Question Anyone Have Experience With Emperor Tetras (nematobycon Palemeri)

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
That seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me!
I'd say they are good fish to add some bling and color to a community tank. From my experience, they were peaceful additions but they were lacking in personality. They didn't really say ''hello'' when I walked up like my angels or gold barbs. They mostly just swam around in a school. But don't get me wrong, mine were A+ citizens as they didn't nip, chase, or quarrel.

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me!
I'd say they are good fish to add some bling and color to a community tank. From my experience, they were peaceful additions but they were lacking in personality. They didn't really say ''hello'' when I walked up like my angels or gold barbs. They mostly just swam around in a school. But don't get me wrong, mine were A+ citizens as they didn't nip, chase, or quarrel.
Ok, swimming around in a school is what I'm looking for. I need a little bit bigger fish that are a bit more noticeable and a little bit "blingy". BTW, Nano refers to the size of the fishes' mouth - that helps me find suitable tank companions instead of providing a banquet for the wrong sized new-comers. I have to keep reminding myself that I can't have an angel :-(

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, swimming around in a school is what I'm looking for. I need a little bit bigger fish that are a bit more noticeable and a little bit "blingy". BTW, Nano refers to the size of the fishes' mouth - that helps me find suitable tank companions instead of providing a banquet for the wrong sized new-comers. I have to keep reminding myself that I can't have an angel :-(
Ah, that makes much more sense. I hadn't heard that use of the word before. That's a very interesting idea, I think it'd be fun to try sometime...

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had some back in the day. I'd honestly consider them to be one of the more personable of the tetras, while they wont gr you, mature males make an interesting tank by displaying and quarrelling with eachother (this is harmless!). They certainly add a bit of 'tude to the tank, that's for sure.

They can be pretty nippy with fish with longer fins. I found them to be pretty mouthy devils to my angels, so got rid of them. Most people dont find it to be an issue however.

(Mine also bred without much issue, a well planted aquarium and fry will easily result. My four soon increased to 6 after a year, and would have increased if I didn't rehome! The also come in a couple of colour variations, such as a solid 'black' which have striking blue eyes and a nice golden form. Believe they also have an albino form too.

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had some back in the day. I'd honestly consider them to be one of the more personable of the tetras, while they wont gr you, mature males make an interesting tank by displaying and quarrelling with eachother (this is harmless!). They certainly add a bit of 'tude to the tank, that's for sure.

They can be pretty nippy with fish with longer fins. I found them to be pretty mouthy devils to my angels, so got rid of them. Most people dont find it to be an issue however.

(Mine also bred without much issue, a well planted aquarium and fry will easily result. My four soon increased to 6 after a year, and would have increased if I didn't rehome! The also come in a couple of colour variations, such as a solid 'black' which have striking blue eyes and a nice golden form. Believe they also have an albino form too.

This is really good info! It seems like they're kind of an "old-fashioned" fish - people have kept them, but they don't keep them now - but it sounds like they have just what I'm looking for.
On a side note, I have a couple of "must-have" species, and I'm frankly under-whelmed. So, I've begun to think about what I want in a fish.I want a bit of 'tude, but not nippy and colorful and pleasant. I'll post pics when they come in!

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah, that makes much more sense. I hadn't heard that use of the word before. That's a very interesting idea, I think it'd be fun to try sometime...
I'd like to clarify that this is my interpretation of nano fish. It's taking a lot of discipline to keep it to strictly nano fish - or else I'd get an electric blue acara!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom