Anyone else in China?

• Thread starter fishkeepinginaisa
  • Start date

fishkeepinginaisa

Any fishkeepers on this forum in China? Preferably in Guangdong.

mimo91088

Well Known
I wish! China is like the holy land of fishkeeping lol

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
If I am correct smee82 lives in China

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
mimo91088 said:
I don’t know if it’s the holy land of fish keeping. To me like everything else that comes out of China and Asia. They just mass produce. Yes there are a few professional breeders but most just mass produce. We use to have wholesalers and wearhouses who breed their own fish. These fish were a lot stronger than the fish sold today. But the Asian market has stopped all of that by breeding so much that they sell for next to nothing. Pretty much stopped the amateur breeder. Chinese market breeds the opposite of the German market. But cheap price always triumphs over quality. It is a shame.

fishkeepinginaisa

mimo91088 said:
haha man is it ever! You'll never believe how cheap I have seen Asian arowanas for. I contacted a guy about buying a Channa Barca and he told me he could get me one for 1,000 yuan which is less than $150 USD. That blew my mind

86 ssinit said:
I don’t know if it’s the holy land of fish keeping. To me like everything else that comes out of China and Asia. They just mass produce. Yes there are a few professional breeders but most just mass produce. We use to have wholesalers and wearhouses who breed their own fish. These fish were a lot stronger than the fish sold today. But the Asian market has stopped all of that by breeding so much that they sell for next to nothing. Pretty much stopped the amateur breeder. Chinese market breeds the opposite of the German market. But cheap price always triumphs over quality. It is a shame.
I think it really depends what species. For species that are really popular here like Asian Arowana and discus, the fish are top notch. But I will add that those are the fish in the tanks here. I know what gets exported isn't always the best.

DoubleDutch said:
If I am correct smee82 lives in China
Epic, I will try and get it touch. Tianjin is in Northern China and I'm down here in Shenzhen, but I'd still love to get in contact!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Well both Arowana and Discus are less popular now than in the 80s. Discus coming out of Asia are hit or miss and can be problematic if mixed with another breeders discus. While a German discus seem to be much stronger and easier to keep. Yes the Asian discus are more colorful but you have to wonder how much hormones they are using and will the fish keep its color. Here you really have to know your seller before buying. I have 4 discus coming this month from forest. They are suppose to be the best quality.

smee82

Ive been here since 03 l. Spent a year in tangshan and the rest if the time ive been in tianjin.

Not sur how long youve been here but rule number is never believe what anyone tells you until its in your hands.

If you have anynon fish related questions or problems send me a message.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
smee82 said:
Ive been here since 03 l. Spent a year in tangshan and the rest if the time ive been in tianjin.

Not sur how long youve been here but rule number is never believe what anyone tells you until its in your hands.

If you have anynon fish related questions or problems send me a message.
Or untill it is on your plate.

smee82

DoubleDutch said:
Or untill it is on your plate.
Nope too much fake stuff to trust whats on your plate. Search Chinese fake food and you will see what i mean.

Top Bottom