ANYONE HEARD OF THESE?

DAWNA

Reaction score
I have a pair of Sailfin Dalmation Mollies. I adopted a lemon Swordtail Molly female. Today she gave birth to a whole herd of yellow & black Mollies, very pretty. Is this a common mix? I have never seen Golden, Sailfin, Swordtail, Dalmation Mollies before. I also have a brassy colored Lyretail Molly female with the same Sailfin, Dalmation Molly, should I expect similar results? Thanks

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds interesting. I think you will be having babies from both females for quite awhile!

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
i had a dalmation molly that gave birth to 16 babies all looked like her except one was peeer black!
-tamara

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The sailfin mollys are rather pretty.They are a little different from regular mollys although they will interbreed. Sailfins are Poecilia Velifera and were originally found in Central America and Mexico and can get 3-1/2 to 4 inches in ideal conditions.
Regular Mollys are Poecilia Sphenops and were originally found in North America and South America from Texas to columbia. and so were one of our native fishes. They can get to 3 inches in ideal conditions.
sorry for the rambling Just thought it is interesting that they are different, usually the larger fins in most fish are recessive genes and they have been bred until it is a fixed feature (like guppys)
carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom