Anyone have a floor give out? Question

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Anyone have a floor cave in under an aquarium?

What signs did you notice before the disaster? Did the tank lean, etc.

Any advice?

2. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

No I haven't known of anyone have a floor cave under the weight. Are you having some concerns?

3. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Yes. I set up a 135g in a mobile home.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't believe I've ever seen a thread about it. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but people start threads about every little thing and I firmly believe that if it happened to a member, there would be a thread about it.

I would not expect the tank to fall straight through the floor - I would expect a portion of the floor to break, causing the tank to fall over.

5. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

I remember someone in England having a tank fall through the 2nd floor.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Holy cow that would be awful. I don't know if you've filled it or not yet, but putting a large board like plywood underneath (larger than the base) would help displace some of the weight. Pressure is calculated by dividing the force (weight of the aquarium) by the area, so increasing the area will decrease the pressure on the floor.

7. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

LOL id question setting up a 55 gallon in a mobile home

8. Jaysee

Sure, there are stories of it happening, but really not much first hand experience. I think you would need simultaneous failure of multiple beams for that to happen. Certainly not impossible.

9. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Anypne have a floor give out?

I live in a first floor flat that is constructed from cement and steel and I am soon to be setting up a 63 gallon and have had the same worries but I'm pretty sure it will be fine especially with today's strict building regulations but the worry is still there at the back of my mind.

If its not too late you could take out some of the water or temporarily re set up one of the other tanks until the snow melts and you can get into the crawl space to reinforce the floor if only to put your mind at rest :)

10. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I've not had it happen personally but then again in some houses I wouldn't even attempt it. The hollow sounding floors bother me and I think if I were to set up a large tank in a mobile home/mfd house I would support it as mentioned in the thread. I grew up in a house that was old and raggedy so I am familiar with weak flooring.

11. Jaysee

Ehhh, yes and no. Many older houses were made with higher quality wood, and they were made to last. Others were poorly made, though. While there may be more regulations now, companies do what they can to save money and that means cutting and shaving where they can. An example would be the actual size of the pieces. 2x4s used to be 2 X 4. Now they are 1.5 x 3.5.

12. Magoo

Ours are made of cement and steel they haven't constructed the floor with wood thankfully so fingers crossed and everything else it will be fine my dad used to be an engineer and be says it will be fine :)

13. Jaysee

Oh I didn't mean about your house - just in general. People assume that because something is new that means it's made better, but they say "they don't make'em like they used to" for a reason.

Cement and steel - I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over a 63 gallon :) I lived in a cement/steel apartment building, on the second floor, with all my tanks.

14. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

I grew mobile home and I do not think they are very sturdy, depends on the age i suppose (this was 20 years ago) I remember my dad getting mad and stomping and moving the entire thing lol I dont think I would trust even a 55 in one. For your sake I really hope it is strong enough and praying for you that it will hold!!

15. Magoo

Lol thank you Jaysee that does put my mind at ease I appreciate it :)

16. Magoo

Didn't you have a 40 and a 20 up at the same time? And your floor was ok I would try and not worry too much but I would reinforce the floor as soon as possible though just to be on the safe side :)

17. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

I live in a newer, "nice" house. I have a total of 300 gallons upstairs. I deff had trouble sleeping the first night I set up my 125 but so far so good :) I can't image the mess if one fell threw.

18. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Actually, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm in a 25-30+ yr old house that's ... not far from nice, but needs some TLC and reinforcements ... everywhere I'm sure, and where my tank is shakes now :( I'm heavily considering moving it to the basement (concrete floor) but I hate the basement and the effort to move the tank even for me and my brother would probably be detrimental to my fish. Every other wall I think would be sturdier has a radiator on it. -_-;

I THINK it would start by leaning and/or wavering heavily before breaking/falling through. Wood is springy and bends/gives as it weakens before it breaks. If you walk in front of it and get a sinking feeling, prolly a good idea to move it :) I take it you've exhausted the option of keeping the tank against a wall where a main support is, or against an outside supported wall?

19. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

I think you'll be fine. I was always worried about setting up my 75 on the upper floor but after talking with some people here and thinking about it...it really should be fine. Just think of your couch with 3 or 4 150-200lb adults sitting on it. or how about a 200lb teenager plopping down on the couch with all that force. Your floor survives!

20. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Guys I do know of this happening. It was actually a guy that works at a local Petsmart. He was telling me the story of his tank he setup. I can not remember if it was a house or mobile home but his floor buckled scaring him and his family to death. He said the floor literally started cracking so needless to say he couldnt get the tank taken down fast enough at that point. Also, when I use to rent apartments in the lease they would have it in there saying no water beds in the upstairs bedrooms. With this said I have no earthly idea how many gallons of water goes into a water bed. Its still the same concept thought. Lots of water equals lots of weight. I have also known people to reinforce thier floors in and around where large tanks will be.