Anyone Have Experience With Bucephalandra?

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just discovered these lovely plants - and I have an opportunity tomorrow to pick some up super cheap! (Regular $14.99, but on sale for $4.50!) I think they're beautiful and unique looking - and from what I've read online, it sounds like they're pretty easy to keep.

Anyone that has them have any tips on care, what to look for when buying etc?

Thanks!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
$4.50 is a steal. You’d be a moron (kidding) not to buy them. I got some a couple of months ago. Like already said, they are easy plants, but I still think you would need some decent lighting. I’m not exactly sure how to define decent, but I use the Finnex Stingray, which I think would be suitable for most tank sizes. The taller the tank, the less light reaches the plants. Or something like that.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, I gather they aren't very easy to come by (at least I've never seen them in my area before). $4.50 is even a good deal for an anubias, but you can get them everywhere, so I agree I would be ridiculously moronic not to buy some Buce!!!! lol

Do yours flower?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not yet. However, they are growing a lot faster than I expected, at least in comparison to my anubias. So hopefully, it flowers soon, if ever.

I remember @-Mak- has quite a number of them. Maybe they flowered for her. Regardless, she probably has more insight to them in regards to care than I do.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
Not yet. However, they are growing a lot faster than I expected, at least in comparison to my anubias. So hopefully, it flowers soon, if ever.

I remember @-Mak- has quite a number of them. Maybe they flowered for her. Regardless, she probably has more insight to them in regards to care than I do.
I'm pretty sure everything grows faster than anubias!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My buce doesn't grow faster than Anubias, and from what I've read/seen, that's pretty normal - buce is an extremely slow grower as well (usually, at least). It does well in low lighting - all of mine grow under a mat of riccia and they're doing well.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lynn78too said:
Lynn78too said:
Maybe it depends on the species of anubias . I have the Nana Petite and another larger one, which I can’t recall the name of. Heck, maybe one buce grows faster than another kind. I don’t know :emoji_thinking:

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bucephlandra are gorgeous plants once fully grown. their care is the same as anubias and java fern. they do well in low lighting like stated above but looks stunning in certain lights. some buce do flower but it is uncommon unless they really like where they are just like anubias. these plants are hard to find, i can only find them online but normally at $14.99 or more unless on sale :/
id love to get more but waiting for a sale to happen. it can be tricky figuring out what kind you have unless it is labelled because of how many there are. i dont even know what i have XD.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the mention @scarface!
I have quite a few varieties. Link to my buce only tank is in my signature, I can’t remember what they all are but they’re listed in that post. Buceplant.com has reasonably priced buce too, and great quality.
Like the others said, it’s a pretty easy plant and does great in low light. I’ve found mine to be faster than anubias, and under CO2 injection is actually a pretty decent grower.
The pictures of buce you see on google are absolutely stunning with their blue, purple, and “galaxy” sheen. To get that however, higher light with comprehensive fertilizer and possibly CO2 is necessary. There is a big difference between my buce tank (has DIY CO2) and the old buce I had in a low tech. Like all plants, to reach its full potential it cannot be nutrient and CO2 limited. I’ll try to get some pictures when I get home, since I haven’t updated that thread in a while

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the great info everyone! Mak - do yours flower at all?

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Algonquin said:
Thanks for the great info everyone! Mak - do yours flower at all?
A couple did in my low techs, but the bud always rotted away before opening. None have in the 1 gallon.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
-Mak- said:
Thanks for the mention @scarface!
I have quite a few varieties. Link to my buce only tank is in my signature, I can’t remember what they all are but they’re listed in that post. Buceplant.com has reasonably priced buce too, and great quality.
Like the others said, it’s a pretty easy plant and does great in low light. I’ve found mine to be faster than anubias, and under CO2 injection is actually a pretty decent grower.
The pictures of buce you see on google are absolutely stunning with their blue, purple, and “galaxy” sheen. To get that however, higher light with comprehensive fertilizer and possibly CO2 is necessary. There is a big difference between my buce tank (has DIY CO2) and the old buce I had in a low tech. Like all plants, to reach its full potential it cannot be nutrient and CO2 limited. I’ll try to get some pictures when I get home, since I haven’t updated that thread in a while
I as just about to tag you! I was beaten by @scarface though.

Buces are kinda like anubias nana. They are easy-ish, but appreciate good lighting and some decent column ferts.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cleaned the tank a bit and took some pictures during:

IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1036.JPG IMG_1039.JPG

Buce also has a really high tolerance to drying out. The leaves are actually a bit water resistant when exposed to air.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks great! I bought several buces from my LFS, but I’m definitely checking out Buceplant for future purchases; I would have got more for the money.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom