Question Anyone had success breeding blue rams?

BigOscar

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have several pairs of blue rams and have had limited success in hatching and raising the fry. If anyone knows any suggestions or pointers, I would love to hear them.

Tankfull Tropicals

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They need to be well conditioned. I use chopped earth worms and crab meat. They go at it like wolves. You should have 2-3 females per male for greatresults. Males will breed with the whole harem sometimes. The other thing they seem to need is VERY soft water and 6-7 PH. A large slightly colder water change will usually trigger them to spawn if they are in breeding ondition. Especialy the females. Seperateing the sexes for a while can help too. Males always seem ready but females can be picky. I don`t have any on eggs now but they are great parents. Theywill both protect the brood but mostly the Mom. The whole school will follow her around the tank when they start eating. Brine shrimp are relished by parents too. Good luck. Doug

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ram fry are difficult. I've had the best success by taking the eggs from the parents and putting them in their own tank. remove any fungused eggs when you see them. Once the fry are freeswimming, I add a few cups of green water.

They are too small to eat BBS when they are newborn, but they do seem to take to vinegar eels. The greenwater seems to help them also.

BigOscar

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I left the last two batches with the parents, both times ended in the females dying. The males raised the fry until they were free swimming and then the fry disappeared. I am assuming that the males are eating them. I have hatched one batch in a separate tank but only ended up with 20 fry that survived. Of those, 3 grew very rapidly and the others are still really small.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tank water in a 2 liter bottle in the window sill, add some dead plant matter and wait a few days.

BigOscar

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
None of my tanks are planted. I was reading that boiled rice can also be used. Have you tried this method?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom