Anyone have dividers for a standard 125 gallon and 50 gallon ideas?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Marisseas, Apr 5, 2010.

1. MarisseasValued MemberMember

I need to divide a section off of the main tank for when certain fish species spawn. I tried getting net-like fabric and magnets, but the magnet strength wasn't enough to hold it up between the glass. I need these to be removeable. Any suggestions/ideas?

2. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

How about a breeder net? I don't have much of an idea to keep it straight, though.

3. OP
    OP
    M

MarisseasValued MemberMember

4. Omgami

OmgamiValued MemberMember

There's a DIY on here somewhere that tells you how to make a divided tank using plastic canvas and report binders. They work great and I'm sure that you can adapt it to your tank. Sorry I didn't find the link but I'm sure someone will come along and help direct you. If the holes are two big you might be able to use a fine piece of netting from the fabric store to cover the plastic canvas before you slide it into the binders.

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I've made dividers for large tanks before out of plastic hobby mesh & PVC pipe before. All it took was 4 peices of PVC pipe with 4 PVC elbows & enough hobby mesh to to cover the area I wanted to divide.

Measure the inside of the tank & cut the PVC pipe to the right lengths, (don't forget to allow for the elbows). Cut slots the full length of each piece of PVC pipe. Now glue the pieces together so they form a square with the slots you cut facing to the inside of the square. Cut the mesh to be slightly larger than the inside area of the PVC frame. Now all you need to do is slide the mesh into the slots in the frame & intall it in the tank.

I hope that makes sense to you. I don't have my divider anymore so I can't post pics of it for you.

6. Big_BichirNew MemberMember

Great idea Nutter!
    I haven't done that, but there would be decent sized gaps on the outside of the frame since the elbows are larger in outside diameter that the pvc pipe.
    How about after assembly of the frame, cutting small strips or shims made from similar lengths of pvc as the exposed frame tubes and glue them on the outside to take up the difference.

Of course all this matters on what kind of fish you are breeding. If it's cichlids, the fry will need to stay with the parents and could slip through those gaps.
    But livebearers wouldn't be an issue since you need to take them away right away anyhow.

Again, I've never done this setup, so I don't really know if it would be an issue anyways.
    Just thinking of hypothetical issues

7. OP
    OP
    M

MarisseasValued MemberMember

Thanks!

8. anunez91Valued MemberMember

i dont think this ones too old, haha, idk if youve got this one down already but for future references, you can always use stronger magnets,

theyve got some sick ones

for future references =]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice