmaaa

SanDiegoRedneck said:
I just got a book on Mediterranean. I'm excited to try new food
Ooo have fun! Post pics on here!

KeresKim said:
I love to bake and learning to cook. I stil have issues with my macarons cracking/not developing feet so if anyone can trouble shoot lemme know lol
Same OMG

KeresKim

marmaaa said:
Half the time I get really nice macarons, the other times they look like shapeless blobs. I tried turning down the temp from 320 to 300 and in stead of 12 minutes they are in the oven for 15 min and they look slightly better

marmaaa

KeresKim said:
Half the time I get really nice macarons, the other times they look like shapeless blobs. I tried turning down the temp from 320 to 300 and in stead of 12 minutes they are in the oven for 15 min and they look slightly better
Hm I will have to try that. I have done so many things for them and they always come out bad. During the cooking time I can see that they look good but after that boom they're ugly.

JB92668

love every ones food ideas I cook thai food and Scottish food and Spanish food

NevermindIgnoreMe

I am a pretty good baker myself, especially with frostings (so many options) and chocolate anything, chocolate cake is my best. And I love blueberry cake too, homemade by yours truly of course. Cakepops? I have that in the bag, no problem, fancy or casual or for whatever. Sadly, I still haven't found that special scratch vanilla cake/cupcake recipe. I won't stop looking though. Never. I won't settle for anything less than perfect, lol I'm such a perfectionist. Once I get that though, I'll be unstoppable...

I'm not too shabby at cooking either, I especially like Asian food, I love Yummly, btw any cooks out there, it's pretty great. My favorite recipe is "Healthy Orange Chicken" from The Clean Eating Couple. I just love the flavor.

Btw weird thing about me, I only eat chicken, fish, and crab meatwise. No shrimp, bacon, steak, or red meat of anykind. No thanks. Not a health issue, I just don't like it, plus it's not as good for you anyway.

emeraldking

I can cook, I can bake.... but I love to eat...

aoiumi

SanDiegoRedneck said:
I work in the industry and can kinda bake. They are two different beasts, bakers love to measure and like perfection because you HAVE to measure when baking.
People who cook in general are more off their rockers, dash of this pinch of that. Just enough to taste. Lol.
Even in the catering industry usually not always but normally a company does one or the other. Cook or bake
I am normally forced to cook because I can't eat everything I would bake, (the /carbs/,) but while I'm fairly good at both, they are very different beasts.

qldmick

Pistachio and parmesan crusted chicken breasts, just coat chicken in plain yogurt and finely process parmesan, pistachio and salt, then crumb. Oven bake.

qldmick

Was very tasty.

SanDiegoRedneck

Ok so I have cooked for a while. Ran catering companies and just found this out. If you put %100 honey in water and swirl the honey will go into a honey comb shape!!

Mind blown.

Gh05t

I love to cook...baking to a lesser degree; however I still do bake. I have taken a more health conscious approach to life over the last 2 years and it is interesting making "normal" food into lower calorie healthier versions. Tonight's menu is crispy buffalo chicken tenders and garlic green beans with banana pudding

Pariah

Gh05t said:
Double post.
I'm the master of double posting and I try to refrain myself, but it happens... often... I normally do pretty good.

Our daughter wanted to cook tonight. Collard greens is what's on the menu. I may be from the great white north, but my roots are as southern as can be. I did the knife work since she's only 6 and my knives are scary sharp. Ingredients... oops, forgot the garlic.

There it is. More than enough to ward off any vampires within a 60 mile radius.

She wanted to try the apple cider vinegar... again... I tried to remind her of last time, but you can't reason with kids...

Boiling away for a minute.

Just mixed up some cornbread. I forgot chipotle peppers in adobo from Walmart, so we're having cornbread with just some sharp Troyer's Lightning Jack inside.

More pics as things progress...

Nothing fancy, but kind grinds.

Basil

Just joining this thread. Meant to a while ago. Love to cook and bake. And well, “summertime and the living is easy”.
Today is my day off so I’m running around doing stuff (tank water changes and meeting the equine vet/chiropractor for my horse) so I totally threw together this lunch: avocado, tomatoes from my garden, fresh mozzarella cheese, drizzled with some avocado oil (cause one can never get enough avocado!) and everything bagel seasoning. Turned out better than I thought it would!

Pariah

Redneck chicken parmesan and sauteed zucchini.

Those cheap Walmart breaded chicken chicken patties covered in jarred pasta sauce and mozzarella.

Zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic, Italian seasoning mix, extra basil (I love basil!), salt and pepper and parmesan cheese.

Edit: I've created a monster. My son saw me putting extra basil on my food so he wanted to try some. Then wanted more. And more.

Betta'sAnonymous

i tend to stick to the grill when i cook as my wife prefers me to stay out of the kitchen(unless i am doing dishes)

Pariah

Edit: The kids insisted on trying a prickly pear, which they surprisingly had at our Walmart. It was actually the sweetest one I've ever had, but neither of them liked it. I don't care for them, either.

