Anyone Have A Mandarin Fish?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by PuffPuff, Jul 11, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

I went to my LFS and saw a Mandarin Fish. I was going to purchase it but the LFS clerk told me it would not be a good start for me since this fish is super hard to care for since it is picky about eating and can starve itself. idk if thats true or he just didnt want to sell me the fish. it was a reasonable price too. i think it was 5.99

if anyone has one can you post pictures here. im interested

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. FishesInTank

FishesInTank Valued Member Member

Yes its not for beginner, they need right tank and they prefer 75 gallon tank

The Owner of Good Fishes and Killing Fishes group

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're marine fish & yes from what I've read & heard they are hard to get feeding & many starve to death, a fish for the experienced marine keeper I'd say

4. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

they do, i have a 29 gallon. LFS said tank was at the minimum size but i should wait until i have more experience

5. FishesInTank

They need sufficient live food, and are yours marine or fresh water?

6. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

well i have both tanks.
    i was told that These fish are not hard to care for if you have lots of of faunal organisms (amphipods and ogiocheates) in the sand. which can take a year to colonize in your tank, before buying this fish

7. FishesInTank

Have you prepare? They need excellent tank if you want them to be happy, i recommend you must ONLY buy 1

8. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

im not prepared, currently have a tank running with marine salt. waiting for it to cycle. going on 2 weeks so far.

wow, looks like every fish im interested in has to be in a 75 gallon or bigger tank. good thing i have a 75 gallon. not set up yet due to me living in my attic on the 4th floor. scared to set it up. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2018
  9. FishesInTank

Dont be scared if you wanna have mandarin fish if you really wanna, the feeling you want a fish beats fear :3

10. TracyLeeAnne

TracyLeeAnne Valued Member Member

PuffPuff : There's really good solid advice above, you would be wise to heed it; however, I will share that a Mandarin was and still is my first saltwater fish. I am what I think of as an ACTIVE owner of a mandarin. I went to great extremes to make my experience with him successful. You might be able to do it too.

First, I made it a point to select from my LFS a big fat Mandarin. That was key, because unlike the other very skinny ones, the heftier one is a good indication that the Mandarin is a little more flexible with its diet than usual. And you will need that flexibility and extra weight to help you transition him to a tank environment;

Second, my Mandarin was the very first inhabitant in my tank and it was 10 weeks before he was ready for any other occupants... because it took me that long to train him;

The third step was I purchased every week a bottle of live copepods - here in Austin, $20/bottle. And I used a target feeder to feed the pods to him directly twice a day; it took him a week to 10 days just to figure out I was a good thing; it took another 2+ weeks before he was literally sucking the pods straight out the end of the feeder like a bottle;

Forth step, sneak in frozen mysis :) This took another 2 to 3 weeks and this is why the extra weight is needed, my little guy was loosing weight at this point.

Foe-Foe (aka Forrest Gump) is now a full on garbage disposal, and an invaluable member of my cleanup crew for my seahorses.

There are several accounts online by people who are successfully keeping them in much smaller tanks; and that's the difference in my thinking between active and passive ownership. The passive perspective is banking on the pod population that's accumulated in an established large system.

If you can get your OCD on, it could be good. Just don't bring home a skinny one.

11. FishesInTank

3 of em are upside down lol

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice