Anyone Have Ram cichlids? - Page 2

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dano if you decide to get more Rams be sure to get 2 females for each male or they will fight and harass each other.
Carol

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
vin said:
You want to hear a "croaker", catch a Sea Robin......They croak like bullfrogs. ;D
Are Sea Robins really ugly, brown, with spinesand ferocious litle teeth? if they are I have caught 3-4 in one day in Florida. (I let them all go, they were all different too!) They croakedreally loud and like evry 5 seconds...I was surprised.
when I postedthis:
Emma said:
wierd I didn't know fish could make noise...
I forgot about those guys

Maida_gc

Reaction score
THOSE PEOPLE WITH RAMS:

How did you introduce your rams to your tank? What was your PH level when you did, or what is it now.

I have recenlty read a lot of articles saying this could be a huge factor in why a lot of people lose rams within days of introducing them to the tank. I will most likly be adding them by the end of Feb and would like info. Anything helps.

Also just more stories on how many you have, what fish you have them with, sexing, their temperment/quirks would be greatly appriciated too. They're a sweet fish that requires a lot of attention early on and any help for a newbie is great! Thanks in advance.

OP
D

dano569

Reaction score
I introduced them by floating for 15 minutes.my ph is 7.8.I have mine with dwarf gouramis,blue gouramis,an opaline gourami,a pearl gourami,pictus cats,raphael cats,dojo loaches,and red tail botias.my tank stays about 76 or77 degrees.the only thing I know about sexing them is the dorsal fin is more pointed on the male.I hope that helps some. ;D
one more thing,I have read they have to have clean water.

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
Emma said:
vin said:
You want to hear a "croaker", catch a Sea Robin......They croak like bullfrogs. ;D
Are Sea Robins really ugly, brown, with spinesand ferocious litle teeth? if they are I have caught 3-4 in one day in Florida. (I let them all go, they were all different too!) They croakedreally loud and like evry 5 seconds...I was surprised.
when I postedthis:
Emma said:
wierd I didn't know fish could make noise...
I forgot about those guys
Yes, Sea Robins are ugly, spiney and look like they have wings rather than pectoral fins. They've got a reddish brown color and often have patches or splotches of other colors that resemble a saddle.....They're generally found in New England, but can range as far south as the Carolinas. What you may have caught is a monkfish or maybe a sea robin.

Time2Go

Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm new to this site and I'm a beginner at fish

Well to start off with let me tell you wat fish n tank I got. I have a 18 lt tank (small) with everythings well seted up that's including, water, ph level, live plants. I have a pair of blue rams, a group of 4 pestilla tetras, and 2 bristlenosed catfish. Hehe I know u all think is too small for that size of tank to be able to fit in those fish. Well I just had my fish last 2 weeks, they fish inside the tank seem to be doing well. When I purchase my fish I didn't know wat ph they need, so I just make it neutral. After I purchased my fish, I realised that they are all prefer to live in neutral or acidic water....luckiy me. Plus they all live in soft water....but I medium water on sometime, n I know it won't hurt my fish or anythings according to my research. Ok back to the topic, My pair of ram is doing perfectly well with my school of pestella tretras, the male seem to be more aggressive than the female. The only problem I had is that my tretras sometime afraid of the ram even they don't go after them. Maybe I think is the nature of tretra, they r shy fish n sometime hide behind the plants when I walk toward my tank. thx guys

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore Time2Go!! Stop in at the welcome forum and let us welcome you properly
Dano I have had Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams before but was in the lfs last week and he had some thing called a Ruby Ram. it was really pretty. It was bigger than the Blue Rams, about the size of Bolivian Rams but all if it's fins were red. a friend said he thought it was probably Colombian Rams.
So many fish so little space for more tanks lol
Carol

OP
D

dano569

Reaction score
yeah I need bigger tanks!!!! both my rams died.they were sick when I got them,so I guess that's what happened.

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another way to tell the sex of a RAM prior to checking the dorsal fin is to look at their black spot they have on their bodies, the males will be toally black whilst the female will have blue or light coloured spots on their black spot area

Hope this has helped those who wanted to know

New Threads