Anyone Grow These In Lowlight?

TagTeam
I've been struggling to successfully grow certain plants in my 20 gallon tall tank.
Lighting: Beamswork DA FSPEC light (I hope to upgrade someday but won't be any time soon)
Substrate: Black Diamond Blasting Sand
Ferts: root tabs and PPS-PRO

So far the only plants I've been able to have success with are Anubias and Frogbit.
Brown Diatom killed everything else. I think that spell is over with so I might re-purchase the plants that all died (Amazon Sword, Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Pennywort, Java Moss, Java Fern), but I was thinking about the plants below.

Anyone have good luck growing any of these in lowlight?

Dwarf Lily Plant (nymphaea stellata)
Cardamine Lyrata
Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis
Didiplis diandra
RangerI Sword
Broadleaf Chain Sword
Moneywort
Bolbitis

FlipFlopFishFlake
I have had success growing both moneywort and dwarf lilies in low light. I have grown bolbitis in low light as well, though it seemed to have better growth when in high light

Bryangar
That light, from what I heard should be enough to grow low light plants. I personally don’t use it. I have a clamp light using a cfl 6500k bulb over my 20 tall. I have used all but cardamine lyrata, I have crypt spiralis but not retrospiralis (They basically have the same care and requirements.), Didiplis diandra, RangerI Sword, broad leaf chain sword or bolbitis. I have all other plants. My moneywort is growing pretty fast and recently I took out my dwarf lily to make room for more plants. It grew massive.

PPS-PRO is the kit with dry ferts and liquid, right? The plants you mentioned are really easy but can easily grow in your tank.

Jocelyn Adelman
Best thing I ever did was replace my beamswork light.... might work for low light plants on a 20long, but the height in a 20h you need a better light.

Wraithen
That light, from what I heard should be enough to grow low light plants. I personally don’t use it. I have a clamp light using a cfl 6500k bulb over my 20 tall. I have used all but cardamine lyrata, I have crypt spiralis but not retrospiralis (They basically have the same care and requirements.), Didiplis diandra, RangerI Sword, broad leaf chain sword or bolbitis. I have all other plants. My moneywort is growing pretty fast and recently I took out my dwarf lily to make room for more plants. It grew massive.

PPS-PRO is the kit with dry ferts and liquid, right? The plants you mentioned are really easy but can easily grow in your tank.
You can pps-pro as a kit. You're describing all dry ferts though. Pps pro is a dosing schedule where you only dose what the plants can use in 24 hours. It's similar to estimative index dosing, but you dose less ferts, more often.

leftswerve
Read and use at your own risk: I run a couple of the DA FSPEC, except I don't use the clear plastic mounts. They sit directly on the glass lid. The light disbursement using the clear "c" mounts is a waste.

Bryangar
You can pps-pro as a kit. You're describing all dry ferts though. Pps pro is a dosing schedule where you only dose what the plants can use in 24 hours. It's similar to estimative index dosing, but you dose less ferts, more often.
Ah okay, I wasn’t sure what it was so I did a few minutes of searching. Thanks.

TagTeam
Best thing I ever did was replace my beamswork light.... might work for low light plants on a 20long, but the height in a 20h you need a better light.

What did you replace it with?

Jocelyn Adelman
chihiros a601 (regular a series, not the plus). Can get them on eBay (Amazon sometimes but more expensive). For a low tech 20h I would use the fifth light setting

Didiplis and cardamine are better suited for a high tech, don’t do that well without co2

Wraithen
chihiros a601 (regular a series, not the plus). Can get them on eBay (Amazon sometimes but more expensive). For a low tech 20h I would use the fifth light setting

Didiplis and cardamine are better suited for a high tech, don’t do that well without co2
I think I've found my new person to tag when I run into plant problems!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nessaf
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
_Fried_Bettas_
Replies
Views