15 Gallon Tank Anyone heard of these fish??

Anixandria

Hi! I have a 15 gallon that just finished it’s cycle a week or so ago. I went to Petco yesterday to grab dog food and ended up looking at the fish... so naturally I came home with 4 new babies. My only concern is... I’ve never heard of this type of tetra before. They’re called Von Rio Tetras and they’re LOVELY (They look like a sunset!!!). But I’m a bit concerned: is there any special care required for these fish? Or do I treat them like normal tetras? Anyone ever heard of/ had these fish before?

Attachments

• 1E16499B-747E-4224-855F-AD3C262F8F01.jpeg
    1E16499B-747E-4224-855F-AD3C262F8F01.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 49
  • D5D94454-8AA0-4426-93A3-74FC9B51BBA7.jpeg
    D5D94454-8AA0-4426-93A3-74FC9B51BBA7.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 50

MacZ

Von Rios are in the hobby since ages. The original species was described in 1924. You have a tankbred variety called "Orange von Rio".

Flame tetra - Wikipedia

Anyhow, I'd actually keep them in a 20 long, soft water, low pH. They tend to just stay in position and bicker a lot as long as the tank is too small. Structure like driftwood, branches and plants helps a lot, but will never make the bickering go away completely.

Upvote 0

Anixandria

Oh! Are they just Flame tetras? The Petco person tried to convince me that they were more rare than that. Which is silly because I was already in love with them before she tried to push them on me lol. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

MacZ

Yes, just Hyphessobrycon flammeus in a tankbred colour variety.

Upvote 0

PerfectSatyr683

Yep they are flame tetras

Upvote 0

CichlidGuy21

Yeah they are just normal flame tetras. One time they gave my entire tank a disease and everything died.

Upvote 0

Anixandria

Update: they are so happy in their tank that two of them started spawning... do I have to worry about babies or will they eat the eggs like other tetras do?

Upvote 0

MacZ

100% sure they're spawning?

And no, maybe 1-2 will make it max.

Upvote 0

Anixandria

Yup, 100% sure. I’m torn on whether I want babies or not though. Might just let them figure it out naturally. Hoping they eat most but if a few survive I guess I’ll deal with that problem when it happens.

Upvote 0

MacZ

You will have to let them sort it out themselves. You can only do something in a dedicated breeding tank.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

We have had 10 in a heavily stocked and planted 55 for about 1.5 years ( started with 12 2 passes ) and they get along well with everyone and they even group and play around with the 4 serpae we have left.. fun to watch especially during frozen bloodworm feeding which also goes for most every fish that eat them! They would probably enjoy a bit longer tank and a few more to add to their shoal if possible down the line.. just suggesting not judging

Upvote 0

MacZ

We have had 10 in a heavily stocked and planted 55 for about 1.5 years ( started with 12 2 passes ) and they get along well with everyone and they even group and play around with the 4 serpae we have left.. fun to watch especially during frozen bloodworm feeding which also goes for most every fish that eat them! They would probably enjoy a bit longer tank and a few more to add to their shoal if possible down the line.. just suggesting not judging

Wouldn't stock up the shoal in a 15 gallon or a 20 gallon for that matter. In a 35+ though... definitely.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Wouldn't stock up the shoal in a 15 gallon or a 20 gallon for that matter. In a 35+ though... definitely.
I don't always give the best stocking ideas but thats probably cause all our fish do well in all the overstocked tanks we have.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I don't always give the best stocking ideas but thats probably cause all our fish do well in all the overstocked tanks we have.

Maybe because of the tons of plants you are known for.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Maybe because of the tons of plants you are known for.
Hahah thanks I appreciate the “plug” and just for the record if anyone is interested in plants I have a lot for sale great quality great quantity at a great price

Upvote 0

Anixandria

Oh another update: I added my halfmoon king betta to the tank with them... I figured they were big enough to not get eaten so it’ll work. Good news- he has no interest in them! Bad news- he had no interest in them because he’s terrified of them... he’s like 6 inches long and the biggest wimp I’ve ever met lol

Upvote 0

SomyaValecha

Oh another update: I added my halfmoon king betta to the tank with them... I figured they were big enough to not get eaten so it’ll work. Good news- he has no interest in them! Bad news- he had no interest in them because he’s terrified of them... he’s like 6 inches long and the biggest wimp I’ve ever met lol
I would make sure the tetras aren’t nipping at the bettas fins, once I kept my betta with glofish tetras and they kept nipping at his fins :/

Upvote 0

Anixandria

Nope, no nipping. The tetras just swim around with each other- completely ignoring the betta.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • AverageAquarist22
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
AverageAquarist22
  • Question
15 Gallon Tank Stocking Help?
Replies
Views