Anyone Ever Gotten A Java Fern From Petco?

Daltinray20007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I also think they are called Tropical fern in petco?Not sure...Also are they in decent condition?

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have. I bought one of the tubes. It depends on the condition. Depends on how long they’ve been there and how well they keep the lights. You should be able to see it pretty well.
I believe mine was grown emersed. All the leaves eventually died, but dozens of plantlets grew, and the rhizome continued to grow new leaves. I now have several java ferns, all from that little tube.

Daltinray20007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Have you gotten any others?If so have they survived?

Daltinray20007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also what did you mean by tubes?

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The plastic tube packages of “snail free” plants at petco.
I can’t remember if I got one or two tubes with java fern, I think 2 (one was labeled something else, may have gotten one at petco and one at petsmart)
I have gotten several different pants in those tubes, most have done well. Beware there are some that are not fully aquatic, and those eventually die under water. If unsure, do a quick google search.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've gotten several anubias from those tubes. They're very hardy plants and impossible for me to kill.

I agree with AngelTheGypsy that not all of those tube plants are aquatic. There should be a common name and then a scientific name on the packaging. I always Google the scientific one before deciding to purchase.

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
All the tubes you see labeled Narrow leaf java fern, Tropica fern, Windelov fern and Malaysian red fern are all just different varieties of java fern. Just look at the scientific name for the plant right underneath. If it says Microsorum then it's a java fern.

Daltinray20007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got one today,It has no dead leaves,I attached it to a rock with nylon string, now I wait.

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some of the leaves are in emersed form (grown out of the water) so you'll see them start to turn black and die. Just wait for a month and you'll see more growth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom