Anyone Else Frustratingly Disadvantaged By Location?

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Because I live on an island near the end of the earth it so hard to get anything here. I have one pet store near me and it doesn't even sell tanks bigger than 3 ft. They get snapped up in seconds if they come up second hand, it's outrageous to buy tanks new and you can't buy them online/ebay etc, no one will ship them here.

There would never be such a thing as a $1 per gallon sale here for a big tank you are talking thousands. I'm starting to wonder if a glazier would make me one.

I get really jealous of what I see people pick up on here, I have chosen a bad hobby. Anyone else limited by their location?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could indeed try to find a company that would make the glass you want, but you would probably have to assemble it yourself. Probably with help as the individual panes can be rather heavy lol.

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm pretty scared to trust my own sealing of one. Then if it leaks my husband can blame me lol

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yeah i've heard the hobby can be rather expensive down under, plus i think some livestock is limited due to importation laws. @ryanr and @johnbirg are in australia, as are several other members on here

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes. Your LFS can order in a tank but it's very costly. If I had to do it again I would wait until I found a secondhand one. Doesn't stop at tanks either, I live in a rural area and have to get almost everything online. So if I need something or something breaks I can be waiting a week or more for parts which is scary and is the main reason that I run two filters on each of my tanks.

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, Australia's pretty expensive and there are quite a lot of rules on what fish are legal and what fish are not.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, here too but not in the same way

Due to medical reasons I am unable to leave home like I used to years ago. This means that although there are fish & aquatic equipment suppliers relatively close to where I live, I am unable to make use of them - they do not deliver, not even locally. I used to love visiting the local suppliers and see first hand what was available and check out what was new and so forth

However now that my circumstances have changed I have had to find reputable online suppliers and basically trust them to supply what I want and in the case of fish, I have to also trust them to take care of the fish and only send healthy animals. So my aquatic equipment travels by courier around 200 miles and my fish travel by courier around 350 miles

I have only been let down badly by one fish supplier, so on recommendation found another and so far they have delivered superb, healthy & happy fish (my Cory's started producing eggs within a week of arrival and I have my second generation of babies currently) and my equipment supplier has been absolutely awesome both in customer service and efficiency....so although I miss going out, I am still appreciative that I can continue this rewarding pastime despite everything else

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well even here in the states large tanks cost in the thousands.
Yes i know but i have seen so many people that get them second hand for cheap which doesnt really happen here. Also i mean that in the few stores here even basic 4 ft tanks are often to $1000. Edit.. I mean with a stand.

I'm in Tasmania so an island off the South of Australia. I'm talking way more disadvantaged than mainland Australia. If I was in the vicinity of Melboune or Sydney that would be way easier. I'm paying double freight here too.

Yes. Your LFS can order in a tank but it's very costly. If I had to do it again I would wait until I found a secondhand one. Doesn't stop at tanks either, I live in a rural area and have to get almost everything online. So if I need something or something breaks I can be waiting a week or more for parts which is scary and is the main reason that I run two filters on each of my tanks.
My LFS won't even order them in sizes above I think 180 Litres is their biggest. And even then it's crazy money.

I thought I had a 120 gallon second hand but someone ended up buying it before I could pick it up. I look at gumtree daily and ebay. I always see them on the mainland and get so annoyed lol.

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Taswegian,
I sometimes think we have it tough but never thought about good old Tassie.
Obviously there is a market for aquariums and supplies but a shortage of suppliers. Not sure what, if anything, can be done about it but it must be frustrating to not be able to get the things you need.
Bugger!!!!!!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
Yep, we have it a bit rough when it comes to hobbies. Economies of scale mean that everything is relatively more expensive here, and Tassie makes it worse... Transportation/freight costs alone are ridiculous.

I do know that most dedicated aquariums (not a chain store) will build to order, not saying it's cheap, but they will. Freighting aquariums is a huge risk, thus many won't do it. My 3ft reef tank, stand and sump was circa $1800 AUD, but that was a pretty outrageous build.

I would contact a reputable LFS/aquarium and ask them to quote on what you want.

Oh, and from what I understand, even the dollar/gallon sales are limited to a max 'common' tank size as to what they stock. i.e. probably 10,20,50 (like up to 3ft) tanks.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And a lot of the rules don’t make any sense. For example why would Yoyo loaches be an allowable import but not Zebra loaches?
Each species is on a stringent list. Basically if you want to import a species into Aus, it has to be done through submitting a report that the species is not a danger to the Australian ecosystem (already had a few scares) which get scrutinized before either accepted or rejected.

And yes, this is done for pretty much every single species. So yeah, even closely related organisms have to go through this process.

Edit: but as for the OP question, no. I thankfully live in Melbourne, which seems to have a pretty good aquarium culture where I can get most things I want (and often can shop around). The only thing I feel at a disadvantage is that newer strains take a little too long for my liking to hit our shores (super reds (BN) hit our shores I think a couple of years back, and it's just until recently fry has dropped from $50 to $40 each.... and there seems to be no good angel varieties available IMO, and very little show quality fish in general)

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
Yep, we have it a bit rough when it comes to hobbies. Economies of scale mean that everything is relatively more expensive here, and Tassie makes it worse... Transportation/freight costs alone are ridiculous.

I do know that most dedicated aquariums (not a chain store) will build to order, not saying it's cheap, but they will. Freighting aquariums is a huge risk, thus many won't do it. My 3ft reef tank, stand and sump was circa $1800 AUD, but that was a pretty outrageous build.

I would contact a reputable LFS/aquarium and ask them to quote on what you want.

Oh, and from what I understand, even the dollar/gallon sales are limited to a max 'common' tank size as to what they stock. i.e. probably 10,20,50 (like up to 3ft) tanks.
I'm honestly not aware of any dedicated fish stores in Southern Tasmania. I might have to fish around harder.. lol sorry

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Each species is on a stringent list. Basically if you want to import a species into Aus, it has to be done through submitting a report that the species is not a danger to the Australian ecosystem (already had a few scares) which get scrutinized before either accepted or rejected.

And yes, this is done for pretty much every single species. So yeah, even closely related organisms have to go through this process.
Yes applying for an amendment to the import list is a very complicated and lengthy process. This is the current list of freshwater fish permitted for import into Australia:

https://bicon.agriculture.gov.au/BiconWeb4.0/ViewElement/Element/Index?elementPk=1074290&caseElementPk=1095311

You can only get an import permit if the species is on the list.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very interesting thread. Speaking from someone who also lives in a very rural area (by choice), "Where there's a will, there's a way" regarding the fish keeping hobby.
There's really no shortage of aquarium supplies in Oklahoma, just long distances to town. Fish & supplies are usually cheaper here. Can't buy Piranhas here.
It's probably a good thing Australia rigidly regulates fish & exotics imports. Look what happened to Florida. The waterways & canals are overflowing with Central & South American fish, Red Devils, Rivulatus, Oscars, Mayan Cichlids Peacock Bass, even big African Cichlids.. Giant Anocondas & Boa Constrictors inhabit the swamps. Not really a good thing, although sportsman probably aren't complaining too much about the fishing. Good luck obtaining a big tank.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can't your husband build and seal it for you? Sealing a tank is easier than most think. Good luck.

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can't your husband build and seal it for you? Sealing a tank is easier than most think. Good luck.
He's not really into my hobby so no. He is kind of like, fine as long as i don't have to do anything. He helps me lift things though. For the record I re sealed our bathroom with silicone and did a good job, i am often more the handy one in our relationship with that kind of thing, however he outdoes me on the chainsaw, backing the trailer, swinging an axe and ditch digging by quite a lot haha As far as sealing a large aquarium, i am way too scared, the stakes are just to high that it would leak and i would feel like a dummy, especially talking near the 500 litres I want. I'm so worried about leaks I got a wifi water sensor and have it next to my canister filter and a secondary 85 decibel leak detector in case the wifi one fails haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom