Anyone build their own canister filter and find it worth it?

BullyBee

I’m thinking of building my own canister filter out of a 5 gallon bucket because of the amount of biological filter I could fit in it. Anyone do this and find it worth it?

the tank is either 125 or 150 gallons haven’t decided yet.

Mrfister1116

I didn’t build one, but I thought about it allot and ended up doing a sunp for about the same budget ... maybe thing about it

jake37

It might be easier to build a sump than a canister filter ?

BullyBee said:
I’m thinking of building my own canister filter out of a 5 gallon bucket because of the amount of biological filter I could fit in it. Anyone do this and find it worth it?

the tank is either 125 or 150 gallons haven’t decided yet.

BullyBee

there’s no way I can build a sump for freshwater for the amount it cost to build my own filter.

To build a sump for a 150 would require Atleast a 40 breeder. That’s $160 (Canadian, my wife is Canadian so I moved there....I don’t want to talk about it). Then I need a glass shop to cut me baffles.

I just sold off my ecotech Vectra S2. I still have the battery back up Though.

I just don’t find the sump to be where I wanna be with freshwater. I’m doing a fahaka puffer and id have hella by pass over the bio media no matter how I do it.

jake37

Not at all. You could get a $15 40 gallon steralite container (wallmart or target) and add dividers in it for water flow and drill holes. It would require some thinking and work but the total cost would be a lot less than $160. Even a 5 gallon pail can be a mini sump or you could use a series of pails and have the water flow from one pail to the next. The trick is to ensure the water passes through the media instead of over or around.

BullyBee said:
there’s no way I can build a sump for freshwater for the amount it cost to build my own filter.

To build a sump for a 150 would require Atleast a 40 breeder. That’s $160 (Canadian, my wife is Canadian so I moved there....I don’t want to talk about it). Then I need a glass shop to cut me baffles.

I just sold off my ecotech Vectra S2. I still have the battery back up Though.

I just don’t find the sump to be where I wanna be with freshwater. I’m doing a fahaka puffer and id have hella by pass over the bio media no matter how I do it.

BullyBee

I should have added I’m not doing this to save money, I’m doing this because I want to add as much bio media as I obsessively can and what better place to put it then a 5 gallon bucket.

I firmly believe from experience that 1lb of Seachem Pond matrix per 10 gallons of water is the way to go, Atleast for me. I know you can’t put a real Mathematical equation for bio media because outside factors like fish matter, but I am doing a fahaka puffer. They have a huge bio load from what I read.

I figure a FX4 and a diy canister with just biomedia should do it

jake37

Yes but that is what a sump is known for - holding huge amounts of media. Anyway think about it what is the difference between a canister filter and a sump ?

BullyBee said:
I should have added I’m not doing this to save money, I’m doing this because I want to add as much bio media as I obsessively can and what better place to put it then a 5 gallon bucket.

I firmly believe from experience that 1lb of Seachem Pond matrix per 10 gallons of water is the way to go, Atleast for me. I know you can’t put a real Mathematical equation for bio media because outside factors like fish matter, but I am doing a fahaka puffer. They have a huge bio load from what I read.

I figure a FX4 and a diy canister with just biomedia should do it

BullyBee

jake37 said:
Yes but that is what a sump is known for - holding huge amounts of media. Anyway think about it what is the difference between a canister filter and a sump ?
My biggest problem with a sump is it’s lack of mechanical filtration. Filter socks are useless and a filter roller is only truly good if I’m using a protein skimmer. Which I’m not using because this is fresh water.

I love sumps for the extra water volume they add, the use of devices like ATO and the ability to have a refugium.

So I’ll go along with you, tell me, how would you set up a sump so you have as effective amount of mechanical filtration (and purigen) to be as effective as a canister

jake37

I'm not sure i follow your logic. You can fill a sump with sponges an and filter floss if you want - the same as a canister filter... There really isn't that big of a difference.

BullyBee said:
My biggest problem with a sump is it’s lack of mechanical filtration. Filter socks are useless and a filter roller is only truly good if I’m using a protein skimmer. Which I’m not using because this is fresh water.

I love sumps for the extra water volume they add, the use of devices like ATO and the ability to have a refugium.

So I’ll go along with you, tell me, how would you set up a sump so you have as effective amount of mechanical filtration (and purigen) to be as effective as a canister

BullyBee

I have a 40gallon breeder in my base
jake37 said:
I'm not sure i follow your logic. You can fill a sump with sponges an and filter floss if you want - the same as a canister filter... There really isn't that big of a difference.
Sumps have nowhere near the mechanical filtration that a canister has.

I could do something like this:
EE70DB3F-F66D-44FD-B9CE-B1264E3C293D.jpeg

have one chamber for pads then one chamber for bio media. Then a third for return pump and Be done. That’s a 40 breeder I had mad for me. That’s my basement. That’s a sump under That tank. It was actually for that breeder. I was gonna do brackish.

I’m not anti-sump. I just don’t see the benefit of it for this application.

I don’t need the extra water a sump provided for stability as I’m doing Atleast 120 gallons. I don’t need an ATO because I’m not doing a marine or brackish tank. I’m not using any chemical reactors because all I use is Purigen.

jake37

I guess it is a matter of view. IMHO a stump is just a large canister filter. The water flow tends to be a little slower but that also means the media has more time to operate on the water (more biological filtering). The mechanical filtration depends on the total amount of water per unit of time flowing through the sump vs canister filter as well as the media. There is nothing that dictates a stump has to be larger than a canister filter - just typical convention and effectiveness. To me the primary difference (if there is one) is the canister filter is sealed to allow for faster flow of water without spillage but conversely if that is the difference you view then you have to make the top of your pail water tight as well as able to withstand increase pressure on the top to prevent leakage. But there is no reason why your pail can't have an open top and why you can't use 5 pails under your tank (though sterilite containers might be more effective).
--
I guess from this discussion your view of a sump differs from myself.

BullyBee

jake37 said:
I guess it is a matter of view. IMHO a stump is just a large canister filter. The water flow tends to be a little slower but that also means the media has more time to operate on the water (more biological filtering). The mechanical filtration depends on the total amount of water per unit of time flowing through the sump vs canister filter as well as the media. There is nothing that dictates a stump has to be larger than a canister filter - just typical convention and effectiveness. To me the primary difference (if there is one) is the canister filter is sealed to allow for faster flow of water without spillage but conversely if that is the difference you view then you have to make the top of your pail water tight as well as able to withstand increase pressure on the top to prevent leakage. But there is no reason why your pail can't have an open top and why you can't use 5 pails under your tank (though sterilite containers might be more effective).
--
I guess from this discussion your view of a sump differs from myself.
I don’t think I’m gonna make my own canister. Too many issues can Happen.

I still haven’t ruled out a sump 100%. Mainly because of the whole refugium thing.

either way I love talking fish and I think you’re right. We just look at it differently.

Top Bottom