Anyone Hear Of A Myst. Snail Getting Worms? Sos

K8lin

Member
so my snail wasn't feeling well, moving very rarely. still alive tho. I brushed him off gently and put him in a small hosp tank with the water low so he could still use his snorkel and I could monitor him. he started moving around again and I gave him baby spinach but now he's back to one spot and
today I saw a bunch of worms in the tank. when he was in my previous tank I had seen two.
I haven't seen any worms in the tank he was in since he left.
now there's a bunch of these in the hospital tank.
can anyone help?
 

Skavatar

Member
i've heard of snails being intermediate carriers of parasites that eventually infect fish.
 

Redshark1

Member
Yes, snails have their parasites too and as said some of these parasites, but not all, use the snail as an intermediate host before moving on to another host which may be various vertebrates including humans (though the latter is unlikely unless raw snails are eaten, water plants are eaten or the aquarium water is drunk!).

Google parasites of the Apple Snail.
 

richiep

Member
Found this video don't know if they are the same
 
  • Thread Starter

K8lin

Member
richie.p said:
Found this video don't know if they are the same
ewww that's so gross. they look different from those though!
 
  • Thread Starter

K8lin

Member
Skavatar said:
i've heard of snails being intermediate carriers of parasites that eventually infect fish.
I really hope that didn't happen. I had him in a quarantine tank with some nerites for 3 months before moving them to other tanks. Nothing seenwith the nerites. I've had him for 6 months so it's surprising.
 
  • Thread Starter

K8lin

Member
Redshark1 said:
Yes, snails have their parasites too and as said some of these parasites, but not all, use the snail as an intermediate host before moving on to another host which may be various vertebrates including humans (though the latter is unlikely unless raw snails are eaten, water plants are eaten or the aquarium water is drunk!).

Google parasites of the Apple Snail.
jeese that's so creepy. I'll be sure to be careful not to spread them.
 
  • Thread Starter

K8lin

Member
Redshark1 said:
Yes, snails have their parasites too and as said some of these parasites, but not all, use the snail as an intermediate host before moving on to another host which may be various vertebrates including humans (though the latter is unlikely unless raw snails are eaten, water plants are eaten or the aquarium water is drunk!).

Google parasites of the Apple Snail.
the only thing I've seen close is this post:
Worms On My Snail Eggs | Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates 377315

but nothing about how to get rid of them
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom