Anyone have trouble with pest snails eating Anubias? Question 

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have pest snails (bladder, I think) that came free with my fish:arghh:, I have been pulling them out with each water change to control the population. Recently, I decided to try a planted tank and put drift wood with 3 small tissue culture Anubais in the tank. The plants were doing well for a few days, even getting new leaves, then I noticed the snails climbing on the plants and wood. The next morning all the leaves were eaten away, down to just stems. There is also small, tissue culture Cardinal plant in the tank, which haven't touched. My question is do snails eat Anubias? I have a lovely, larger Anubias that is currently in QT along with an Amazon Sword, Java Ferns and moss balls. I'm now questioning whether I should add them to the tank or not. I don't just want them to become snail food. I have 2 Nerites that haven't touched the new plants, it's just the little guys earning their "pest" title.
Thanks,
LG

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Never happened to me.

Are the snails getting enough food?

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know- I drop in an algae wafer or veggie wafer once or twice a week otherwise they eat off the sides of the tank and silk plants.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Ladyglo! You said the snails came with the fish? How's that?
The Nerites are pretty good at eating algae, malaysian trumpet snails are fine for aerating the substrate, bladder snails are a bit of a nuisance and ramshorns are unsightly. Other than that, no one will eat Anubias.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's likely the snails are eating the dying growth, since tissue cultures are grown out of water. Usually this emersed growth dies back, and submerge growth begins to grow a couple of days after.

I wouldnt worry too much tbh. It's very rare for the common snails found in the hobby to eat anubias.

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aniroc said:
You said the snails came with the fish? How's that?
I don't know. It was a new tank and the only thing in it was the decor, which was purchased from the shelves. A short time after I added the fish, I noticed what appear to be bladder snails. The only thing I can think is that the snails were a BOGO with purchase of fish:D. While I didn't notice anything the day I purchased the fish, I have since seen them in the store tanks. The snails have never bothered anything before, just been, as you said, "a nuisance"but they were all over those premie Anubias.

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aussieJJDude said:
wouldnt worry too much tbh. It's very rare for the common snails found in the hobby to eat anubias.
Thanks, the plants in quarantine are much larger. I'll put them in the tank when they are ready, and hope for the best. The Anubias is my favorite, I would hate not to be able to grow any.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Very few if any "pest snails" eat live plants at all. I have dozens of assorted ramshorns, MTS, and pond snails growing in a densely planted tank, and they haven't eaten a single plant in there, not even the more tender leaves of bonsai rotala. They won't go after live plants even after several days of no feeding, whereas they'll swarm any fish food or blanched veggies.

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know, All the books and references say the same thing. Unfortunately, my snails don't read and ate the plants in front of my eyes, as I tried to pick them off:confused:

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's very likely they resting algae off the leaves, which may of been confused for plant?

I wouldn't worry a whole lot, and just let the rhizome grow some more leaves. As long as rhizome stays green, no need to worry.

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so glad you saw something!! I was going to take them out and start over this afternoon. Now, I'll wait and see what happens. Thanks

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As said the plants were grown emersed and the snails were eating the dead leaves. I too have pest snails in planted tanks and have never seen them eat healthy leaves. Are the rhizomes above the substrate? Do you have a pic of the plants?

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, they were on drift wood. There is nothing to take a picture of just some roots and rhizomes on a log, lol.

aquanerd14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have pond snails in with nymphea rubra, anubias barteria, and amazon swords. Those snails will only eat dead or dying plants.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at that pic I don’t see the rhizome. Also are those roots or what’s left of stems. Any chance of a pic of the rhizome? Did you buy the anubias online?

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ladyglo said:
I have pest snails (bladder, I think) that came free with my fish:arghh:, I have been pulling them out with each water change to control the population. Recently, I decided to try a planted tank and put drift wood with 3 small tissue culture Anubais in the tank. The plants were doing well for a few days, even getting new leaves, then I noticed the snails climbing on the plants and wood. The next morning all the leaves were eaten away, down to just stems. There is also small, tissue culture Cardinal plant in the tank, which haven't touched. My question is do snails eat Anubias? I have a lovely, larger Anubias that is currently in QT along with an Amazon Sword, Java Ferns and moss balls. I'm now questioning whether I should add them to the tank or not. I don't just want them to become snail food. I have 2 Nerites that haven't touched the new plants, it's just the little guys earning their "pest" title.
Thanks,
LG
I never noticed the pest snails eating the Anubias, but they certainly enjoyed the Amazon swords. I set up traps and they never went near them, but kept munching the swords and the tiny ones loved to hang out in the giant hairgrass, probably eating it too. Or maybe that's where the eggs hatched. Jerks. I took care of them by dismantling the tank and starting over. I even threw out the gravel and filter. It makes no sense to have them demolish plants. However, I'm in-fish cycling, so it's a dangerous road the fish and I are traveling. I'll work day and night to make sure they're healthy though. I took all the plants and am currently treating them with copper sulfate in a spare 10 gallon. My Trapdoor and Mystery snails never touched the plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom