Anyone ever experienced a super aggressive guppy?

AnneRose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys!

Some of you may know that last week I bought 3 more guppies to complete a school of 6 guppies total. It started when one of them was acting... romantic towards one of my female platies, and then he left her alone and just started attacking every single one of my guppies AND platies. The others were all schooling together but this one was just attacking them 24/7.

Has anyone ever experienced a very aggressive guppy? The ones who were bought with him are very peaceful.

Got him exchanged for this beautiful guy, who's as peaceful as a rock (rocks are peaceful.)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Guppies don't school, so you don't need to keep them in groups of 6+ if you don't want to.

The new one is beautiful! Maybe the older one was feeling possessive?

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppies aren't schooling fish. I have the same kind of guppy in my 40 breeder. I used him to breed with a lot of females when I use to do slective breeding with guppies.

Aster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, I've seen it happen sometimes when they are stressed. I agree with Texas, guppies don't really school, but I've noticed they will loosely stick together if they're scared/stressed. Did you do anything to the tank recently?

Funny thing is, a little over a week ago, I added this absolutely gorgeous female to my tank and for the first few days, all she did was chase the other gups around. I was expecting the opposite to happen! It got so bad that I almost returned her. She's settling in now, though, and the aggression is fading. I assume she was just stressed out from being added.

OP
AnneRose

AnneRose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aster said:
Yes, I've seen it happen sometimes when they are stressed. I agree with Texas, guppies don't really school, but I've noticed they will loosely stick together if they're scared/stressed. Did you do anything to the tank recently?

Funny thing is, a little over a week ago, I added this absolutely gorgeous female to my tank and for the first few days, all she did was chase the other gups around. I was expecting the opposite to happen! It got so bad that I almost returned her. She's settling in now, though, and the aggression is fading. I assume she was just stressed out from being added.

He was very young, and seemed to really enjoy the tank. He just never got along with the other ones and when he saw that the platies weren't giving him attention when he was nipping them, he started attacking the guppies. I thought it'd stop once he'd settle in but it just started getting worse and worse. The guys at my LFS said that it happens, some guppies are just big bullies and think they're bigger than they actually are haha!

He wasn't bullying the guppies in the tank at the store when I returned him, it's as if he really hated the ones I have haha.

Aster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AnneRose said:
He was very young, and seemed to really enjoy the tank. He just never got along with the other ones and when he saw that the platies weren't giving him attention when he was nipping them, he started attacking the guppies. I thought it'd stop once he'd settle in but it just started getting worse and worse. The guys at my LFS said that it happens, some guppies are just big bullies and think they're bigger than they actually are haha!

He wasn't bullying the guppies in the tank at the store when I returned him, it's as if he really hated the ones I have haha.
Hmm, I don't know then. Maybe some time out from the tank would have fixed him right up?

OP
AnneRose

AnneRose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aster said:
Hmm, I don't know then. Maybe some time out from the tank would have fixed him right up?
I tried! Left him in a separate tank for like 5 hours and when I put him back in the main tank he started attacking the other fish, guess he really hated their guts haha

Aster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, that's really unfortunate, I guess he did! I'm glad you got a pretty new male though

New Threads