Anyone else always have 0.25 ammonia?

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
36 gallon tank, no live pants, 5 small cory cats, 6 tetras, 6 young electric blue acaras

Running air and a fluval c4 with zeo-carb as chemical and c-nodes in bio chamber

I tend to always have 0.25 ammonia using the api liquid test kit. I never have nitrite, but i do rapidly produce nitrates.

My tap water tests with all zeros.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Which water conditioner do you use? I used to get a .25 reading all the time when I used prime. Never had any issues from it though.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I tested this once using the API kit and the Seachem Master Test kit - it's a false reading on behalf of the API kit that doesn't differentiate between Ammonia and Ammonium - the latter of which is harmless in small quantities. The 0.25 reading you consistently see is most likely Ammonium being picked up by the test.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use Prime and don't get readings of ammonia from it.

Is it possible you're having an ammonia spike? When was the last time you added fish, and how many did you add?

maintankpage

Reaction score
I just went threw this .. do small water changes everyday to every 3 or 4 days.. honestly ive tried everything to get mine down and thats really the only way along with patience.. let nature take its course

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do us prime. Its probably been 2 weeks since i added 4 of the acaras, but this was happening before that too.
I am planning on changing up my filter media a little bit: ordered a filter max 3 prefilter to add to the intake tube, add 50 micron poly pad behind existing foam pad, replace zero-carb with 100ml bag of seachem purigen, 100 ml bag of seachem matrixcarbon, and a bag of seachem matrix all in the chemicalbasket of the C4 filter. Eventually i will replace the existing C-nodes with matrix too but obviously i plan to wait awhile to do that.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also i currently do water changes every 4 to 6 days already as i am rapidly producing nitrates....i plan to tone down the feeding a little bit to help with this and hoping the media setup will also help with nitrate control

maintankpage

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan.. it could be a mini cycle and should correct shortly.. keep up the updates.. curious qs to how you make out

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a .25 reading for over a year while using prime (I'd doubt an ammonia spike for that long), the water change I swapped to using premier (not because I had problems with prime, I just wanted to try it) it went away.
I think if your water has more chlorine for the prime to convert, you may get small readings from the ammonium. If your water was already lowish on chlorine, then it doesn't even register on the API test kit.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i received all the new media on friday and had it all in the tank by noon on saturday...added 50 micron poly pad behind stock C4 foam/poly pad, chemical basket has Seachem purigen and matrix carbon (100ml bags each) ... then i filled the rest of the space with Seachem matrix that i put in a media bag tfor easy handling...obviously i rinsed everything with tank water first...left existing cnodes intouched in the bio area....ended up not using the filter max 3 prefilter as the sponge is much bigger than anticipated and i really didnt like its appearance in my tank....after 30+ hrs i can see a difference in how "clean" my water appears...i was pretty sure i had clear water before now, and wasnt sure just what to expect but i can see a difference...it prob has more to do with the 50 micron pad more than anything but either it looks incredible....api test kit numbers to follow...

So after a 15gal water change on saturday..ammonia was a solid 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates a solid 10....just took new readings...ammonia (for the first time ever) was slightly less than 0.25, i guess .15 to .20! Nitrites 0 and nitrates between 10 and 20!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm late here, saw your request on another thread. Seems like you're doing everything alright. I think sometimes with newish tanks that little bit of ammonia (could be ammonium depending on your ph) hangs around for months with some people. My first tank had ammonia readings like that for 6 months but then one day it was just gone and never came back.
ghostlybosun that could be true with chloramines which is ammonia and chlorine but not chlorine by itself. But you have a good point as prime would detoxify the unbound ammonia to ammonium. People with chloramines would therefore always have an ammonia reading after a water change (with the API test kit) but after a day it should be gone.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
imageimage

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
On further inspection, switching to premier shouldn't have made a difference in my ammonium reading on the API test kit, so I have no idea why I don't get that reading after a water change anymore.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom