Anyone Enjoy Bare Bottom Tanks?

1. ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Well Known Member Member

I do. I think its better for cleaning and easier to see you pollution. Also I enjoy the look. Plus IMO, I think some bottom dwellers like it more.

2. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

I have a tank that's barebottom for now and there's a good amount of appeal to it. I think it'd be nicer if I were to paint the outside of the bottom a solid color cuz it can stress my fish out a little bit.

It's a lot easier to find my fry in that tank lol which works cuz it's the fry grow out tank

3. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

i do but at the sametime i dont. i like how it is easier to clean the bottom but it isnt nice if you want to have a planted aquarium or if your someone who will get annoyed with seeing dirt or seeing underneath the tank

4. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Well Known Member Member

I have horn wort so there’s no need for me to plant.

5. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I do, but only in my fry tank.

6. F

Fishlover1996 New Member Member

I do when it comes to goldfish. They are really messy so I decided to go bare bottom and it's much easier to clean! I've not tried it with my tropical fish. They have plants in their tank so I can't take out the gravel.

7. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

I have many BB for breeding and raising fry.
    The are far easier to keep clean IMO[obviously] .
    I have kept rooted plants in terracotta pots without issue ,and usually have floaters.
    I have only 4 tanks out of over 60 with substrate..They are my one marine or display tanks.

8. D

Disturbed.) Valued Member Member

My big display "still putting it back together" and kitchen tank have substrate. The 7 others are bare. Bare tanks are much easier to maintain.

9. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

Yep. Same here. It's a lot easier that having gravel or sand. I transferred my fry into an already running 10G and they all pooped soooo much!

10. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Had a few bare bottoms include a saltwater bare bottom, but unless you have an external refug or sump, it's hard to keep the beneficial bacteria constant

11. NeonRasta

NeonRasta Valued Member Member

I have large south Americans and they would be stressed out so I keep a sand bottom looks much nicer and more natural IMO.

12. techfool

techfool Well Known Member Member

No. I tried it in the betta's retirement home and couldn't stand it. I also wanted to introduce the BB in the sand from the main tank.

13. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

There used to be an aquarium shop in the city near me, and all their tanks were bare bottom -it was great for viewing / buying fish and always looked really clean (I assume they vacuumed the bottoms). So I'd love it in the case of fish racks / breeding set ups etc, or for fry tanks, but I prefer my display tanks with largish gravel, fake driftwood, rocks and plants -easier too because I don't have to clean / vacuum but it still looks clean (the poop/uneaten food falls down in between the gaps in the gravel where it gets broken down naturally into a layer of sludge underneath the gravel).

14. D

Disturbed.) Valued Member Member

80 Gal grow out 4 EBA 3.5-4" 6 Turquoise Severum 2.75-3" I feed them a lot they are beggers galore. I alternate cleaning the AC70 and Aqueon 75 but do the prefilter for the 30w UV every week with a 25% WC. The only thing I have to gravel vac out is what falls off the prefilter when I pull it out to rinse it. Its one of my lowest maintenance tanks. The fish are the highlight for me. I'll admit its not the prettiest tank but the fish are happy, I don't have to do much other than enjoy them and that makes me happy. 20180715_204830.jpg

15. Wickedfun

Wickedfun Valued Member Member

I have one 55 gal bare bottom tank, with tetras, danios, Angels and dwarf gouramis...I love it.

Painted back (black) and bottom (white)

Attached Files: