Anyone Else Passionate About... Coffee?

1. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Ok. So after years of daily Starbucks trips, I finally realized that $5.50 per day adds up to quite a bit of money. What to do? I asked for and received a small, pretty modest personal espresso maker for my birthday. Someone else got me some whole beans imported from Italy. The results were eye-opening.

That "gourmet" slop they serve at Starbucks is appallingly bad! Until I got this espresso maker, I had no idea coffee could be so delicious. It consistently makes cup after cup of the best coffee I have ever had. I have been experimenting with various beans and blends ever since, and it keeps on getting better. I am now passionate about learning all about coffee.

The most important things I have discovered:
    1. I cream with 100% organic grass-fed heavy whipping cream. It's cheap and makes a huge difference.
    2. I sweeten with cane sugar syrup. (and it doesn't take 6 huge pumps like at Starbucks, more like half a tablespoonful in a 24oz tumbler to achieve a good balance.)
    3. Freshness affects coffee quality quite dramatically. I grind daily, and beans are good for only 2-3 weeks after opening.
    4. Quality, fair trade beans are important

The best stuff I have made usually consists of a high quality organic dark roast of some kind, enriched with 30-40% of pure 100% Kona beans from Hawaii. For some reason, to me, a 100% Kona cup isn't totally ideal, but adding it to other roasts makes amazing coffee.

I make 2 double shots, poured directly over tons of ice in a 24 oz tumbler, then cream and syrup. Melts some of the ice and makes a great cup. I'll usually make a second cup now, not because I want or need the caffeine, but purely because it's just so ridiculously delicious. I suspect it makes me type too much...

Does anyone else have a coffee obsession? Are there some special beans out there that I need to try?

2. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I love coffee but can't have it that often. We have a Keurig at home so if I make coffee it's usually with that, some milk, and a pack of sweetener and or flavoring if I have it.
    I'm lactose intolerant so that isn't something I do too often.
    At Starbucks I love their caramel macchiato and gingerbread coffee during winter (don't think they make that one any more, though).

I like the taste of coffee too.

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Coffee is a way of life for me. But I'm not that picky when it comes to my java. I personally can't stand starbucks coffee but as long as its a dark roast and pretty strong, I'm good. I prefer it with just a little creamer and a pack of splenda, though I can drink it black and be fine as well. I have a keurig as well

4. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I drink coffee all day... it is a terrible/wonderful addiction. I was spending so much at Starbucks that my husband bought me a Nespresso Machine with a milk frother attached. Boy was that a good idea... expensive at first, but made up by me not having to drop $5-10 dollars a day for coffee. I dont know what it is.... but I am a caffeine fiend.
    The doctor says to stop- but, ** curse** I no longer drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and have to watch every thing that goes into my mouth. But, you will bury me with a pound of coffee beans!

5. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Yeah is used to get iced caramel lattes at Starbucks. Around Thanksgiving each year, they get the gingerbread syrup out, and I would get gingerbread lattes. I used to think those were great! But it's like night and day with the coffee I'm making these days...
    I'm lactose intolerant, too. But the amount of lactose in a tablespoonful of heavy whipping cream is pretty negligible. The calories involved in a small amount of syrup and heavy cream is pretty much nothing, too. Totally worth it, IMO.

6. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Milk upsets my stomach and whipped cream gives me headaches, sadly. I don't know what it is about whipped cream and icings and stuff but I avoid them as much as possible. :(

Made some coffee with goat's milk a while back. Split it up over two days and that agreed with me. It tasted a bit different, though.

7. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Aw, a little coffee isn't going to be unhealthy for most people. Maybe it can raise blood pressure slightly, but it's also a potent diuretic that can lower blood pressure, so maybe that's a wash? Hmmm. I think coffee has been associated with kidney stones? Other than that, I can't think of why it would be unhealthy. But I'm not a doctor, just a pharmacist, so he would know better than I would. I personally think coffee is probably loaded with all sorts of useful healthy organics and phytochemicals.

8. James17 Well Known Member Member

Now this is a true statement, My wife has orders to have me cremated and put the ashes in a plastic container with fresh coffee grounds in the bottom. :)

9. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

My doctor says that it is hard on the heart, raising the heart rate, and making the heart work to hard. I nod, look real concerned, and go home and drink a cup of coffee. Yeah, whatever.

10. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

I love coffee and tea, im partial to double cream in my coffee, sometimes i make a floater where the cream sits on top of the coffee and you drink it through the cream. Theres a lot of nice tasting instant coffee coming out now too, i have a tassimo machine but got bored of it.

11. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Weirdly enough I only like the cofee from Oxxo (Mexican seven eleven) I hate cofee from elsewhere.
    Have any of you tried cuban cofee? My grandma lives in Cuba and when I came to visit her my tastebuds got knocked out by just a little sip of it.

12. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Oooh. Double cream? That sounds promising. Is that similar to heavy cream? I wonder if I can get my hands on some here in the US...

13. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Cuban coffee? Never thought about that. I wonder if US/Cuban relations have improved enough that I'd be able to find that? Stupid embargos...

14. James17 Well Known Member Member

I've heard that there is a coffee grown on five acres in Jamaica but the beans are over $100.00 U.S. per pound.
    ,It would be nice to try but that's expensive.

15. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I think cuban cofee is famous in Florida. Now you have an excuse to go on a trip to Florida lol.

16. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I just did a little research, and it is now legal to import Cuban coffee into the US. For the last several months. I'm going to try to find some...

17. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Double means full fat im guessing you get full and half and no fat in the US.

18. radar Member Member

Personally I think Starbucks coffee is grossly overrated. Just my opinion. I do down several cups of coffee a day.

19. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Heres what im working with at the moment. f4c591b255097fc7a5f981c47be2e79d.jpg the azera and kenco are instant.
    51780fbc9881f3029cf4de032e1ab2e3.jpg im having an azera with double cream

20. MommaLake Well Known Member Member

Coffee is my bff. Starbucks will do if I'm in a pinch but I prefer my own coffee at home. I like dark roast, fresh ground pour over style. Or French press. A big cup made with 3 scoops of coffee (for one cup) with two teaspoons of sugar and whole milk. I have that religiously every morning and sometimes 1 more later in the day.

21. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

Oops again... here's what I meant to say.;)

You guys have me cracking up talking about Cuban coffee and embargoes. I guess it is recent that actual Cuban coffee can be imported by the consumer but, I live in South FL and feel like I've been drinking it my whole life. I can remember a friend's mom making us weak Cafe con Leche when I was in 2nd grade.

Most people around here just get Pilon or Bustello brand coffee from the grocery store. Brew it up in a stovetop espresso maker, or an actual machine if you've got one. It has a very dark, strong flavor and is always served sweet unless you specifically ask for no sugar.

A strong sweet little shot of coffee is called a Colada, while a Cuban 'latte' is classicly made with steamed evaporated milk and is called a Cafe con Leche. These coffee drinks are available on just about every street corner down here, even at most grocery stores. I sometimes get a shot from Publix's deli counter before I start the grocery shopping. It's totally yummy.:joyful: