Anyone Enjoy Bare Bottom Tanks?

1. ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Member Member

I do. I think its better for cleaning and easier to see you pollution. Also I enjoy the look. Plus IMO, I think some bottom dwellers like it more.

2. luckdown

luckdown Member Member

I have a tank that's barebottom for now and there's a good amount of appeal to it. I think it'd be nicer if I were to paint the outside of the bottom a solid color cuz it can stress my fish out a little bit.

It's a lot easier to find my fry in that tank lol which works cuz it's the fry grow out tank

3. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

i do but at the sametime i dont. i like how it is easier to clean the bottom but it isnt nice if you want to have a planted aquarium or if your someone who will get annoyed with seeing dirt or seeing underneath the tank

4. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Member Member

I have horn wort so there’s no need for me to plant.

5. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I do, but only in my fry tank.

6. F

Fishlover1996 Initiate Member

I do when it comes to goldfish. They are really messy so I decided to go bare bottom and it's much easier to clean! I've not tried it with my tropical fish. They have plants in their tank so I can't take out the gravel.

7. coralbandit

coralbandit Member Member

I have many BB for breeding and raising fry.
    The are far easier to keep clean IMO[obviously] .
    I have kept rooted plants in terracotta pots without issue ,and usually have floaters.
    I have only 4 tanks out of over 60 with substrate..They are my one marine or display tanks.

8. D

Disturbed.) Member Member

My big display "still putting it back together" and kitchen tank have substrate. The 7 others are bare. Bare tanks are much easier to maintain.

9. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

Yep. Same here. It's a lot easier that having gravel or sand. I transferred my fry into an already running 10G and they all pooped soooo much!

10. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Had a few bare bottoms include a saltwater bare bottom, but unless you have an external refug or sump, it's hard to keep the beneficial bacteria constant