Funny Anyone else have this problem with cholla?

wateriswet
Has anyone else ever had a fish get stuck in a piece of cholla? I just restarted my 20 high with a desert theme and all live plants. Got everything situated just so. Added my 5 cherry barbs and the prefilter sponge from an established tank and they looked happy and great. Fast forward a few hours and I can't find one of the fish. Wait a few more hours and really worry because I don't see it anywhere. Tear apart my new scape, literally look under every stone, in the filter, and finally notice that it's 6 inches into a 12 inch piece of wood and very stuck. I had to get wire cutters and cut it out of the wood. Now I've shoved filter floss in every cholla end to block the entrance. Problem is that I eventually want to add cherry shrimp and they like to hang inside cholla (and the filter floss makes it look like q-tips).

Has anyone else had issues with fish and cholla? Or do I just have a 'special' fish?

Demeter
Open water schooling fish wouldn't normally go inside things like caves and cholla wood. Sounds more like a freak accident to me. I have several pieces of cholla and the only fish that like going into it is my kuhli loaches, shrimp and snails of course love it too. I have all sorts of fish with cholla wood including dwarf rainbow species, rasboras, and bettas and never have I had anyone get stuck in it except the occasional ramshorn snail.

wateriswet
So.... Just had a different cherry barb get stuck for 5+ hours. Definitely not the same one because the first one to get stuck has a beat up tail now. It is only the 5 female barbs in the tank so nothing to chase or scare them. I've never heard of this but it kind of sucks because I spent forever boiling, cleaning, and tyeing moss to this. My profile pic is one of my kuhlis chilling by his cholla and my shrimp love it too. Any advice besides pulling it all out?

Latest threads

Top Bottom