Question Anyone Have Any Experience With Triops?

ChitaBetta

Reaction score
As a kid I was fascinated with these creatures and I would love to own them again, except he much larger species (Triops Longicaudatus). I tried once a long time ago, as a kid but they hatched and died a few hours later, I didn't know a lot about aquariums back then, and want to have another go; but this time I wanted to try something different.

- I understand small/new hatched Triops would be fish food, but does anyone have and experience with keeping full grown Triops in an aquarium with fish? (As a kid I managed to keep full sized Triops and SeaMonkeys/Brine Shrimp together and no-one ate anyone. I was probably just lucky, one also lived for way longer than the 90 days they should.)
- I am also aware that when breeding Triops, usually they require the eggs to be dried out for the cycle to restart, I did read some places online that people said some people managed to hatch them with a water change. I was wondering if that is even possible?
- Also if I used aquarium water for the Triops, would that work? I know the adults are a lot hardier and wonder if hatching would be possible with that. Either used aquarium water which has had the tap chemicals removed, or treated tap water.
- Also does anyone know if Triops eat live plants? I know they have a varied diet.

Thanks so much.
This might be an experiment I try out in a few months time.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have tried several times and only found 1 method that worked for me. I used a 20 long and started the culture, about 1/2 full of water. After they hatched i gradually filled it up over the next few days. Then I added 4 guppies and a little 5 gallon filter that was cycled. It lasted about a month until i killed them with a partial water change. Not sure exactly what went wrong. Water was from the same R/O source and the same temperature as the tank wasn't heated and it had been there for days.
Times before that i tried, i attempted different acclimation methods, and they were fine for over a day and fully acclimated the last time, but all died shortly after being added into the fish tank that way. Every time.
I've always wanted to try them with a killfish that has a similar life span and cycle tho. I think thst might be a method to get both them and fish in the tank at the same time.

OP
C

ChitaBetta

Reaction score
MrBryan723 said:
I have tried several times and only found 1 method that worked for me. I used a 20 long and started the culture, about 1/2 full of water. After they hatched i gradually filled it up over the next few days. Then I added 4 guppies and a little 5 gallon filter that was cycled. It lasted about a month until i killed them with a partial water change. Not sure exactly what went wrong. Water was from the same R/O source and the same temperature as the tank wasn't heated and it had been there for days.
Times before that i tried, i attempted different acclimation methods, and they were fine for over a day and fully acclimated the last time, but all died shortly after being added into the fish tank that way. Every time.
I've always wanted to try them with a killfish that has a similar life span and cycle tho. I think thst might be a method to get both them and fish in the tank at the same time.
Thanks, that is actually really useful to know, that sounds like a plan that could possibly work. (Having their own tank and adding fish later.)
Could it had maybe been something to do with the build up of bacteria etc in the water and when you did the water change they just reacted to that? I'm just guessing, sounds really odd for a water change to kill them.

They definitely sound like they are a WHOLE lot more delicate than Shrimp, that's a huge shame.

Would be really awesome to be able to raise them with killifish. Have always been interested in those fish also. If you do try that, I would be very interested to know how it works out.

Thank you for your reply, I've learnt a lot.

New Threads