Anyone had luck with cabomba?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by lily potter1223, Aug 2, 2015.

1. lily potter1223

lily potter1223Valued MemberMember

Hey there

Just wondering, has anyone had any luck with cabomba? Mine keep dying a few weeks after I get them. It's kind of frustrating. I think it may be that I tie the stems together and stick it iin the gravel, but I can't think of any other way to keep them from floating. I really like the look of them as a substrate plant, but I can't get them to live that way.

Has anyone had any luck with growing cabomba in their substrate? Any inputs would be appreciated :)

2. Bajoc

BajocValued MemberMember

It feeds from its stem and leaves. So, if it has adequate nutrients in the water column and a heck of a lot of light, itll.be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

They need lots of light, a good plant substrate and CO2 in my experience with it. They don't do well in a low light set up.

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Also "bunch plants" need to be planted individual stem at a time not tied together. Cambomba is a cooler water plant and does not generally do well in water above the low 70's.

5. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

Every time I tried to plant them individually them would just lose hold and float back up, since they don't have roots. How do you make them stay?

6. Thunder_o_b

7. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

Just normal gravel. Nothing special...

8. Thunder_o_b

Well, I strip the leafs off the stem for around 2" and stick in the gravel. Try pushing them in at an angle.

9. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

Ok Thanks, I'll try that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice