Anyone Experienc With Five Banded Barbs

Levinofish

Hello
Is there someone that has breeding experienc with five banded barbs ?

chromedome52

I keep seeing generalized recommendations for breeding barbs whenever I look up breeding of these fish. However, my experience, and that of several expert breeders, is that this species and its close relatives are not that simple to breed. First, they have cooler temperature preferences than most realize, and second, they come from peat swamps, where the pH can be as low as 4.0. The group I had turned out to be one sex, but I had the closely related Desmopuntius rhomboocellatus that I tried several different ways of spawning, with no success at all. I believe they are not generally bred commercially, either, as they are not at all common in the hobby.

Levinofish

I keep seeing generalized recommendations for breeding barbs whenever I look up breeding of these fish. However, my experience, and that of several expert breeders, is that this species and its close relatives are not that simple to breed. First, they have cooler temperature preferences than most realize, and second, they come from peat swamps, where the pH can be as low as 4.0. The group I had turned out to be one sex, but I had the closely related Desmopuntius rhomboocellatus that I tried several different ways of spawning, with no success at all. I believe they are not generally bred commercially, either, as they are not at all common in the hobby.
Tanks do you know what I should do my five banded barb looks like she is pregnant but I didn't know what to do can you help me ??

chromedome52

If you just leave her, she will probably reabsorb the eggs eventually or just release them unfertilized. Just because a female egglayer is full of eggs doesn't mean she is going to spawn. There has to be a male willing to fertilize the eggs as they are released, and the conditions have to be right to trigger the spawning. You would have to set up a tank with very soft, very acid water, peaty substrate, dark, and low 70s F. Put a male and a female in it and say a little prayer. Just don't expect anything.

Levinofish

If you just leave her, she will probably reabsorb the eggs eventually or just release them unfertilized. Just because a female egglayer is full of eggs doesn't mean she is going to spawn. There has to be a male willing to fertilize the eggs as they are released, and the conditions have to be right to trigger the spawning. You would have to set up a tank with very soft, very acid water, peaty substrate, dark, and low 70s F. Put a male and a female in it and say a little prayer. Just don't expect anything.
Sadly she has passed away I don't why

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Rebsfish
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Rebsfish
  • Florian Pellet
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Florian Pellet