Anyone Have Experience With These Filters? Question

1. littlesnete

littlesnete Valued Member Member

My budget for filtration for my 300 gallon stock tank pond is about $150. I'll probably upgrade in the future, but for now I need to get some fish from indoors into an outdoor pond and this is all I can afford.

I found some filters on Amazon with about 70-80% 5 star reviews, for pretty cheap (less than $100). Does anyone have experience with these filters?

Best Choice Products 4000 Liter Pressure Bio Filter with Uv Sterilizer Light Koi, 13W

Grech CPF-2500 Pond Bio Pressure Filter UVC 13-watt Up to 1600 Gallons

2. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet Well Known Member Member

I've no experience with those two brands, but they're nothing more than cheap Chinese imitations of high-end filters like the Fluval FX series and pond pump systems.

As with anything in this, or any other hobby, you get what you pay for; Chinese stuff ain't good.

3. OP
    OP
    littlesnete

How do you know they're chinese imitations? Just wondering. The reviews are all outstanding, except for a few 1 stars, but they all sound like user errors to me, lol.

4. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet Well Known Member Member

Because they're made in China and they look identical to the name brands - China don't respect intellectual property rights...

What more do I need to know other than it looks like a rip-off, it's priced as a rip-off, and it's made in China?

5. OP
    OP
    littlesnete

Nothing at all, I was just genuinely curious and wanted tips on how to spot it in the future. I'm new to all of this so I couldn't see if they were identical to other name brands - I don't know what name brands look like. :p

6. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Gosh, I can't even remember the name of my pond filter right now but I bought it at Lowe's and so far, so good. Only been up and running a couple of months but the water is crystal clear. If I quite thinking about it, the name will probably come to me. It could be and probably is a cheap Japanese one too.

7. BluefishEly

BluefishEly New Member Member

Since I got back into the hobby I discovered a new ugliness in the industry. Cheap knock offs. Literally millions of them. As my fever increased for more tanks, I too was taken in by the low prices and ease of Amazon. I too bought some serious junk. There are some affordable gems out there but few and far between. It has got to the point where I am building my own, modifying, or biting the bullet and buying a lot smarter. I looked the items you mentioned for example. You’ll notice under “other customers bought” a number of filters that look exactly the same all with different badges. That is to stay away from. The above author is correct. A lot of other countries pay no attention to patent and copywrite laws. They take a good popular design, make it as cheaply as possible with no thought of the end user. Bad motors, cheap fittings and my favorite “DOA”. Take your time. Ask lots of questions here. Above all, if you find what looking for and it’s $100s cheaper than the real deal, turn the other way. Good luck. Keep an eye on my pond build.

8. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

These types of filters really aren't complex and there's no reason for the sky high pricing of the bigger names. The biggest failures are going to be hoses and o rings. The relatively small electric pumps used are not expensive. I wouldn't trust the uv sterilizer but in all honesty, it's just a bulb. I would take it out since water will be going too fast for that to do much for you. Imho a sterilizer belongs in line on it's own anyway.