Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 34

Cheesecake

Member
david1978 said:
Well I'm 42 and in bad health. I probably only have to cook another 20 years tops.
I meant it might take awhile to actually cook the salmon. IDK how cook times between smoker and oven vary.
 

david1978

Member
Canaculus said:
I meant it might take awhile to actually cook the salmon. IDK how cook times between smoker and oven vary.
The toaster oven should be just like using a standard oven. Its like 15 minutes or something like that.
 

Cheesecake

Member
david1978 said:
The toaster oven should be just like using a standard oven. Its like 15 minutes or something like that.
Oh. Lol thought it took longer than that. Like 30 or something.
 

aoiumi

Member
Canaculus said:
Well there's the problem. We smoke it, which is the "true" way. Boiling loses some essence and doesn't give that rich smokey flavor.
IMO all three ways are good but smoking it is the way I've been raised, and my dad is pretty much an expert (people he doesn't even know will come up to him and compliment his cooking).



See above post.
I was going to say something else but wait wait wait. Three? What's the third way? I know baking and spices, not meats.
 

david1978

Member
aoiumi said:
I was going to say something else but wait wait wait. Three? What's the third way? I know baking and spices, not meats.
Boiling, baking and smoking if I had to guess.
 

BabsandLoon

Member
Canaculus said:
Scrapple? Don't make me laugh. Pudding is the king of food made out of unused pig parts.
Though scrapple is also delicious.
Anyone here LOVE sunny side up eggs? Or at least eggs with unbroken yolks?
When I was growing up, my grandfather would make sunny side up eggs for my cousins and I to eat with toast. We called them "dipping eggs". Sometimes I still call them that.
 

Cheesecake

Member
aoiumi said:
I was going to say something else but wait wait wait. Three? What's the third way? I know baking and spices, not meats.
Boiling, smoking, and pressure cooking. I included all three of the ways that were being discussed.
 

david1978

Member
BNBetta said:
When I was growing up, my grandfather would make sunny side up eggs for my cousins and I to eat with toast. We called them "dipping eggs". Sometimes I still call them that.
Dippy eggs. I still call them that.
 

Kevin1962

Member
I bake all of bread and buns.
Got a sous vide from the family at xmas. Makes meat and poultry nearly perfect after the initial learning curve.
 

david1978

Member
Can you add pinto beans to homemade chilI along with the kidney beans?
 

Cheesecake

Member
david1978 said:
Can you add pinto beans to homemade chilI along with the kidney beans?
Yup! Any kind of beans really, even coffee beans if you're in the mood for some caffeinated chili.
 

StarGirl

Member
david1978 said:
I would cook it in the pressure cooker. I think. Possibly. Maybe. Hmmmmm hello Google.
BEST in the pressure cooker!

Mine is actually cooking right now! YUM!

david1978 you talk of rotting cabbage but eat that pork grundle loaf?
 

david1978

Member
StarGirl15 said:
david1978 you talk of rotting cabbage but eat that pork grundle loaf?
I made a chicken noodle pot pie thing today. Cooked a 5 pound chicken. Then the potatoes and carrots. Then the pot pie noodles. Then the egg noodles. Made 18 portions. 17 are in the freezer. Then I just made mussels and a lemon butter to dip them. Both turned out amazing.
 

MaximumRide14

Member
Made some cacio e pepe the other night!
 

Demeter

Member
Do drinks count?

Venison stirfry!
 

qldmick

Member
posted here and not on the crayish forum as not to offend people.
 

Frisbee

Member
qldmick said:
posted here and not on the crayish forum as not to offend people.
I wanna catch myself a bunch of crayfish this summer. I love shrimp, so I figure crayfish is worth a try. I’m still a little skeptical of the purging process. Salt seems kinda cruel, but just water doesn’t seem as safe an sanitary.
 

qldmick

Member
round two.


LittleBlueGuppy said:
I wanna catch myself a bunch of crayfish this summer. I love shrimp, so I figure crayfish is worth a try. I’m still a little skeptical of the purging process. Salt seems kinda cruel, but just water doesn’t seem as safe an sanitary.
these didn't get purged at all just a trip to the fridge before cooking then cooked in salted water. these are redclaw from clean water lakes and taste great without purging, the local yabbies come from dirty creeks and I did purge them once in clean water and they tasted great.
 

qldmick

Member
before cooking.
 

CrayfishAreAwesome

Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 

MacZ

Member
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!
 

CrayfishAreAwesome

Member
MacZ said:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
 

Frisbee

Member
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Cause they taste good and people need to eat.
 

MacZ

Member
LittleBlueGuppy said:
Cause they taste good and people need to eat.
There's your answer.
 

KenedeeRenee

Member
I have other people who cook in my house so I don't get the opportunity often, but I do make a pretty good bruschetta that everyone begs for. I'm also pretty good at clam chowder, baked ziti, and homemade onion rings. But I'm typically more of a baker. I've been making some pretty cute cakes for birthdays in my family lately. And the best part is everyone raves about how unexpectedly delicious they are. Because most of the time cute cakes have more fondant and rice crispy then actually yummy cake. But mine include little to no fondant and I don't use rice crispy to make cake topper decorations. Below are some cakes that I've made recently.

White chocolate raspberry mouse unicorn cake for my mom's bday earlier this month. The horn is hard candy mix with edible holographic glitter mixed in.

Minnie Mouse Cake I made for my niece's 4th birthday last month. Chocolate cake with vanilla mousse filling and vanilla whipped buttercream frosting. Black fondant bow with edible holographic glitter.

Chocolate cake with strawberry mousse filling and white chocolate pour glaze for my Grandma's birthday last year.

Tie dye cake with with raspberry mousse filling and marshmallow whipped buttercream for my mom's birthday last year. So much food coloring in the cake alone.. but if that wasn't enough...

I also made matching tie dye vanilla ice cream.
 

QCAquaholic

Member
I'm making jambalaya right now...well, minus the shrimp. I forget to get those.
 

aoiumi

Member
No pictures ( ), but I made some very good homemade Indian food for a small birthday party, with chocolate lava cakes for dessert. It was so much fun to make.

The Indian dish is called "baltI lamb with yogurt and garam masala sauce," which does not seem like a very specific title to me, but it's definitely one of my favorite recipes. I'm not actually sure how authentic it is, but it does taste really good.

The lava cakes had whipped cream and raspberry sauce on them, both homemade. I, uh, learned some things about using whipped cream as topping but it still tasted really good even if it didn't look how I wanted. I'm probably going to make it again some time to experiment more.
 

alx

Member
My mother has arthritis and found this recipe for a no-knead bread. Baked in a dutch oven. Came out super good.

 

PascalKrypt

Member
alx said:
My mother has arthritis and found this recipe for a no-knead bread. Baked in a dutch oven. Came out super good.
Care to share the recipe? Super curious.
 

alx

Member

qldmick

Member
just some seafood sticks and scallops ive crumbed to go with some fish for a seafood dinner tonight.
 

NBettas83

Member
Simple Pasta

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 Cups of flour + a few more for flouring the counter, etc...
  • Salt, a good amount. 1/2 Tsp for the dough but you'll need at least another tablespoon for boiling it.
  • Olive Oil, about 1 Tbsp.
  • 4 Eggs.
  • Water (of course). For the dough and boiling.
Instructions:
Start by mixing 2 1/2 Cups of flour and 1/2 Tsp salt in a bowl. Make a well in the middle (search 'flour well') and add 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil and 4 eggs. Mix the liquid together. Then start mixing the dry ingredients by pushing them into the well in the middle. Add water and flour as needed and keep mixing. After you've mixed it enough to stay together place it on a lightly floured cutting board (or your counter) and keep kneading and working it until it's a nice consistency. Not crumbly and not too wet. Then wrap it in cling wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
After that is done, knead it a little more to get it fresh again. Now comes cutting. You can either hand cut it or use a pasta machine. I will add the separate instructions below:

With Pasta Machine:
Cut your dough into slices. Take one, and feed it through the roller to flatten it. Then, depending on the consistency, add a little flour onto it, fold it, and roll it. Do this until it is the right consistency. Then, feed it through the cutting wheel and hang the strands to dry. Or set them on something, like a clothes hanger-table-thing (Idk what it is) with towels under the pasta.

By Hand:
Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, until it is the thickness pasta should be. Again, depending on the consistency, add flour and fold as needed. When you are ready to cut. Roll it out to the right thickness. Then, there are separate ways you can do this. Some people cut the dough into sections, roll them up, and cut strands, then unroll them. I ended up just running a knife along the dough and making strands. Didn't work well for me, but I haven't made this too much. Then, hang it to dry (or set it).

Cooking:
If the pasta was just made, it will take less time to cook. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a generous amount of salt. I usually use a Tbsp or more. Then add your pasta to the pot. Leave it for a minute to let it soften, then stir it a little. Fresh pasta, depending on the thickness usually boils in 3-5 minutes. A way you can test is to scoop a small piece up, and throw it on the counter to let it cool. Then try it to see if it needs more time. I do this about once a minute. When it is cooked, strain it, and serve it fresh!

Good luck if you try this recipe! I really enjoy making it and it has turned out nice for me. I didn't exactly measure everything but I think you should for your first try. Then you develop a sense of amount. Keep in mind I was using Gluten Free flour as half of my family is GF. So yours might turn out differently.
 

MaximumRide14

Member
I forgot about this recipe I made 5 years ago... Lemon Cream Puffs with Raspberry Vanilla Coulis. I remember having to cut them in half to add the filling rather than stuff them, but they were still tasty lol

Filling:
⅔ cup sugar
6 egg yolks
¼ cup cornstarch
2 cups whipping cream
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (No pulp)

Egg Wash:
1 egg
1 ½ teaspoons water

Pastry:
2 teaspoons sugar
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs

Coulis:
1 cup fresh raspberries
¼ cup sugar
⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract

Lemon Cream Filling- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks until smooth. Sift cornstarch into the mixture and whisk until smooth. Add whipping cream until fully incorporated. Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan. On medium heat, stir continuously until thickened (approximately 8 minutes). Put filling into a bowl and refrigerate for two hours, making sure plastic wrap is on the surface of the filling so no skin is created. Stir in lemon juice and set aside.

Egg Wash- Whisk water and egg in a bowl.

Pastry- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large saucepan, boil sugar, cinnamon, salt, water, and butter on medium high heat. Once boiling, take off the heat and add all the flour, stirring until evenly mixed. Add the eggs (one at a time) until dough is smooth. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Use an ice cream scoop to make the pastry shape. Brush pastry dough with the egg wash. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes. Remove pastries from the oven and cool completely.

Coulis- In a medium saucepan, add raspberries, sugar, and vanilla extract. On medium heat, stir and crush berries until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and pour sauce into a strainer to remove seeds from the sauce. Set aside.

Preparing- Cut off the top of the pastry. Scoop about 5 tablespoons of filling into the pastry. Individually drizzle the tops of the cream puffs with the raspberry coulis. Serve and enjoy!

 

Renaissanista

Member
Lchi87 said:
I can't be the only one! Thought it might be fun to start this thread; I'd love to swap recipes or have others share tips and tricks.

Made some really great roast chicken awhile back!


EDIT:
Here's the recipe!

Preheat oven to 375

Halve some heads of garlic
Slice potatoes, onions, carrots, celery (turnips work well here too)
Coat the bottom of your roasting pan in olive oil. Line it with your sliced potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic heads. Make a bed of rosemary and thyme.

Chicken:
Dry your thighs THOROUGHLY. In a small bowl, mix a package of italian seasoning, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp baking powder ( secret to crispy skin!). Combine well. Season chicken with mixture.

Lay chicken on your bed of veggies and aromatics. Halve a lemon, squeeze over veggies and put the halves in the roasting pan with the veggies. Season the veggies with any leftover chicken seasoning.

Place in oven on middle rack and roast uncovered for about an hour, then raise temperature to 400 and bake for another 15 minutes to an internal temp of at least 165F.

If its lacking color, broil on high for a few minutes but watch it like a hawk!

Let rest 5-10 minutes and enjoy! The potatoes and veggies will absorb any chicken fatty goodness and the garlic heads should be roasted enough to squeeze out and spread on some bread. Yum....
Gorgeous!

I made a kefir raspberry walnut pie tonight.
Lchi87 said:
I can't be the only one! Thought it might be fun to start this thread; I'd love to swap recipes or have others share tips and tricks.

Made some really great roast chicken awhile back!


EDIT:
Here's the recipe!

Preheat oven to 375

Halve some heads of garlic
Slice potatoes, onions, carrots, celery (turnips work well here too)
Coat the bottom of your roasting pan in olive oil. Line it with your sliced potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic heads. Make a bed of rosemary and thyme.

Chicken:
Dry your thighs THOROUGHLY. In a small bowl, mix a package of italian seasoning, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp baking powder ( secret to crispy skin!). Combine well. Season chicken with mixture.

Lay chicken on your bed of veggies and aromatics. Halve a lemon, squeeze over veggies and put the halves in the roasting pan with the veggies. Season the veggies with any leftover chicken seasoning.

Place in oven on middle rack and roast uncovered for about an hour, then raise temperature to 400 and bake for another 15 minutes to an internal temp of at least 165F.

If its lacking color, broil on high for a few minutes but watch it like a hawk!

Let rest 5-10 minutes and enjoy! The potatoes and veggies will absorb any chicken fatty goodness and the garlic heads should be roasted enough to squeeze out and spread on some bread. Yum....
That looks great!
 

Mhamilton0911

Member
I am gluten free (not by choice ) so if I want something yummy, I'm forced to make it myself.
I make my own bread, cookies, cakes, pies, everything sweet. I also like long cold smoking meat. I cook for myself, husband and 3-4 kids so I'm always making something.
 

NBettas83

Member
Mhamilton0911 said:
I am gluten free (not by choice ) so if I want something yummy, I'm forced to make it myself.
I make my own bread, cookies, cakes, pies, everything sweet. I also like long cold smoking meat. I cook for myself, husband and 3-4 kids so I'm always making something.
A lot of my family is Gluten Free to. My dad comes from an all-Italian family and he is Gluten Free, and Dairy Free. My younger brother is the same.
 

kanzekatores

Member
I’m a cooker and baker! I try to take pictures of stuff I cook that turns out good, but here’s just a few:

Cherry pie


Pumpkin spice Bundt cake


Chicken tzatziki wraps


I made this the other night: Pork adobo with garlic rice and grilled glazed carrots!
 

Renaissanista

Member
Kefir Cream and Lemon Pie with Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce Meringues

I make both milk and water kefir
Its a probiotic like yogurt.
This pie is like a no bake cheesecake.
I put lemon filling in the bottom and swirled into the top.
 

julifhy

Member
I’m almost done with school, so that means I’ll have a lot of more time to so many other things (like cooking and baking :joyful

This is a Popeye’s Chicken Sandwhich Recipe (keep in mind this probably isn’t the exact same recipe and doesn’t taste exactly the same as the actual sandwich, but it is still really good ):

Ingredients:
Chicken breast
Tabasco
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Eggs
Buttermilk
Flour
Paprika
Oil (I used olive oil)
Mayonnaise
Dill picked
Jalapeños (optional)
Any white bread will be fine

Chicken seasoning:
Tabasco
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Let marinate until you‘re ready to fry it

Crust:
Dip in:
1-2 eggs
Buttermilk (you can also you normal milk, but it tastes a lot better with buttermilk imo)

Next dip in:
1-2 cups flour
Cayenne
Paprika
Salt
Pepper

Put oil in pan and fry (I used medium heat and fried until it was a golden color)

Mayo spread:
Mayonnaise
Paprika
Cayenne
Tabasco

Finish with:
Dill pickles
Jalapeños (the sandwich itself is spicy, but if you like your food extra spicy, then you can add the jalapeños)

I do not have the exact measurements, but in this recipe it doesn’t really matter because you decide how much of the ingredients you want to add anyways

Here’s how mine turned out:

Unfortunately, I suck at taking food pictures lol. I was also really hungry, so I just snapped a quick picture and ate it hilarious
If I get a better picture, I’ll make sure to update.
 

