Anyone Else Heard This?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was at the LFS today and they had no oscars. I asked the owner about it and he said that the cold weather in Florida has really put a hurt on the available population right now.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Evening BB...seems I remember some posts back in the winter about how hard Florida was hit and their tropical fish due to the freeze.

Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Man, oh man. I can't believe I haven't heard about this. This is terrible! The poor producers.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I talked to a few people down there who work in and around the farms and in the case of cichlids most of the fry seemed to be ok. However the biggest number of loss was in the large mature pairs of cichlids. So it will take some time to rebound to grow the fry to become mature they start spawning those and waiting for their spawns to become large enough to sell. Some cases may be 6-8 months for maturity then waiting to grow out spawns. But not all species were affected so... just depends.

Brian

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I talked to a few people down there who work in and around the farms and in the case of cichlids most of the fry seemed to be ok. However the biggest number of loss was in the large mature pairs of cichlids. So it will take some time to rebound to grow the fry to become mature they start spawning those and waiting for their spawns to become large enough to sell. Some cases may be 6-8 months for maturity then waiting to grow out spawns. But not all species were affected so... just depends.

Brian
Can you get someone to send me a healthy oscar?:innocent0001: I've been good. See, I have a halo and everything

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We got healthy oscars up here all over the place. Don't know how to ship a fish though or I'd help you out.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JUst say the word!!!!!! Tell me what u want and Ill get it for u and to u!!!!!!!!!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
We got healthy oscars up here all over the place. Don't know how to ship a fish though or I'd help you out.
Thank you, that's so sweet!

my local walmart has about 20 of them in one tank and they werent there last week so...;:barf
Hmmm, that's interesting. Maybe it's just this store's supplier.

JUst say the word!!!!!! Tell me what u want and Ill get it for u and to u!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Lori! I found some at Petsmart and Petco. I may get one from them if I feel it's healthy.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just read the article. Sad how a lot of them die because of the cold. Poor fishies... Poor BB... Hope you eventually get your Oscar.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey good evening everyone.
Here in East Tennessee we are having a problem finding healthy Mollies. When I asked about it the guy told me that it was because of the cold weather in FL. Bt he also told me that some had froze and was then thawed, then they would come back to life. That's why all the ones in stores are sickly. I'm not sure that I buy the thawing part but I could see cold weather could make them sickly.

What do you all think about that? Could they really come back to life?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom