Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake? - Page 2

Punkin

I love cooking and baking, it's the clean-up afterward that I don't particularly care for!

Ohio Mark

Lchi87, had to think of you while eating a slice of Shoo Fly Pie with my breakfast. Did you make the pie? If so, what's your verdict?

I love cooking and baking, it's the clean-up afterward that I don't particularly care for!

I hear you... but for me it's the only thing I'm any good at in the kitchen. (Though I'm told I do a good job of eating.) I'm not very good at cooking or baking, but I'm great at washing up afterwards.

stella1979

I hear you... but for me it's the only thing I'm any good at in the kitchen. (Though I'm told I do a good job of eating.) I'm not very good at cooking or baking, but I'm great at washing up afterwards.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm a proud cook and love to see the family scarf it down! Eating and then cleaning up is the best way to thank the cook. I'm with Punkin, love cooking, hate the clean-up.

Lchi87

Lchi87, had to think of you while eating a slice of Shoo Fly Pie with my breakfast. Did you make the pie? If so, what's your verdict?
I didnt make it yet turns out I had the wrong type of dough on hand and making my own paatry dough is something I am not 100% confident with LOL. I'm going to the store today though so I'll pick some up!!

Ohio Mark

I didnt make it yet turns out I had the wrong type of dough on hand and making my own paatry dough is something I am not 100% confident with LOL. I'm going to the store today though so I'll pick some up!!

Well, I hope it turns out well. (Says the guy who wouldn't know one kind of dough from another. Well... no, not true -- I recognize cookie-dough -- probably because I like to sneak some out of the bowl and eat it raw, to my daughter's disgust.)

Lchi87

Well, I hope it turns out well. (Says the guy who wouldn't know one kind of dough from another. Well... no, not true -- I recognize cookie-dough -- probably because I like to sneak some out of the bowl and eat it raw, to my daughter's disgust.)
LOL raw cookie dough is the best. I have a killer chocolate chip cookie recipe that almost never makes it to the oven because I keep eating the dough out of my mixing bowl... And snacking on leftover chocolate chips...

Ohio Mark

LOL raw cookie dough is the best. I have a killer chocolate chip cookie recipe that almost never makes it to the oven because I keep eating the dough out of my mixing bowl... And snacking on leftover chocolate chips...

My weakness is oatmeal-raisin-cranberry cookie dough or Snickerdoodle cookie dough... The daughter says it's an addiction. It is. I should probably seek help... but like some addicts, I'm not sure I WANT to stop!

Lchi87

Wish me luck Ohio Mark ....

be5c554de328d37ebe4e2d92814a519a.jpg

I just put this in the oven... I'm so nervous!!!

BHK3

My family thinks I have an unhealthy attachment to KAF. That is to say, if you work on the Baker's Hotline, we've likely been in touch before. I think your company made me the baker that I am. I made a brick of rye bread exactly once before I found you guys. It's been great ever since, and I'm making Caraway Rye today! Did you see my cherry pie? None other than KAF's Presidential Cherry Pie!

stella1979 That's awesome!!! I wasn't much of a baker when I started at KAF either. I don't work on the Baker's Hotline, but I work literally in the next room over from them. I sell bulk flour to bakeries and distributors. I also work just down the hall from the test kitchen, which is as amazing and terrible (for my waistline) as you'd imagine. :-D

Your cherry pie looks amazing! I'm a complete sucker for cherry pie. And lemon meringue pie. And chocolate anything. And any savory pastry/bread concoctions. And and and....

Lchi87

....does this look right? LOL.

7638091fc1d8e860536c739ce6e3f265.jpg

Now the hard part...I have to wait for it to cool.

EDIT: what the inside is like

fbeb6711837f15e51c4deb0a799aa990.jpg

Its really tasty! Especially with a dollop of whip cream.

Thanks Ohio Mark !

stella1979

- I am suitably jealous. Everyone there has been so kind to me and I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for that test kitchen. Wish I could fit bulk flour in my pantry!

- that Shoo Fly Pie looks yummy! Reminds me of eating pecan pie out of hand for breakfast when I visit the family in southern GA. This thread makes me hungry!

I'm excited for weekend baking! Just got a really nice diamond cut bundt (from KAF) for Mother's Day. I'll be trying it out with a Key Lime Cream Cake. Here's hoping I can get it out of my beautiful pan in one piece.

making my own paatry dough is something I am not 100% confident with LOL.

A little trick to feel more confident rolling your own pie dough. Works great for me!

