Anyone Had Success With The Diy 5gal Canister Filter??

1. J

Justin Miller New Member Member

I just bought a 120 gallon tank I'm wanting to build one of the diy canisters for the filtration. I'm thinking they heaters to maintain the temp maybe a power head on each end for circulation and two air stones to keep oxygen levels up. I'm going to keep community fish I'll hit the stocking forums up once I figure out the build. Anyone using one of the diy canisters with success and have any tips for putting it together? Thoughts on the above setup? The pickup and return will be going near the center of the tank heaters on either side of that and then an air stone and power head on each end.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

From what I have read, unless you want to keep the filter at the same height as your tank a 5 gallon bucket is not strong enough to contain all of the pressure that will be forced on it. This is because 5 gallon buckets lids are very thin and are notorious for having poor seals. It might not leak today or tomorrow, but it will leak and odds are you wont notice until it is too late.

If you want to DIY some filtration I would suggest a sump. The main additional cost of a sump over a canister will be the container, and if you design it properly there are many added benefits of running a sump.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I built some incredibly effective top of the tank filters with powerheads and plastic boxes, but they were on top of the tank, and ugly. They worked incredibly well, but were not something you'd want in a living room. They devoured ammonia though.

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Oops :D (This is in my living room. First thing you see when you walk in the door.)
    image.jpg

6. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

That is real nice, can we get a few more pictures to see how you put it together.
    sorry, you'd have to make a new thread for that.

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

That looks better than the ones I made. I do believe there's an idea I can steal there...

8. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Check out my 125g build thread, I have more info there. I can add more details if people want it... someone asked me to do a video at one point, maybe I should...

If I was going to do it again, I'd run all the tubing through the bottom of the boxes so it is less visible. Overall, I'm quite happy with it, though.

9. tocandesu

tocandesu Well Known Member Member

In Joey's (King of DIY) video on the DIY 5 gal canister filter, he used a different kind of lid with threads so that it can handle the pressure.

10. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

I believe you are talking about the Gamma Seal Lid. They should work, but are kinda pricey with the lowest cost I have seen being $25 to your door.

As far as inexpensive DIY filtration, I think that overhead sumps similar to what @vikingkirken has are more practical and safe.

11. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Valued Member Member

I just built the DIY 5 gallon Bucket Canister filter. I used a harbor freight fountain pump mounted in the bucket. It does 620 GPH with suction on one end of the tank and discharge on the other. I used a gamma lid that was $6 at Lowes in the US. It leaked but I wiped some Vaseline on the rubber and now its good. I filled it with lava rock but it needs poly to take out the small particles or your fish will flash as mine did. Fill the bucket with water before you close it. So far I like it and it was cheap. If it works well I can free up the hob and the 3 sponge filters for other tanks. The tank is 72"x18"x18" 9644882b7a4f6627f71b632c5f836f4b.jpg 9e98e0e6d7ae2262ef64641b54ba4362.jpg 63d720b689d630295586300f41911104.jpg b784bac73dd1966ae8fd26ba2476b82d.jpg

12. ounderfla69

ounderfla69 Valued Member Member

The problem with the gamma seal lids are they leak under pressure. They were created to make an air tight removable seal to hold food and water long term. Some people had luck putting plumbers tape or grease but you have to watch them they were not meant to handle pressure.

13. Deaddawg

I have the pump on the inside sucking through the bucket, not pushing through it. If you can please explain the pressure because I can't figure it out. Thanks

14. Deaddawg

Update... had to shut it down to add poly to the top of lava rock and built a poly filter for discharge to catch small dust particles from the lava rock. Its online again and I'm watching. Thinking about raising the suction up higher in the tank just in case it blows it want suck alot of water out of the tank and flood my house.

15. ounderfla69

Anytime you have moving water you have pressure, there are a lot of things that can cause a pressure build upand I'm just saying watch the gamma seal to make sure water doesn't leak.

16. Deaddawg

I took your advise and put it in a spare 45 gallon and shortened the suction pipe in the tank so if it does blow it want flood my house.

17. Deaddawg

Went ahead and bought the size 378
    o ring for the DIY canister filter. The valves are wide open and no leaks. I removed it from the spare aquarium containment last night. All is good.

18. Deaddawg

That is the old pic, here is the newer one. I changed to a dark color to help the tank stand out more and i replaced the trim around it with a larger width. 17b76fb28948f945e90e0ee025cd1656.jpg

19. ounderfla69

Cool, glad its working, where did you find out this o=ring replacement? Is it bigger then the original?

20. Deaddawg

You tube comments for king of diy. Yes it's bigger as in thicker.