Anyone experienced with GloFish?

McCoyGlo

Hi, I am a new fish keeper. Dad came home with a 1-gallon tank and a betta for the little one. That didn't last too long. So we ended up getting more fish that passed. I started looking into it, as opposed to listening to the PetSmart employees. I ended up getting a 10-gallon tank and getting GloFish, which I now know it is better to pick the fish you want, and then get the tank and decorations. Lesson Learned.

However, my question is, what is the correct number of fish that I can keep in this sized tank? I understand they need a school of 5 or more. But I keep hearing all kinds of numbers. Right now I have 2. The first batch, PetSmart told me to just get the Top Fin water conditioner and beneficial bacteria. Let the tank sit for 24 to 48 hours and then I could add the fish. I added 5 to the tank and they all died within 24 hours. Since that happened I have learned that that was a terrible idea suggestion.

I then added a freshwater plant to the tank. I did not change the water and added a bit more fish food, then let the tank cycle for a couple of weeks before adding these 2 new fish. I kept the plants, decorations, and heater in the tank. I purchased the API Test Kit. They have been in the tank for a week with no issues. I checked the water today and did see the ammonium showing 0.25, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5.0. Tomorrow would be the first water change. I have ditched Top Fin water conditioner and picked up some Seachem Prime. I have a bucket and plan on changing 10% of the water tomorrow. I will add the water to the bucket with the prime and allow it to sit at room temperature for a bit.

Do I need to change more water due to that ammonia reading? Possibly 15%.

Also, when is it safe to add more GloFish to the tank? Please do not say when I get a bigger tank

Also, I have been reading about shrimps and snails. Would these be good additions to the tank or no?

Fishproblem

Hi! Welcome!

I would do about a 25% water change if you're seeing .25 ammonia, but that's also in a fully cycled tank with livestock. I'm not sure if a water change that size would disrupt your cycle, though I doubt it would. If you're seeing ammonia and nitrates with no nitrite, I think you're ready for fish!

What kind of glofish are you getting? they have a few varieties that are all different species of fish genetically modified to glow. that'll inform the number of fish you can fit in the tank.

esqueff

Your tank could possibly be cycled. The ammonia is known to read at .25 on the API test kit even when in reality it is actually 0. Nitrates are the last product of the cycle so seeing those is good. Test your tap water and compare results to your tank water. Some tap water has nitrates in it. if your tapwater has no nitrates you are most likely cycled

McCoyGlo

Yea, I think I am cycled. I have two GloFish Tetra in it for the past week. I want to add some more. But that is good to know the readings could be off. I will check my water tomorrow and see. Good idea.

When I feed them, I do watch them eat, and then I scoop out whatever food is left at the top when they are done. So far so good.

But it took a bit to get to the point, and I am actually enjoying the process.

Fishproblem

McCoyGlo said:
Yea, I think I am cycled. I have two GloFish Tetra in it for the past week. I want to add some more. But that is good to know the readings could be off. I will check my water tomorrow and see. Good idea.

When I feed them, I do watch them eat, and then I scoop out whatever food is left at the top when they are done. So far so good.

But it took a bit to get to the point, and I am actually enjoying the process.
I'm glad you're having fun with it! Glo fish tetras are black skirt tetras, so you can follow the same care guidance for your fish. Black Skirt Tetra Care - Size, Life Span, Tank Mates, Breeding

Edit: the above care guide says the minimum tank size is 20 gallons. don't worry - you should be able to fit five in the tank if they're the only fish in there, but i wouldn't do more than that.

JuiceBox52

I believe 10 gallons is too small for skirt tetras. They get to be decent sized and are quite active. They are also slightly aggressive amongst themselves, especially in a group of less than 10 and in a small tank. You can try it but I still wouldnt reccomend it good luck!

erinw347

Agree on the info above about the skirt tetras. Also, I think you could add a single nerite or mystery snail. Shrimp can be complicated and are really sensitive so I don’t recommend them for a new tank. Snails are more forgiving of beginner mistakes.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom