Anyone Had Luck Breeding Platinum White Guppies? What Strain To Invest In?

Bleu

HI guys, I want to start breeding guppies in the future, obviously not now, but at one point. I'm in-love with white guppies, and when I mean white, "platinum" white / "milky white" because they remind me of my betta's and I just find them stunning. Though I have found on few fish lore past threads that albino guppies do not breed well? Why is this? What if I were to breed the same parents only but just sell the fry (not breed the fry when they're the right selling age?)

If white guppies do not breed well, what is a strong well-selling strain that is in demand that is well liked? I do want to start selling them in the future, because obviously I won't have room for tons of guppies.

Annie59

I have two white guppies. They haven't bred only because they are both males lol. I've been on the look out for some white females but no luck yet. Good luck in your search.
Just to be clear I'm sure mine aren't anything special seeing I got one from Petco and the other from Walmart But they sure are pretty!

Bleu

I have two white guppies. They haven't bred only because they are both males lol. I've been on the look out for some white females but no luck yet. Good luck in your search!

Ooh, do you have photos?

Annie59

I'll have to look for photos. I did edit my post to let you know mine are nothing special though. But they are the milky white but I have no idea what kind of offspring they will throw once I get females

aussieJJDude

White/platinum guppies are different from albino. Albino guppies have red eyes, while white guppies do not have the red eyes. You can however get Albino white/platinum guppies if that's your thing.

Albino guppies tend to be a little more 'slow'. The baby guppies I had made really no effort to hide and resulted in the entire spawn except one surviving. There's very little 'instinct' left in albino strains compared to others that's not so line bred.

Bleu

White/platinum guppies are different from albino. Albino guppies have red eyes, while white guppies do not have the red eyes. You can however get Albino white/platinum guppies if that's your thing.

Albino guppies tend to be a little more 'slow'. The baby guppies I had made really no effort to hide and resulted in the entire spawn except one surviving. There's very little 'instinct' left in albino strains compared to others that's not so line bred.

Yeah, I'm not aiming for the albino's but if I can't find anything besides albino, then I'll go with albino. I just want to get that strong white colour throughout as if it were a betta. When you bred your albino's - did anything look "wrong" with them?

aussieJJDude

Yeah, I'm not aiming for the albino's but if I can't find anything besides albino, then I'll go with albino. I just want to get that strong white colour throughout as if it were a betta. When you bred your albino's - did anything look "wrong" with them?
Nah. But I only really have F2, so it's a little 'early' to comment. I just find my albinos tend to breed a lot slower than the pet store mutts for whatever reason, the females really seem to pop out fry every couple of months. (But many I have talked to say otherwise, so it could just be me...)

I imagine if you continue to inbreed your fish, then yes. It could lead to issues. But that goes with any fish tbh.

emeraldking

Most whites are blonde based. But there are white based ones too but more rare. But a white based guppy isn't that deep white as you might think.
But again, most white (covered) guppies are blonde based.
Below: Japan blancos. These are white platinums but shorttailed and blonde based.

livebearer2 138.jpg

And overhere some snow whites (white platinum roundtail blonde based)

DSCF9163.JPG

Overhere a white based female

livebearer4 322.jpg

Overhere some albino platinums which can be used to develop a white platinum strain as well.

livebearer5 031.jpg

If there aren't breeders in your area who may have females that are genotypical white platinum. Try to find blond females which are virgins with no markings or coloration in their fins. And if they do carry sperm packages from a former mating, than use the female offspring of this female as long as there are blonde female offspring with clear fins. But also blonde females with clear fins which are recessive to the traits of her own strain "could" be potential material you can use to create white males in the following generations. It will take some generations before you'll have a complete white platinum strain. You need to cull in the first couple of generations without a doubt.

Cameron2585

I have had albino koi guppies a few months ago and they bred just fine. They had fry every month and so on (only started with 1 female and male which isn't ideal but it worked for me). The fry were growing and were healthy but unfortunately they all died within a week because of an illness which got introduced to the tank. But besides the illness the albino guppies I had used to breed at a normal rate. The only thing is that they were more sensitive and they used to get scared and stressed really easily.

emeraldking

I have had albino koi guppies a few months ago and they bred just fine. They had fry every month and so on (only started with 1 female and male which isn't ideal but it worked for me). The fry were growing and were healthy but unfortunately they all died within a week because of an illness which got introduced to the tank. But besides the illness the albino guppies I had used to breed at a normal rate. The only thing is that they were more sensitive and they used to get scared and stressed really easily.
In general I do think albino guppies are more vulnerable in comparison to black eyed guppies.

Cameron2585

In general I do think albino guppies are more vulnerable in comparison to black eyed guppies.
I agree. (albino fish doesn't just mean they have red eyes only btw, not sure if you know this or not)

emeraldking

I agree. (albino fish doesn't just mean they have red eyes only btw, not sure if you know this or not)
I'm aware of that. And that doesn't even go for just fish only.
But in general I meant inos. For there are also lutinos.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Goldmoon
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • emeraldking
  • Guppy
Replies