51bgyGrH12L.jpg

Ohio Mark

Wish me luck Ohio Mark ....

be5c554de328d37ebe4e2d92814a519a.jpg

I just put this in the oven... I'm so nervous!!!

Luck is wished! But since I wasn't at work on Friday & this is Sat. morning, the pie is a done-deal. How did it turn out????

Dragones5150918

Wow, a thread I want to stay on!

My knowledge is all over the place when it comes to cooking and baking. My grandmother taught me depression style cooking. She showed me how to come up with meals with hardly anything, but also showed me how to cook over anything. I can pit cook, open fire cook, how to cook on a BBQ, on a stove top, and oven....And yes even to bake the same way. This really helped when we got hit by the ice storm in 01'. I fed the neighbors and the PD for days. Over 15 years ago, my son was placed on a Gluten Free diet, and at that time, there was hardly anything you could buy that was GF, like you can today. I had to mix my own products to make breads and cakes. There was no going to the store and picking up GF Flour Mix. I'm on a GF diet now, and it's so nice to walk into the store and buy GF Bisquick and make pancakes, and not have to pull out bags of Rice Flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, corn starch, Xanthen Gum, and so many other things to make pancakes. There is just 2 major tricks to baking GF. First, it's the liquid that is the give or take. Flour baking always says things like "5 to 6 cups of flour" for bread, where GF is "1 to 1 1/2 cups of water". Second, the internal temperature has to be 185°F, or the breads will fall. I lost so many cakes and breads to falling/sinking.

I dream someday to go to culinary school to finish off my home cook skills.

Lchi87

Luck is wished! But since I wasn't at work on Friday & this is Sat. morning, the pie is a done-deal. How did it turn out????
I think I messed it up honestly LOL. The crumble sank in to the filling during baking so instead of two layers (crumble on top, filling on the bottom), I just got one cake-like layer...it was still tasty though! I have to figure out how to keep that crumble layer afloat!

Nanologist

I think I messed it up honestly LOL. The crumble sank in to the filling during baking so instead of two layers (crumble on top, filling on the bottom), I just got one cake-like layer...it was still tasty though! I have to figure out how to keep that crumble layer afloat!

I would suggest adding the crumbs on top during the last few minutes and turning on the oven broiler to brown them. This way, the bread crumbs won't bake into the filling while still getting nice and golden brown. Just make sure to watch it during the broiling process because one minute too long and it can burn.

Or a trick we'd use in restaurants is to use a little propane torch to brown the top. I still keep one on hand for making crème brûlée at home. It's used to melt the sugar on top into that nice breakable layer.

Ohio Mark

I'm glad it was tasty. I have no idea what keeps the crumb layer afloat, but I know that despite a lifetime of baking them, my dear wife occasionally has one that does that, too. The silver lining is it's much easier to eat. (You don't up with crumbs all over.)

RedLoredAmazon

Here's the favorite dessert recipe in my house right now. I combined two recipes to make this one. If you don't like VERY tart lemon bars, then don't try this recipe!

Lemon bars

Crust:
2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
6 large eggs
zest and juice of 7 lemons (buy big lemons! not those puny little ones that come in a bag!)
powdered sugar

Cooking the crust:

Preheat oven 350 F. Grease a 9 by 13 pan.
Cut together butter, flour, sugar, and salt. Press into the pan and bake until golden. It takes me 20-30 minutes.

While crust is cooking, put the filling together. Whisk sugar, flour, and eggs till they are smooth. Then add the lemon zest and juice till everything is combined. Once the crust is done, pour the filling on the crust while the crust is still HOT. If you don't do that, it won't cook properly. It will take about 20 minutes give or take. Also, to know if it is done, just give the pan in the oven a little jiggle. If the filling moves like firm/set jello, it is done! Let it cool for an hour or two before topping it with the powdered sugar. It is also really tasty with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Punkin

Cranberry orange plum cake.

Attachments

• IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 133

max h

I make my own Salsa, it's getting time to make a batch. Everybody that has tried it so far love it. Here's what you need

1-2 Jalapeno Peppers
3 Large Anaheim
1 Bunch of Cilantro
Cumin
Salt and Pepper
Lime Juice
3 Ripe Tomatoes
1 Large Red/Purple Onion
Some Olive Oil

With the peppers go a head and take the seeds and the white veins out from the center. Dice the Jalapeno's and combine them with the cilantro in a food processor with some olive oil and lime juice and chop it until the the leaves are smallish in size. Dump it in the dish with around a tablespoon of cumin, and a table spoon of a salt and pepper mix. Dice the AnaheI'm peppers and add to the bowl with more lime juice. Dice the onion into fine pieces, the tomatoes are diced to about medium size pieces and add to the bowl. Mix well, I end up mixing every time I add an ingredient. Taste for flavor and salt, pepper, cumin as needed. If more juice is needed add some more lime juice. Refrigerate over night so all the flavors get a good mix. The salsa will keep about a week in the refrigerator, although it normally doesn't last that long in the house.

max h

I just remembered that I also use oregano and sage with the salsa maybe a teaspoon or so. I normally just add the extra spices after a taste test or too. Recipes are just a go by for me.

Punkin

Punkin I think we need that recipe!
Actually it's from the back of a muffin mix. I'll attach a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2506.JPG
    IMG_2506.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2507.JPG
    IMG_2507.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 133

max h

Actually it's from the back of a muffin mix. I'll attach a photo.

We don't have that brand down here, but the first thing I thought of seeing the box front was Crusty the Clown from the Simpsons.

Something I tried tonight for dinner since my girlfriend has a low salt diet. Almost twice baked potatoes and steak. Salt is a great flavor enhancer as well as fat. So for the potatoes I took 2 bakers and nuked them in the microwave in a Walmart plastic bag for about 9 minutes and preheated the oven to 375. When they are done place them on a baking pan cut them down the middle. Break up the inside like you would with a normal baked potato for butter and sour cream. Place them in the oven to get some browning on the potato, once slightly browned add some fresh rosemary leaves top with shredded cheese and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes. During this whole time in the oven I had some garlic cloves wrapped in foil with olive oil roasting too. Once the cheese is melted smear the roasted garlic on top and add sour cream.

stella1979

That potato sounds delicious max h. We went full on flavor tonight with bacon bbq cheeseburgers with caramelized onions on homemade sesame seed buns. It was scrumptious. I'd be happy to share the bun recipe if anyone is interested.

James17

That potato sounds delicious max h. We went full on flavor tonight with bacon bbq cheeseburgers with caramelized onions on homemade sesame seed buns. It was scrumptious. I'd be happy to share the bun recipe if anyone is interested.
Yes please

AngelTheGypsy

Punkin the Krusteaz honey wheat pancake mix is really good too!

max h have you checked different grocery stores? I always have to store hop to find all my favorite brands, nobody carries everything I like, not even Walmart , which I avoid if at all possible!

adsm08

One of my personal favorites is chipolte chicken tacos.

Cook diced chicken in a frying pan. Then stir in a chipolte dressing of your choice.

Take a glass pan and cover the bottom with a green tomato sauce of your choice.

Wrap the cooked chicken in soft taco shells and place them in the pan. Cover in taco blend shredded cheese and put in the oven at 350 until the cheese is melted.

I like to cover it with Tony's Italian Seasoning, but I put that stuff on everything.

max h

AngelTheGypsy we only have either Walmart or Winn Dixie close by the house. I only go to the Publix if I'm in that area of town.

stella1979 the potato I just kinda made up on the run, it also goes great with left over Fajita or Taco meat to make stuffed potato's.

I did cook at several restaurants when I was younger prior to the Navy.

stella1979

Well thanks James17 I make a lot of yeast breads but this is perhaps my favorite dough to work with. It makes a soft, tasty and beautiful bun and really works great for cinnamon rolls.

Rich Bun Dough Recipe - you can shape this dough however you like. I use it to make slider rolls, burger buns. hot dog buns, dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls. Instructions included are for burger buns.

1 cup slightly warm (not hot!) water
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast (I like SAF brand)
1 whole egg, at room temp.
1 egg yolk, at room temp. (reserve the egg white in the refrigerator, you will use it later as a wash before topping with sesame seeds)
3 Tablespoons soft butter
3.5 - 4 cups AP Flour, (this is 420-480 grams of flour, it is best to measure flour by weight. Otherwise, please be sure to sprinkle it into your measuring cup before leveling, to ensure that the flour is not 'packed' in the cup.)
1 teaspoon salt

This is probably quicker in a stand mixer, but it can easily be brought together by hand as well.

Add warm water, sugar and yeast to a large bowl and stir. If you are unsure if your yeast is working, allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes to bloom. If it foams up you're good to go. Add the whole egg and egg yolk and stir slightly to break up the eggs. Add softened butter, then 3.5 cups flour. Sprinkle the salt over the flour before mixing. Bring the dough together either in a mixer or with a wooden spoon. You are looking for everything to come together into a shaggy, slightly sticky dough.

At this point, you can add up to 1/2 cup more flour if your dough is too sticky to knead. Once the dough is workable, knead for 7 minutes. If you are kneading by hand, do so on a lightly greased counter with lightly greased hands. This is a rich dough and we do not want to work in too much additional flour, which will make it drier than intended. When you are done kneading you should have a soft, silky smooth ball of dough.

Place it in a large greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to rise until doubled, usually about 45-60 minutes at room temp. Afterwards, gently deflate the dough and separate into 8 - 12 balls, depending on how big you want them. A scale comes in handy here too. Flatten the dough balls into rounds about 3-4 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. Place onto a parchment lined sheet pan, leaving about 1.5 inches between. Allow to rise until doubled again and preheat your oven to 350°F in the meantime.

Take the reserved egg white and beat it with 1 tablespoon of water to make a wash. Lightly brush this over the rolls and top with seeds of choice. Bake for 15 minutes for 12 smaller rolls, or up to 20 minutes for 8 large rolls. You'll know they are done when the are golden brown.

20170604_162526.jpg Here's tonight's hamburger and hot dog buns. They aren't anything fancy to look at but it makes a huge difference in the sandwiches. You'll want homemade all the time if you try this. Sorry for the double post, I couldn't edit to add a pic for some reason.

Discusluv

Just made a Cherry Pie tonight. Please don't look at the burnt edges
fa66097a9fda957e419fb952158019f4.jpg

Brian Rodgers

I have been baking my own cookies for some time. The latest incarnation is oatmeal, sesame seed and pumpkin seed made with our own honey.

Brians-cookies-June-4th-2017.jpg
I used the same recipe to simultaneously bake granola.

Bruxes and Bubbles

Tonight's dinner.

d106040b6582cd04010b97614b451246.jpg
23820ba1b44ed55c2e5ca5567f5fa5a3.jpg

Fashooga

Cooking is like part of the Chinese DNA in my family, along with gambling. I grew up in a Chinese restaurant as did my wife.

If you can't cook after being in a Chinese restaurant most of your life then something is wrong with you (my brother).

Even though were not part of the restaurant business anymore we still cook foods that we grew up with, yes, even fish.

Sea Cucumber anybody?

stella1979

Just made a Cherry Pie tonight. Please don't look at the burnt edges
fa66097a9fda957e419fb952158019f4.jpg

Made a yummy chicken pot pie the other night and forgot to take a picture. I never make a pie without this thing though. It's cheap and I haven't had burnt edges since I got it.

Edit: Photo removed because I realized I was breaking the rules. I use a silicone pie crust shield, you can pick one up on Amazon for about $7.

Lchi87

Tonight I made a grilled skirt steak with chimichurrI sauce and roasted brussel sprouts.

c8102dab567580e8e415dd4b08473270.jpg

stella1979

Oooh, yum. I made sprout's tonight too but they were, ahem... of the frozen variety. Still yummy with a little butter and salt.

I'll have some good ones next week, got the hubby's birthday and Father's Day 3 days apart. I'll be making all kinds of good stuff, hope I remember the photos.

Lchi87

Oooh, yum. I made sprout's tonight too but they were, ahem... of the frozen variety. Still yummy with a little butter and salt.

I'll have some good ones next week, got the hubby's birthday and Father's Day 3 days apart. I'll be making all kinds of good stuff, hope I remember the photos.
I love frozen veggies and always have a variety onhand for when I'm feeling lazy The fishies always get a bit of whatever I make too lol. Please remember to take photos of your feast!

stella1979

OK Bakers, who makes cakes? I do... I finally upgraded my pans to Fat Daddio's about 6 months ago. I love them. As a result, I now want to make cakes over 10" across after being frosted. I also like to do 3 layers, making the finished cake quite tall as well. I've made cakes for years and have always safely carried them to family events in my standard round cake carrier. I can't seem to find anything that will safely cover these bigger cakes for refrigeration or transport.

Any ideas? Must I use disposable baker's boxes?

Dealing with this at last holiday season was a huge pain in the rear.

BHK3

I can't seem to find anything that will safely cover these bigger cakes for refrigeration or transport.

This is what I use:

You can carry 24 cupcakes or two pies or smaller cakes. And I just measure mine and, if you take the divider, out you can easily fit a 9" diameter cake that is 8" tall. Would something like that work?

stella1979

I saw that... sorry, but no, my cakes are 10 inches across before frosting, over 11 inches after. I love working with larger layers but it has presented a problem. Thanks though.

BHK3

I saw that... sorry, but no, my cakes are 10 inches across before frosting, over 11 inches after. I love working with larger layers but it has presented a problem. Thanks though.

How about this one?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Mike