Gh05t

Ribeye for humans...tilapia for the dogs.

julifhy

Basil said:
Just joining this thread. Meant to a while ago. Love to cook and bake. And well, “summertime and the living is easy”.
Today is my day off so I’m running around doing stuff (tank water changes and meeting the equine vet/chiropractor for my horse) so I totally threw together this lunch: avocado, tomatoes from my garden, fresh mozzarella cheese, drizzled with some avocado oil (cause one can never get enough avocado!) and everything bagel seasoning. Turned out better than I thought it would!
That looks so good! I would definitely eat that for lunch, but it’s 12 and I just had breakfast

julifhy said:
I’m almost done with school, so that means I’ll have a lot of more time to so many other things (like cooking and baking :joyful

This is a Popeye’s Chicken Sandwhich Recipe (keep in mind this probably isn’t the exact same recipe and doesn’t taste exactly the same as the actual sandwich, but it is still really good ):

Ingredients:
Chicken breast
Tabasco
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Eggs
Buttermilk
Flour
Paprika
Oil (I used olive oil)
Mayonnaise
Dill picked
Jalapeños (optional)
Any white bread will be fine

Chicken seasoning:
Tabasco
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Let marinate until you‘re ready to fry it

Crust:
Dip in:
1-2 eggs
Buttermilk (you can also you normal milk, but it tastes a lot better with buttermilk imo)

Next dip in:
1-2 cups flour
Cayenne
Paprika
Salt
Pepper

Put oil in pan and fry (I used medium heat and fried until it was a golden color)

Mayo spread:
Mayonnaise
Paprika
Cayenne
Tabasco

Finish with:
Dill pickles
Jalapeños (the sandwich itself is spicy, but if you like your food extra spicy, then you can add the jalapeños)

I do not have the exact measurements, but in this recipe it doesn’t really matter because you decide how much of the ingredients you want to add anyways

Here’s how mine turned out:

Unfortunately, I suck at taking food pictures lol. I was also really hungry, so I just snapped a quick picture and ate it hilarious
If I get a better picture, I’ll make sure to update.
Anddddd here’s the better picture :

StarGirl

Pariah said:
Redneck chicken parmesan and sauteed zucchini.

Those cheap Walmart breaded chicken chicken patties covered in jarred pasta sauce and mozzarella.

Zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic, Italian seasoning mix, extra basil (I love basil!), salt and pepper and parmesan cheese.

Edit: I've created a monster. My son saw me putting extra basil on my food so he wanted to try some. Then wanted more. And more.

I love basil too. Ever try the tube of basil in the produce section? So good. I just had a burger earlier this week with melted motz and just tube basil and it was amazing.

Pariah

StarGirl said:
I love basil too. Ever try the tube of basil in the produce section? So good. I just had a burger earlier this week with melted motz and just tube basil and it was amazing.
I have not, honestly. Always dried or plucked right off the plant. But a basil burger sounds amazing. In the near future...

StarGirl

I use this whenever I use basil. So much flavor instantly. Lol

Betta'sAnonymous

What's on your plate?

alx

All these tomatoes were grown this summer. Its like no tomatoes for months then BOOM, tomatoes everywhere.

Paired with some penne. A very nice veggie dinner.

alx

StarGirl said:
I use this whenever I use basil. So much flavor instantly. Lol
I love the italian herbs and chunky garlic ones of this brand. Haven't tried basil. They pack a big punch and were both used in my tomato sauce up there ^^. Super easy way to add great flavor.

Betta'sAnonymous

Food coma incoming

SanDiegoRedneck

Since catering in shut down due to covid, helping open a new garden restuarant in la Jolla ca. Fri, sat, Sunday 14 tables.

Just finishing working on menu I will chef.

Ps. Only deserts made by someone else. A local master baker

blennylover2323

this is so cool!!
I personally don't bake but my friend does, she makes cakes and slices in a bakery. this is her Carmel slice and cupcakes. I am her personal taster!!

Betta'sAnonymous

blennylover2323 said:
this is so cool!!
I personally don't bake but my friend does, she makes cakes and slices in a bakery. this is her Carmel slice and cupcakes. I am her personal taster!!
I would be even fatter than i already am!! Lol

NBettas83

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Food coma incoming
Is... Is tha... Is that GARLIC BREAD?

Tell me where you live I'm coming.

Betta'sAnonymous

NBettas83 said:
Is... Is tha... Is that GARLIC BREAD?

Tell me where you live I'm coming.
Yes it was. Usually i do cheesy garlic bread, switched up for this one

Betta'sAnonymous

Last night's fare. Who's hungry?

Cold&warm

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Kinda cruel, huh? Looks delicious!!! On the other hand, also due to the fact that I am a terribly poor cook, I managed to lose over 20 kg (>44 lbs) since New Year ...
(BTW I get real hungry watching your culinary art...)

StarGirl

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Pork steaks? I love them but never grilled em Those look so good! We're having Ribeye's tonight drool.....lol I love me some steak!

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
Pork steaks? I love them but never grilled em Those look so good! We're having Ribeye's tonight drool.....lol I love me some steak!
Do love my ribeyes, too!! Yeah, i always put a rub on my pork steaks, usually famous daves rib rub

Betta'sAnonymous

Cold&warm said:
Kinda cruel, huh? Looks delicious!!! On the other hand, also due to the fact that I am a terribly poor cook, I managed to lose over 20 kg (>44 lbs) since New Year ...
(BTW I get real hungry watching your culinary art...)
I just call it an excuse to play with fire, not art!

Cold&warm

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I just call it an excuse to play with fire, not art!
Hahaha, call it the way you prefer. For sure I would in no time regain the weight I lost if I had access to such delicious food...

Betta'sAnonymous

Cold&warm said:
Hahaha, call it the way you prefer. For sure I would in no time regain the weight I lost if I had access to such delicious food...
At work, people ask me all the time of i want some food when they come through my gate. My usual reply is "well, i didn't get fat because i turn down yummy food!" It is definitely a weakness.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom