Funny Anyone else have a super-aggressive betta?!?

Finlikesfish

Hello my fish-loving friends! How are you all?
Not a question, just something funny I’ve noticed that I wondered if anyone else had experienced!

I have a betta called Dart, who I love dearly. He’s a funny creature, though!
I’m a beginner and I have just bought my first live plants (very exciting)! I attached some needle-leaf java fern to a piece of wood and bought some lovely floaters.
My betta has never had live plants before this apart from moss balls. He had silk plants and the moss balls in his tank, neither of which he has ever paid much attention.

When I put in the java fern, he spent a few minutes trying to attack it’s roots! However, a minute later he had determined that the spooky, scary plant was NOT a threat to his territory (phew!).

He then tried multiple times to eat/attack his floaters!
(Don’t worry he settled down).
I think that if he can’t handle plants, we might steer away from snails for the moment!

Does anyone else have a betta like this? I get that bettas are meant to be aggressive to some other fish, but - plants?

Or any stories of super-chill bettas?
I was just curious! Maybe I’m not alone XD

Falena

Well Known
I have a betta that does this too! Its hunting instinct, I think they mistake the little roots for worms lol!
Sometimes there are micro organisms living in those roots that they hunt too.
My betta has always lived in a planted tank but if a root so much as catches the current and moves a little, off he goes haha!
Your little Dart probably has a high prey drive, like my Phantom. And it is, in my experience an indicator of a betta that may hunt his tank mates!
I have mellow dudes that live in communities too, but they don't attack roots lol!

PowderHound

Haha, your Dart sounds like quite the character! I have two male bettas myself; Gallifrey and Hoth. Gal was my first fish that I bought and I do think he’s older. He is extremely laid back and just hangs out with whoever his tank mates may be. He shares pellets at the bottom with corys and I’ve also caught him resting right up in some water lettuce roots hanging with one of my Neocaridina shrimps. His current community tank is being overrun by shrimplets and an active breeding celestial pearl danio pair and I don’t think he’s even thought about snacking on any young! As I said I believe this is due to age; he misses his food often even though I’ve put it right out within striking distance. I usually spend extra time friend him to make sure he eats.
Hoth was supposed to be a baby female— rude surprise there! Hoth enjoys snacking on shrimp for sure. I thought I had enough cover in there as it worked fine with Gal inhabited that tank... I learned the hard way there...
Falena said:
I have a betta that does this too! Its hunting instinct, I think they mistake the little roots for worms lol!
Sometimes there are micro organisms living in those roots that they hunt too.
My betta has always lived in a planted tank but if a root so much as catches the current and moves a little, off he goes haha!
Your little Dart probably has a high prey drive, like my Phantom.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this info!

Bettas are so full of character!

New Threads