Anyone Ever Bleached Hornwort?

1. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I thought that I had in the past, but I'm thinking maybe not after this episode. I almost always bleach my plants but very conservatively. About 1 oz bleach per gallon for about one minute, then rinse repeatedly.

Listen to this sad story. I was fishing last week and found the mother lode of hornwort on the lake. I needed some for my tub ponds so I brought home about 10 gallons. Sorted and cleaned for a few hours and ended up with about 3 gallons of nice hornwort. But it had a ton of critters in it so I upped the bleach to two oz and soaked for 2-3 minutes. Real bad idea! EVERY last strand of it was looking bad in a few hours and completely melted by the next day. I had an inch of plant mush on the bottom of three tub ponds and three aquariums. Nothing 12 WCs wouldn't fix. What a mess it was.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

lol. I have only potassium perganmanated it but yeah, it can be sensitive and cause a needle rain on tanks. I once threw a handful of it into an aquarium without rinsing... learned my lesson.

3. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I have since done a few searches and learned some of the heavy feeding plants such as hornwort will soak up toxins fast. But I'm no quitter so back out to lake in a few minutes lol. I'm sure my fish will eat most of the creatures but was just a little hesitant to not treat it. I'd just buy some plants but I need a crazy amount.

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The only thing I would be worried about would be introducing stuff like water scorpions (they can eat full grown fish)or dragonfly nymphs (the only eat fry and stuff like that), but everything else should be devoured by fish. Probably if you rinse very well each stem separately you wont have any problems.

5. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Maybe I'll get some of that daphnia you have been nagging me about lol. I saw quite a few scuds in the last batch. I don't think scorpions would be a problem here but there is definitely a good dragonfly hatch on this lake, and it's about the right time of year for it.

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Figured out how to harvest it without bringing the skanky bottom of the lake home this time. I got a 5G bucket of nice stuff and I won't be bleaching it lol. Hardly any bugs if you stay out of the mud. :)