Anyone heard of "Yellow Algae Eaters"?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of these? How big do they grow? What size tank do they need?

In the store they were just labled "Yellow Algae Eaters - Medium" next to the zebra danios that were labled "Large". Do you think this suggests that they are quite small as I know danios are not very big?

thanks

Gwenz

P.S. - they looked more Orange than Yellow.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe Isabella has one. I have heard they can get aggressive as they get older and get to about 4 or 5 inches. As for the size marked , they probably had larger algae eaters for a different price and smaller danios for a different price.
Carol

JP

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is not a very suitable addition to the home aquarium. For starters, it does not stay small. Although it is usually about the size of the Siamese algae eater when sold, it will grow to about a foot long in the wild. Most home specimens never get larger than six inches. Many more are stunted and experience poor health and high susceptibility to illness due to improper housing.

CAE's do not continue to eat algae as they mature. Some will not even eat algae tabs. They do not eat diatoms/brown algae. Most prefer meatier foods like blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. CAE's also like to eat the "slime coats" of other fish. If you have weaker or sick fish in the tank with it, it will attempt to latch on to the side of the fish to eat the slime coat. This is bad, and usually results in the death of the fish it is eating. Some CAE's have been known to "attack" perfectly healthy fish with wide body profiles, such as the discus or the angelfish. If your intent is to get a fish that controls algae in your tank, buying a Chinese algae eater will not help you for very long.

It should not be maintained in groups. It is highly territorial, and will fight with others of it's kind if they enter it's established territory. Putting more than one in a home aquarium is simply not a good idea. This fish becomes more aggressive as it grows and ages. The larger the specimen, the grumpier it is.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK thanks everyone.

Anyone have any ideas on what other small fish that eat algae I could put in my 7.5gal with 4 guppies?
(except otos - can't find any around here and nobody has heard of them either so can't have them  :-\ )

Thanks

Gwenz

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Other than Otos your tank is a bit small for other algae eaters. Sorry
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could get snails.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One snail would probably be your best bet but be sure to ask if it is one that will multiply on its own or needs a mate. You don't want a snail explosion.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you're talking about the Chinese Algae Eater, yes, I have this one. While I don't see mine sucking on my fish's slime coating, they are known to do this. They are also known to grow more aggressive with time. While JP says they won't eat a lot of algae, mine eats ALL algae EXCEPT black brush algae. I've had this algae eater for OVER 2 years now and I have NEVER had a problem with algae in this tank. He is so effective at cleaning algae that I often put him in my 10 gallon tank (full of algae) for a night or two, and after that time, the tank is completely cleaned! I can't complain about him, even though he is generally known for many bad things. Besides, he DOES eat algae tabs and any flakes that fall to the bottom. He may eat brine shrimp, but whenever he finds bloodworms on the bottom, he spits them out. Now, these algae eaters are said to grow to about 10 inches, but this applies to a situation when they live in a natural habitat. In aquaria, they grow much smaller - unless one's aquarium is really big. My Chinese Algae Eater is about 5 - 6 inches long. Perhaps he is stunted, but he has never appeared sick to me - he looks very lively and well. I also believe that the aggression in this type of algae eater results from not enough space and poor diet. I feed my algae eater well, and while a 30 gallon tank is not that large, it's also not as small as a 10 gallon tank is. And most of the times, beginners usually get a small tank. On top of that, they're often sold fish that grow large and need large tanks - without the store staff telling the inexperienced beginners about it. No wonder that later various fish get an opinion for being "bad". But in reality, it is people's fault - we often fail to research fish before buying them and therefore we don't know how to provide the fish with appropriate conditions for it to be healthy. Going back to the Chinese Algae Eater, from my personal experience, I believe that if it will be provided with enough space and good diet, it will be a very good algae eater (with the exception of black brush algae) that won't be that aggressive either. Many people may confuse this algae eater's very fast swimming with "aggressiveness". So, unless you have a larger tank and are able to provide it with a good diet, don't get this algae eater.

P.S. I've never even once (during the time of over 2 years) had to use any "cleaning magnets" and "algae scrapers" in my 30 gallon tank.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, they do eat algae, but as they grow older, they eat much less algae and become more aggressive and territorial as they grow older. I never had any Chinese Algae Eaters and never had any experience with them so I don't know if it is true. I am looking foward to hear about someone's personal experience with them so that I can add that to my personal profile!!!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I don't think my mum would be too pleased if I got a snail. She doesn't like snails much. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Gwenz

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
!!!!! She doesn't like snails!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know!! I like them, but mum doesn't like them much. Maybe I could try and talk her round... ;D

Gwenz

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just say that tanks with snails are a lot better and she says okay.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
;D

Anyone know where I could get snails if I decide to get one?

Never seen them in any of my lfs'. :-\

Thanks

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom