Anyone culture blackworms?

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've seen a few videos about how easy it is to culture blackworms and think I'm going to give it a try. I have an unused 3.5 gallon I was thinking of keeping them in.

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
I was not under the impression that blackworms were easy to culture in useful quantities, but then again I have never tried. Hope you prove me wrong :)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haven't done any live cultures yet but following to see how you make out. Good luck. What types of fish are you planning on feeding them to?

OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got some cories and young apistos. The killies would probably go for them too.

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
BettaBender said:
I've got some cories and young apistos. The killies would probably go for them too.
I had adult nothobranchius go for microworms before...I'm sure something bigger like blackworms would be more attractive to them, though.

OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
- You really just need a small tank. I have a 3.5 gallon that isn't being used. You don't even need to fill it all the way up. They do need clean water though.
- You need a substrate. Gravel is apparently best, which is already in my 3.5.
- They need a sponge filter. That's not hard to find.
- They need a food source. Apparently the worm farms use those brown paper towels you find in bathrooms or napkins. They eat anything organic so I'm thinking about throwing in some algae pellets.
- They don't lay eggs. If you cut one in half they will eventually grow into two worms, but that could take a while.

That doesn't sound too hard.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use micro worms and banana worms, I like these better as black worms are grown in very nasty water and usually if a parasite we’re to fall off a fish it would fall to the bottom of the lake where the worms are.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CichlidJynx said:
I use micro worms and banana worms, I like these better as black worms are grown in very nasty water and usually if a parasite we’re to fall off a fish it would fall to the bottom of the lake where the worms are.
Which is the very reason people try to culture blackworms, to avoid the bad conditions and polluted fish food. I've never tried to culture blackworms, but did have a culture of a Tubifex-like worm that was maintained in the bottom of a Daphnia culture.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
chromedome52 said:
Which is the very reason people try to culture blackworms, to avoid the bad conditions and polluted fish food. I've never tried to culture blackworms, but did have a culture of a Tubifex-like worm that was maintained in the bottom of a Daphnia culture.
If you start with a bad culture your just growing bad food, it all starts at the source. I’m not saying it’s impossible to get the worms “clean” but it’s very hard to tell the difference between a healthy black worm and ones that’s dying. Meds will be your friend but it takes time

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have also looked into starting a culture. I was going to use a 5 gallon. Some gravel and feed some flakes pellets wafers. Take first culture cut them in half and toss them in. But you need to do water changes and the don't need a sponge filter. Just an airstone for oxygenation. Idk how to get a sponge filter inside small amount of water correctly.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rcslade124 said:
I have also looked into starting a culture. I was going to use a 5 gallon. Some gravel and feed some flakes pellets wafers. Take first culture cut them in half and toss them in. But you need to do water changes and the don't need a sponge filter. Just an airstone for oxygenation. Idk how to get a sponge filter inside small amount of water correctly.
Aquarium coop has a nano sponge filter that is quiet small

OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rcslade124 said:
Idk how to get a sponge filter inside small amount of water correctly.
In one of the videos I saw the guy just shoved a small air stone into some sponge.

New Threads