Anyone Ever Keep Panda Corydoras With Fancy Goldfish?

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I've been doing some reading and I came across an article saying you can keep Panda Corys with Fancy Goldfish. Anyone here ever try it?

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

When the goldfish grows and decides to eat the Cory (assuming the unlucky panda has survived the endless waste production of the goldfish), the Cory will throw out its pectoral fins, spike the goldie's throat on the way down and they will both die.

They need different diets, different water flow, and entirely different habitats. I would not subject a Cory to a goldfish tank. I like them too much.

I didn't see your article, but plans like that are based on a disrespect for the needs of the fish, and on very short term set ups. They look great for us, but not for fish.

A goldfish can live 30 years and a Cory 7. You have to plan for the longterm, and not trust some person doing this for a few months and then posting an article online. It would be very nice if it were a good longterm plan, but it isn't.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd have to agree & say no, I have seen the scenario Navigatorblack mentions of a Goldie thinking it could eat a cory and it didn't end well, not with my fish btw.
    Corys can live 25-30 years given the right conditions but not living with Goldfish.

4. OP
    OP
    O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I thought it was very strange, so that's why I decided to ask. I know it could end very badly for the Cory and Goldfish, but this person claimed their Goldfish always left the Cory's alone.

Don't worry, I wasn't thinking about trying it, but when I come across stuff like that when trying to do research, I find it interesting and want to see if there could be any truth to it.

On a side note, I have Sterbai's and it would be wonderful if they could live that long! Hence why I am doing research as I always want to provide my fish with the best care I can.