Dhughes32

Member
I too am a huge fan of cooking! Unfortunately i live in a very poor area of rural kentucky, so fishing and fish is a very large lifeline for the locals here. It has became part of the culture here. And thats one of the very few things i love about the place i call home. Going out and catching, cleaning, preparing and cooking our own locally sourced food
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Member
During the covid shutdown we (catering company I manage) re worked some menus. Here are some of the new vegetarian options we made.


Broccoli and cauliflower breaded and fried

Eggplant fritter

Fried tofu

Cauliflower steak
 

julifhy

Member
SanDiegoRedneck said:
During the covid shutdown we (catering company I manage) re worked some menus. Here are some of the new vegetarian options we made.


Broccoli and cauliflower breaded and fried

Eggplant fritter

Fried tofu

Cauliflower steak
That looks delicious!
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Member
julifhy said:
That looks delicious!
Thank you the cauliflower steak with coconut cream sauce was a huge win.

It was also super cool because I hadn't seen my mom in person for 2.5mo. And she is vegetarian. So I invited her to my club and suprised her with personal dinner.
 

Pariah

Member
I am a foodie, without a doubt, but I know where I came from and I still love my greasy, artery clogging fried food, especially breakfast!

This is one of our favorites. It's fried corn mush topped with soft scrambled eggs, shredded Troyer's Lightning Jack cheese and homemade sausage gravy.
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Member
Pariah said:
I am a foodie, without a doubt, but I know where I came from and I still love my greasy, artery clogging fried food, especially breakfast!

This is one of our favorites. It's fried corn mush topped with soft scrambled eggs, shredded Troyer's Lightning Jack cheese and homemade sausage gravy.
Nothing like scratch sausage gravy.
 

Pariah

Member
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Nothing like scratch sausage gravy.
I worked at a restaurant once and the "head chef" didn't know what a roux was. They used raw flour in their gravies. :yuck: Then again, the same person chewed me out when I was making 2/3 of a recipe which originally called for 1Tbsp of an ingredient and I grabbed a tsp and put in 2 tsp.

Sausage gravy. One of my few recipes where I just eyeball things and it never fails me.

1# spicy bulk breakfast sauce
3-4 Tbsp AP flour
3-4 cups milk
1-2 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tsp seasoning salt

Brown sausage until it's nice and crispy. Add 3-4Tbsp of all purpose flour into still sizzling sausage and cook for a minute or so until raw flour taste is gone. Stir in your milk. Add in coarse black pepper and seasoning salt to taste and heat until thickened. If you like your gravy a bit spicier, sprinkle a little crushed red peppers to the sausage as it's frying.
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Member
Pariah said:
I worked at a restaurant once and the "head chef" didn't know what a roux was. They used raw flour in their gravies. :yuck: Then again, the same person chewed me out when I was making 2/3 of a recipe which originally called for 1Tbsp of an ingredient and I grabbed a tsp and put in 2 tsp.

Sausage gravy. One of my few recipes where I just eyeball things and it never fails me.

1# spicy bulk breakfast sauce
3-4 Tbsp AP flour
3-4 cups milk
1-2 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tsp seasoning salt

Brown sausage until it's nice and crispy. Add 3-4Tbsp of all purpose flour into still sizzling sausage and cook for a minute or so until raw flour taste is gone. Stir in your milk. Add in coarse black pepper and seasoning salt to taste and heat until thickened. If you like your gravy a bit spicier, sprinkle a little crushed red peppers to the sausage as it's frying.
I've been cooking for years and my gravy still is nothing like my moms.

Such few ingredients yet can taste so different
 

Cold&warm

Member
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I've been cooking for years and my gravy still is nothing like my moms.

Such few ingredients yet can taste so different
You want to equal your mom? You must be kidding !
 

NBettas83

Member
I'm going to be cooking Pasta on Wednesday for when my cousins come over the next day.
 

Pariah

Member
Cold&warm said:
You want to equal your mom? You must be kidding !
I love my mom, but that woman can't cook worth a *PG-13+ word*.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom