Anyone ever head of a "spotted puffer"?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Charlemagne, Mar 21, 2010.

1. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Anyone ever heard of a "spotted puffer"?

Ok, has anyone heard of a spotted puffer fish? They have them at my local Walmart, and they're reeeally pretty. They are like highlighter yellow, with black polka dots. They are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I'd like to get one, cuz they are so pretty, but I'm not sure if I should. It says they require aquarium salt, and sometimes they have some salt in there in the bottom of an empty betta container. However, it doesn't say how much, or what. Could I put one in my 29 gal. w/
    1 betta(I know, I know, you're not supposed to have them in community tanks, but he's doing fine, but won't eat when he's by himself, and I don't have room for another tank)
    1 platy
    1 neon tetra
    1 black skirt tetra
    1 fiddler crab
    1 black mystery snail
    I don't know if these fish can handle salt, or if the puffer will be happy in a 29 gallon. Any and all answers are welcome! Thanks guys!!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

puffers should never be put with any other fish, sorry.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Thanks Meenu and Ken! Guess I won't be getting one :( Oh well. Well, I was thinking of getting another platy, a few more neons, and maybe a molly or two, or possibly a red-tailed shark. Anyone foresee any problems w/ those? Thanks everyone!

5. l

loachaholic Valued Member Member

Red-tailed sharks can be pretty agressive, and everything I've read about them says they really need 50g or larger. I personally wouldn't trust them in there with your other fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice