Anyone ever breed gold ring danios successfully?

• Thread starter StaceyMae
  • Start date

StaceyMae

Hi there everyone,

I have several gold ring danio and would like to breed them. I have a small hexagonal aquarium and I also have a breeding container (kind that hooks on aquarium like specimen container) that I could use, though I'm not sure which would be best with these somewhat boisterous fish!

They arent aggressive but can get into quarrels sometimes so I question putting them in a smaller container, even if it's just a breeding pair. I've questioned if they are more like the wild zebra danio than people thought! I havent had any issues with them and shrimp tho (they actually share food with my RCS!).

I just got more of the marbles/rocks to help hide the eggs. This is about all I know about it though: you crank the temperature up to 77°, put the fish in the mating container with those rocks, and wait. I do not know when I should get them out though, or any other specifics. I have never bred egg laying fish before, but I have had great success with shrimp.

I appreciate any information regarding the captive breeding process of egg laying fish, especially fish such as the gold ring danios if anyone knows (I know they hunt their own eggs/babies tho,right?). :)

Attachments

The_fishy

Well Known
I tried breeding with a small container and found they were too stressed in the confined space. I would perhaps suggest some live and frozen foods to condition them. I’ve also noticed most breeding behavior at dawn after a water change using colder water.

StaceyMae

The_fishy said:
I tried breeding with a small container and found they were too stressed in the confined space. I would perhaps suggest some live and frozen foods to condition them. I’ve also noticed most breeding behavior at dawn after a water change using colder water.
Thanks for your thoughts! That was my first worry about these as well, since they are already quite wild in my 20L. I might try a breeding pair first and go from there.

The_fishy

Well Known
StaceyMae said:
Thanks for your thoughts! That was my first worry about these as well, since they are already quite wild in my 20L. I might try a breeding pair first and go from there.
You would probably be fine trying to spawn all of them together too.

Top Bottom