Anyone ever regret their fish breeding?

steAMYz

I’m looking at getting some guppies, and I was considering getting some fry or juveniles if possible because I think my kids would like watching them grow. My fear is that future breeding could get out of hand, though. What do you do? I wouldn’t mind the occasional breeding, but I don’t want to get overwhelmed by it.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Every 2 or 3 months i round up the ones i dislike and take them to the local fish store and they stick em in a tank and sell them to people. Recently i picked up 4 betta gals and they like to rest at the bottom playing dead till a little fry swims into their mouth. Actually i'm not 100% sure that is working - as last trip i gave away 80% of my females so i might not be getting as many frys. I'll find out next month but in principal the betta are suppose to reduce the fry count long term. We're talking about 100+ guppies over the past 12 or 13 months. Bit excessive. I tried putting some small angles in the tank thinking they would get well fed but they were too lazy to chase down the guppy frys. I think the betta are a bit more clever.

OP
S

steAMYz

jake37 said:
Every 2 or 3 months i round up the ones i dislike and take them to the local fish store and they stick em in a tank and sell them to people. Recently i picked up 4 betta gals and they like to rest at the bottom playing dead till a little fry swims into their mouth. Actually i'm not 100% sure that is working - as last trip i gave away 80% of my females so i might not be getting as many frys. I'll find out next month but in principal the betta are suppose to reduce the fry count long term. We're talking about 100+ guppies over the past 12 or 13 months. Bit excessive. I tried putting some small angles in the tank thinking they would get well fed but they were too lazy to chase down the guppy frys. I think the betta are a bit more clever.
Oh, nice! I was under the impression guppies couldn’t live with bettas. Is it just male bettas they can’t live with?

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Not sure - as i started with these 4 ladies. Maybe when they get older they will be less tolerant (I think they were around 3 months old when i received them and i've had them for around 6 weeks so i guess that put them around 4 1/2 months old. I think they will be 'full adults' at 6 months so we shall see. I added a fish after i got them and one of the 4 betta took exception for about an hour and chased them around but afterwards either forgot or just accepted them - that was 5 weeks ago and everything has been fine. At feeding time the guppies are a pia shoving the betta out of the way but the betta seem to take it in stride and none of the guppies - 'cept an ancient male that was probably born with ripped tail - have any marks. Given the reputation of guppies attacking each other i'm a bit surprise. One thing is my tank is planted with lots of hiding places so anyone who doens't get along can also chill out in a hiding spot.

yyy.jpg

steAMYz said:
Oh, nice! I was under the impression guppies couldn’t live with bettas. Is it just male bettas they can’t live with?

OP
S

steAMYz

Interesting. I’ll have to do some more research! I really like that idea!
Nice tank! What size is it? Do they favor any of the plants? Anything you recommend getting? I’m still learning, and I only have anubias right now. I had a decent tank set up before I moved, but I’d like to expand in the plant department this time. I should probably post a question in the plant forum but I don’t even know what to ask.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
The tank is kind of small - 29. I like the green plant in the center front (Aponogeton Bolivianus) (but if i were replanting i would put it further back) and i like the green stuff in the very back (Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus). It has been very hearty (the tank has been setup for 13 months and all the major plants are 13 months old). The grass stuff (micro sword) on the right front is probably only 6 months old -it struggled a bit but in the past 2 or 3 months has started to pick up. The stuff on top is water lettuce with long roots tangled with some hornworth that was floating. There is also an Apongogeton Madagascariensis (lace plant) in the mix though the tank is a bit warm for that plant to thrive.

steAMYz said:
Interesting. I’ll have to do some more research! I really like that idea!
Nice tank! What size is it? Do they favor any of the plants? Anything you recommend getting? I’m still learning, and I only have anubias right now. I had a decent tank set up before I moved, but I’d like to expand in the plant department this time. I should probably post a question in the plant forum but I don’t even know what to ask.

jmaldo

Well Known
Yep, "Guppy and Platy". Non stop breeding. Just so,so,so many. Sold some, donated most, finally last batch of fry fed to my Angels. And traded the remaining parents to the LFS for store credit.
Don't get me wrong. I was just starting out, newbie for sure. It was "Fun" and "Exciting" at first, but...
Learnied a lot, which helped me when I stumbled into breeding Bolivians and now EBA also. Not a big $ maker but it keeps me basically in free supplies/ fish and plants.
Have Fun!
Good Luck

qldmick

Well Known
I would say give it a go, its great to see your fish breed and fry grow up, at worst you will be giving away your fry once they are big enough for other people fish not to eat them.

OP
S

steAMYz

jake37 said:
The tank is kind of small - 29. I like the green plant in the center front (Aponogeton Bolivianus) (but if i were replanting i would put it further back) and i like the green stuff in the very back (Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus). It has been very hearty (the tank has been setup for 13 months and all the major plants are 13 months old). The grass stuff (micro sword) on the right front is probably only 6 months old -it struggled a bit but in the past 2 or 3 months has started to pick up. The stuff on top is water lettuce with long roots tangled with some hornworth that was floating. There is also an Apongogeton Madagascariensis (lace plant) in the mix though the tank is a bit warm for that plant to thrive.
Thanks for the info! I have a 29, as well.

OP
S

steAMYz

Daniodude said:
My female betta has done a really good job keeping them in check, and she really likes chasing them.
Awesome! That’s what jake37 recommended above. Sounds like I need to do some betta research!

OP
S

steAMYz

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! I’m excited about this now!

jake37

Fishlore VIP
One thing to consider is the kids reaction to seeing the frys er well you know become food.

steAMYz said:
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! I’m excited about this now!

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
I just wanted to chime in as I breed a lot of fish now (sell a lot of them), when I was first starting out with a single community tank I tried to breed livebearers without a lot of success because I always had something in the tank that would eat the fry. If you're really wanting to breed and let the kids watch them grow you'll want to separate the fry from the rest of the fish and let them grow up in a nursery tank until they're big enough not to get eaten. I always had a betta, gourami, or angels that would make quick work of the fry and I'd be lucky to see them at all.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
As you can see from the above picture I also have a few swordtails. My original plan was that the swordtails would keep the guppy in check and vice versa. It didn't work the swordtails were too lazy to chase frys as were the guppy. I've always liked red wag swordtails and green swordtails since i was a little kid (I havent' seen a decent green swordtail in years). I don't get the new type of swordtails they make these days. Anyway I really don't recommend swordtails for a 29 (they were in a 40B before i moved - the male swordtail is my oldest fish from when i restarted (i skipped 25 years between aquariums). I've had him for about 20 months and he was already an adult so i guess he is close to 3 years - i been hoping they would raise a young male but for some reason all i get is females.

JakeXP

I bought a group of female mollies from my LFS last weekend, one of them being heavily pregnant. It's OK the chap says, leave them be and only three or four will survive. A couple days later she gives birth. Me being me I started netting the fry out whenever I saw them and put them in my spare tank. I've now twenty or so black and gold molly fry in there. The thing is, the guppies and mollies didn't seem too interested in even trying to attempt eating them so I reckon I'd have had quite a few survivors regardless. I've now got a dwarf gourami in there who I have more faith in.

OP
S

steAMYz

jake37 said:
One thing to consider is the kids reaction to seeing the frys er well you know become food.
I'm not too worried right now about the kids seeing them get eaten. The tank is not in an area they spend a lot of time in, and my oldest likes sharks and might actually find it entertaining. They don't quite grasp the concept yet, but I will be prepared if it seems like it will be an issue. They're pretty young and not very observant yet.

OP
S

steAMYz

e_watson09 said:
I just wanted to chime in as I breed a lot of fish now (sell a lot of them), when I was first starting out with a single community tank I tried to breed livebearers without a lot of success because I always had something in the tank that would eat the fry. If you're really wanting to breed and let the kids watch them grow you'll want to separate the fry from the rest of the fish and let them grow up in a nursery tank until they're big enough not to get eaten. I always had a betta, gourami, or angels that would make quick work of the fry and I'd be lucky to see them at all.
I actually wouldn't mind that. I was thinking of starting out with some fry or juveniles as the initial stock for this tank and letting the kids watch those grow. Then, when they mature, I would get the tank mate to help with any of their spawn, occasionally letting some mature. Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into those.

New Threads